    It beats dial-up, by a little (and isn't as reliable), but costs about
    five times as much, plus installation. When it works, downloads are
    fine. Uploads are OK, not great. Typing is awful.

    Charlie Self, Nov 3, 2007

  2. Juan Moore Beer

    Ron Hunter Guest

    One of my nephews was going to try satellite (he lives in the 'sticks'),
    but I haven't talked to him since he told me. He was getting it so he
    could make good use of his iPhone Wi-Fi. Oh well, it's his money! I
    think he was going to pay something like $70/month for 3mbps/.5mbps.
    Not totally outrageous.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 3, 2007

  3. Juan Moore Beer

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Have you checked into broadband through the electric service? That
    might well be in rural areas in a few years. It is supposed to be
    coming to this area next year. Will wait to see how it works.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 3, 2007
  4. Juan Moore Beer

    Paul Bartram Guest

    Until you consider the data caps (at least here in Australia). I can get
    basic satellite for $30 a month but you only get 500 Mb for that.

    As for over power-wire service, I don't think that has been attempted in
    Australia yet, although it would be a logical way to get broadband to the
    outback, since even isolated stations are connected to the power grid these
    days.

    We are in federal election mode right now, so mana is showering down from
    the heavens, vainly dodging the flocks of flying pigs!

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Nov 4, 2007
  5. Juan Moore Beer

    Charlie Self Guest

    AEP has no discoverable plans for broadband on the poles that I can
    find. Both Verizon and the local cable company (whatever its name is
    this week) have plans, but vague, and undated, as they have been for
    at least five years.

    I've done city (NYC, Albany--and Parkersburg, WV), suburban
    (Westchester) and rural. Rural is preferable in most ways at my
    present age, but not this way.

    Charlie Self, Nov 4, 2007