    To save money, voice over ip is essential and indispensible. Then i'm
    wondering, how much do we need a Wi-Fi handset , when cordless ones
    being adequate in use?

    qiaoqianapply, Aug 15, 2007

  2. Wi-Fi is also cordless. Maybe you mean DECT which has no wires or cords
    to the handsets.

    DECT was designed to carry voice traffic, Wi-Fi is more general purpose.

    Today, I'd have DECT any day over Wi-Fi. (And I currently have both, but
    the DECT is superior with far better coverage)

    Some very good VoIP capable DECT phones are the Siemens range. Eg:

    http://www.provoip.co.uk/index.php?manufacturers_id=16

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 15, 2007

  3. qiaoqianapply

    mypost001 Guest

    I am a little confused by your question. Because Wi-Fi handset is also
    a cordless handset.

    But the Wi-Fi handset do have some advantages compared to traditional
    ones. And its most oustanding advantage would be the speed of access
    into the network which is up to 11Mbps, so it can meet the substantial
    files transmition. Other than that, it can spread its signal to a
    further distance.

    However in my opinion, the cordless DECT ip phones are ecential for
    your use which has less cost. You can find what you want at:https://
    host569.ipowerweb.com/~telecomc/osCommerce/catalog/index.php/cPath/21?
    osCsid=d2e3d32fa02d3fa4a301d758221fa49b

    mypost001, Aug 15, 2007
  4. qiaoqianapply

    yaoren51 Guest

    I agree with your opinion.I prefer cordless handset to Wi-Fi
    handset ,however skill of cordless is more mature than latter one.but
    I think the products of siemens are too high ,I have seen that one
    DECT voip phone are just sold 75 dollars .It can save you a lot of
    money.

    yaoren51, Aug 15, 2007
  5. Only this is the UK and we pay pounds here, and do be sure that the
    realyl cheap ones are real phones and not USB type phones which require
    your PC act as the "phone" part of it all.

    The Siemens ones have 2 connections - one to your existing BT wall socket
    and one Ethernet to your VoIP connection.

    But do qualify your idea of "cordless" technology. There are many types
    of cordless phone technology - the old rubbish analogue connections
    where you needed a telescoipc antennae to the new DECT standards and
    Wi-Fi, GSM, etc. which are also cordless...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 15, 2007
  6. qiaoqianapply

    tcspaypal Guest

    75 dollar = 38 pounds. it is different too many. after I follow the
    link of that Cordless phone, I found it is nearly as same as siemens.
    but it looks that I have to buy from China and Siemens is a great
    brand.

    tcspaypal, Aug 15, 2007
  7. + postage + import duty + VAT.

    I'm not convinced it's worth it - unless you travel to/from the US
    frequently and can smuggle it back.
    And buying from a UK distributor gives you someone to complain to if it
    should go wrong...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 15, 2007
  8. qiaoqianapply

    wikedhumor Guest

    Depends upon whether your dollar is Malay or Australia.
    Also the exchange rate varies daily. One days dollar is an other days
    nonsense.

    wik

    wikedhumor, Aug 15, 2007
  9. qiaoqianapply

    wikedhumor Guest

    Is not a wi-fi handset able to be totally independent of both PC and
    phone lines. Provided that the phone base is connected to a phone
    line a cordless phone works. A cordless Voip phone can mean that the
    base is plugged into a USB on a switched on PC. A true WiFi phone
    only needs a Broadband modem/router to be switched on. Surely?

    Wik

    wikedhumor, Aug 15, 2007
  10. qiaoqianapply

    Prometheus Guest

    And a product from another country might not be legal in the UK, it also
    might not work if it is on a different frequency.

    Prometheus, Aug 16, 2007
  11. qiaoqianapply

    Prometheus Guest

    Just how much speed do you need? Remember it is only voice, a few
    hundred k should be enough.

    Prometheus, Aug 16, 2007