The Dangers of a Rural Photographic Expedition (slightly o.t.)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Juan Moore Beer, Nov 1, 2007.

  1. Expedition may be an an exaggeration, but Danger is not.

    It was a lovely day here in Western Pennsylvania two days ago. I decided
    to take a ride into a familiar rural area to see if I could capture some
    of the spectacular landscapes and other interesting features not common to
    my city.

    The autumn leaves were past there prime, but it was a great day
    regardless. This was mostly a ride around kind of day. I took most of my
    photos from the window of my car without much thought to setup, but it was
    a great day. I actually got some passably nice photos. A covered bridge,
    some unique farming and small town architecture, landscapes and some
    photos of a few historic landmarks in the area.

    Everything was great until I decided to see what was on the radio. I love
    catching the occasional farm report, or local event listings that you
    cannot get it the city. To my great dismay I heard "Sylvia's mother says
    "Sylvia's happy" "So why don't you leave her alone?" And the operator says
    "40 cents more for the next 3 minutes" Ple-ease Mrs. Avery..."

    It's been 38 hours now.. The horror.

    -------

    Juan Moore Beer, Nov 1, 2007

  2. Juan Moore Beer

    Louis Ohland Guest

    It used to be one had three "choices" around Columbus, GA, - gospel,
    country AND western...

    Louis Ohland, Nov 1, 2007

  3. Juan Moore Beer

    Pat Guest

    I'm sorry but I missed you point. I live just over the PA border in
    NY, probably not far from where you were (I'm a bit east of Erie).

    What's the horror? What am I missing? Sorry.

    Pat, Nov 1, 2007
  4. Juan Moore Beer

    Louis Ohland Guest

    I'd say it's an understated way of saying the radio programming in the
    area is simplistic.

    Amish Paradise?

    Louis Ohland, Nov 1, 2007
  5. Juan Moore Beer

    ChrisM Guest

    In message W4lWi.7$,
    Or maybe just that the OP doesn't really like C&W music very much...(at
    all....ever...)

    ChrisM, Nov 1, 2007
  6. Juan Moore Beer

    Pat Guest

    Oh <blush>, but that's how all the radio stations are around here. So
    I guess I don't find it strange to have stuff like that on the radio.
    Heck, our local station has "Tradio" where you can call in and tell
    people what you have for sale or want to buy.

    To me, the OP's thing is normal. You want wierd, go to the
    Catskills. Between Binghamton and Libery you can drive for about 1/2
    hour on the expressway and get nothing. Nada. Zilch. Your seek just
    keeps going and going and going.

    When I first went near Buffalo in my van, I looked down at the radio
    dial and saw the name of the station and thought "cool". Then it
    showed the name of the song (and the artist) and I was like, "Wow". I
    didn't even know the radio could do that. Ahh, the pleasure of
    country living.

    Pat, Nov 1, 2007
  7. At the risk of passing my problem on to others, I now have the song
    "Silvia's Mother" constantly repeating itself in my head. A song much
    better left forgotten, IMHO.

    -------

    Juan Moore Beer, Nov 1, 2007
  8. Juan Moore Beer

    ChrisM Guest

    In message ,
    So have I now! Thanks a bunch mate!

    :)

    ChrisM, Nov 1, 2007
  9. Juan Moore Beer

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    Could be worse. Could be a rap or hip-hop station. Then you could listen to
    a bunch of overpaid no-talent performers brag about how much they get laid
    and how rich they are to deafening percussion.

    I wonder if my parents were as alienated by the Beatles as I am by rap?

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 1, 2007
  10. I'm with you, but it doesn't have the lasting effect. I don't like it,
    but as soon as the light changes, it coes away.

    ------

    Juan Moore Beer, Nov 1, 2007
  11. Juan Moore Beer

    Pat Guest

    Don't worry. You can come back this weekend and probably hear worse
    stuff. Or the same tape being played again.

    Silvia's Mother
    Silvia's Mother
    Silvia's Mother

    Pat, Nov 1, 2007
  12. Juan Moore Beer

    rwalker Guest

    snip

    "Sylvia's mother says
    Please Mrs. Avery, I just want to talk to her.....

    Now you've done it.

    rwalker, Nov 1, 2007
  13. Juan Moore Beer

    Paul Bartram Guest

    I think that's pretty average fare in any rural area, certainly here in
    Queensland Australia, where it is called 'Buy, Sell or Exchange'. Some of
    the things people want to exchange are worthy of a Simpsons episode...

    We also have a state-wide station that does nothing but broadcast horse
    racing (maybe greyhounds and drops of water on window panes too, I don't
    listen) and that would have to be 'can't miss' programming...
    On balance, yes. Rush hour is something you listen to on a distant city
    broadcast...

    Paul (Y'all come back now, hear?)

    Paul Bartram, Nov 2, 2007
  14. Juan Moore Beer

    Pat Guest

    I once joked to a friend that Syracuse NY (in upstate NY) didn't have
    a "rush hour" it had a "rush 15". Still, I'm always amazed when I get
    close enough to New York City to get their radio stations, that they
    have traffic reports around the clock. I can't fathom a traffic jam
    at 11:00 at night.

    Pat, Nov 2, 2007
  15. Juan Moore Beer

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Looks like you guys need to invest in satellite radio so you can go
    wherever you like and listen to what you want. Think of the localized
    radio fare as part of the 'rural experience'. Believe it or not, many
    of use LIKE that kind of programming.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 2, 2007
  16. Don't get me wrong, I like that kind of programming too. I just
    occasionally have to suffer from the effects of listening to a bad song
    with a catchy tune or phrase.

    One of the scenes that day explained a lot for me. I pulled off a fairly
    major road, perhaps the second busiest in the immediate area. It was
    mid-day, behind me was a beautiful barn dating from the 1790's. In front
    of me was a working covered bridge, under which flowed a gorgeous trout
    stream (The Casselman River). I could have parked in the middle of the
    road and had a picnic. There was just no traffic.

    The day before I was in our city watching hundreds of people eating fast
    food in a city parklet, with a few 10 X 10 patches of grass and a fountain.

    It doesn't take much to see what is more right between the two.

    Juan Moore Beer, Nov 2, 2007
  17. Juan Moore Beer

    Chris Dubea Guest

    Unfortunately that is what the conglomeration of Clear Channel
    Communications and Entercom et al have done to local radio.
    Essentially it doesn't exist any more. They have bought out virtually
    every radio station, eliminated all the local staff and then installed
    robot's to play whatever their research has deemed appropriate for the
    area.

    There was an article a while back about the usage of radio for civil
    defense purposes in rural areas. Evidently there was an incident in
    rural South Dakota and when local authorities attempted to use the
    local radio station to make a broadcast they were unable to because of
    corporate controls. The station was unmanned and the incident
    occurred on the weekend and there was no one to speak with to get an
    alert broadcast. Luckily there were no serious injuries as a result
    of the failure to get an alert out.

    Chris

    Chris Dubea, Nov 2, 2007
  18. Juan Moore Beer

    Pat Guest

    My view of living in a rural area is that people can get whatever they
    want, living here. It's just that the people want very different
    things. Most of us aren't obsessed about the latest flash-in-the-pan
    band or even "Top 40". Too many other, more important, things going
    on.

    Pat, Nov 2, 2007
  19. Juan Moore Beer

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rural life is certainly different. Having experienced both rural, and
    suburban living, I don't think I could ever go back to the rural life
    and be happy, but many others yearn for that life. It does have its
    compensations, but it isn't for me.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 3, 2007
  20. Juan Moore Beer

    Paul Bartram Guest

    I don't need to be 'cutting edge' (except in the lawn-mower stakes) either,
    but the one thing I do miss is broadband Internet - I'm stuck in
    two-jam-tins-and-string mode, unless I blow my pension on satellite.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Nov 3, 2007