The D70 looks mighty fine, but

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Unclaimed Mysteries, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. I hate noise. HAYTE IT. Hate dealing with it. Hate trying to compensate
    for it. Hate these silly noise reduction programs that claim to fight
    it, only to introduce their own kind of distortion. I'd rather keep it
    to a minimum to begin with. The sample images from the Canon 10D and
    300D are impressive for their relative lack of noise, which I hate, in
    case I haven't mentioned that yet.

    What a dilemma for an Canon/Nikon agnostic. Both the D70 and Digital
    Rebel are wonderful compared to what was available last year. I like the
    speed of the D70. Like the lens in the D70 kit. I like the images I see
    from both. Did I mention that I hate noise?

    After being dead set on the D70, I'm hesitating. Should a rabid
    noise-hater like me be favoring the Canon CMOS sensor?

    I shoot a lot outdoors, with water and sky often showing up in my
    images. Also plan to do some astrophotography.

    I throw myself upon the mercy of rpd. Which is a lot like jumping into a
    woodchippah ($1 to Marge Gunderson).

    Corry
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    T. Boozer wrote in rolltidefan.net: "That dude that took the picture,
    Corry Smith, is a bigtime aubie. Notice he named the pic
    'BRIANDENNEHYstadium' Screw him!"

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jun 18, 2004

  2. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Fil Ament Guest

    Unclaimed Mysteries
    Rent both cameras and compare them.
    --
    The joy of a forever Unknown Artist is the mystery and potential
    of a Blank canvas.

    This is a provision for the mind's eye.
    I see the lights go on, but realize of course no one's home.

    Fil Ament, Jun 18, 2004

  3. Unclaimed Mysteries

    DR Guest

    How / where do you do that?

    DR, Jun 18, 2004
  4. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Fil Ament Guest

    I have a local camera store that does rent DSLR equipment
    whether there is one local to you I don't know.

    There is a place in Alexandra called Protech rentals that might
    just do it.

    Fil Ament, Jun 18, 2004
  5. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Jun 18, 2004
  6. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that Unclaimed Mysteries
    Hm, reading between the lines of your post, I /think/ I can detect a
    subtle preference for low-noise cameras. ;)
    Yes, if you need to buy a camera now. For the minimum of noise in a D70
    price range, your options pretty much consist of the 300D & the 10D.
    If you're not in a hurry, you might consider waiting to see what Nikon
    does about noise levels in future models.
    Be warned: Canon glass is addictive. ;)
    Yep. 300D/10D in RAW mode.
    Bwahahahahahaha!

    Lionel, Jun 18, 2004
  7. Unclaimed Mysteries

    leo Guest

    I wish I didn't buy the 300D. I am pouring tons of money to Canon. I love my
    new 300mm f/4 IS lens. I can't wait to get the 1.4x teleconverter to make it
    a 420mm lens which I heard it doesn't deminish the quialty of 300/4 much.
    Next, I'll be craving the 17-40 lens to replace the kit lens and then
    upgrade to a new camera with cutting edge sensor. I am going to be broke.

    leo, Jun 18, 2004
  8. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Lionel Guest

    I hear you, brother. I became a lost cause after buying my first 'L'
    lens for my 10D. Now I'm planning on selling all my non-prime consumer
    glass.

    Lionel, Jun 18, 2004
  9. It was the noise issue that drove me to choose the Fuji S2. That
    outperformed everything in the 6megapixel class on that issue in the
    dpreview.com tests at the time, including the 10D.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 18, 2004
  10. Ah, yes, but think of it this way: Those lenses may well become usable
    heirlooms and some bug in 2040 will be saying, Yeah, me grandad spent
    all 'is cash on these, an' lookit I got. Fab!

    YMMV

    John McWilliams, Jun 18, 2004
  11. Er, they weren't tested via the same method. At most the 10D and S2
    have very similar noise levels.

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 18, 2004
  12. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Jimmy Smith Guest

    Depending on your age, the 17-40 is better than sex.

    Jimmy Smith, Jun 18, 2004
  13. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Lionel Guest

    <smug>
    I not only have two good 'L' zooms, but have sex as well. ;)
    </smug>

    Lionel, Jun 18, 2004
  14. At ISO 200 and RAW settings I don't see any noise in the D70 at all
    unless it's in a blocked shadow area.

    If your scanning slide or 35 Neg you'll get tons of more noise than if
    you shoot @200 in the d70.

    "I'm the luckiest man in the world. I have a cigarette
    lighter and a wife...and they both work!"

    Cadillac_Jones, Jun 18, 2004
  15. Unclaimed Mysteries

    SteveFrank Guest

    I wish there was a comparison on this issue , I had the same hold back on
    buying the D70, from one person saying it was noisy but I then found some
    pictures taken at 1600 even, a night seen, and there was only a little bit
    of noise, damn good. Now Still confused, as I hate noise also. Besides I am
    reading that there is more issue problems with second hand lenses for Canon
    than Nikon, another thing to take in consecration.
    I have used DCpreview iI think it was, and on some reports it might show
    the noise level at 400 iso as a 2, then in another report it might show it
    as a 1.5, or 3.5.
    Cant use this as test are really hard to do .
    I like to see pictures.

    SteveFrank, Jun 18, 2004
  16. Unclaimed Mysteries

    leo Guest

    There's very little difference in noise for normal photography. Canon does
    excel in long (several minutes) exposure, maybe CMOS doesn't get hot as easy
    as CCD.

    leo, Jun 18, 2004
  17. Calumet photo for instance rents DSLRs. In Cambridge, MA the prices are maybe
    $150 a day for the consumer DSLRs (lens is extra, ~ $50 per lens), higher for
    the professional models, and if you buy the same model from them within a
    month, they will refund part of the rental price (~ 50% if memory serves).

    Michael Meissner, Jun 19, 2004
  18. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Wayne Moses Guest

    I too hate noise and love my D70.

    There are ways to shoot *and* minimize / eliminate noise. One just has to
    understand light and how the lack thereof is critical to the noise issue.

    Get the D70 and some fast lenses and shoot in good light. You won't have any
    reasonable noise.

    If you still want less noise, then you are probably in the wrong camera
    field, and should consider not only film but large-format cameras.
    --

    Regards,
    Wayne

    Wayne Moses, Jun 20, 2004
  19. Good points Wayne; I have all of the above. I like the D70 for the photograghy
    I have been using it for.

    Any Moose Poster, Jun 20, 2004