    John Nelson Guest

    Yes, VPN. As long as they don't block the ports being used by the
    tunnel, there's no way to block what goes through the tunnel.

    John Nelson, May 11, 2005

  2. pjsmoot

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Sort of, but there are diminishing returns at play. The benefit accruing to
    the network effect from $10,000 spent on rural telephone deployment is quite
    tiny compared to that realized from the same expenditure in a civilized
    area.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 11, 2005

  3. What's next? Cable TV? A computer? A car? We're talking slippery slope
    here...

    -Stephen

    Stephen M. Adams, May 11, 2005
  4. pjsmoot

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Stephen M. Adams wrote:
    Only if you have a phone in the US. The law (state or federal?) mandates
    that the phone company supports 911 (and in some places e911) AND it
    says that the phone company can add an amount to support the expense.

    Rick Merrill, May 11, 2005
  5. pjsmoot

    Rick Merrill Guest

    We're probably looking at differences in State laws. In Massachusetts
    the POTS phone cannot be discontinued for non-payment without a hearing.
    And if there are only people over 65 (I think) then the phone cannot be
    disconnected.

    Rick Merrill, May 11, 2005
  6. pjsmoot

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Slippery slope? You'd better believe it :)

    Rick Merrill, May 11, 2005
  7. pjsmoot

    John Nelson Guest

    Rubbish. There is a world of difference between a utility that, among
    other things, provides the ability to summon help from the government
    agencies that virtually every citizen's tax dollars pay to maintain.
    Think fire, police, and medical. And let us be clear, we are NOT talking
    about providing these things "for free". We are talking about
    regulations that ensure that such things are provided to all customers
    at a reasonable rate; one that is nominally affordable for the consumer,
    and (at least) nominally profitable for the carrier.

    John Nelson, May 12, 2005
  8. The user of the system does not bear even a remote resemblance of the
    actual cost of the system. There are alternatives for summoning aid
    to a copper-line telephone. Alternatives that are far cheaper than
    forcing the entire rate-base to pay tens of thousands of dollars
    PER line to wire remote communities.

    And those regulations came about BEFORE 911.

    -Stephen

    Stephen M. Adams, May 12, 2005