The continuing mystery of my shakey connection...

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by JakeD, Sep 14, 2007.

  1. JakeD

    JakeD Guest

    I posted here recently, hoping to solve my awful broadband continuity
    problems. I typically find I can't connect to anything on the internet
    via broadband dsl after around 8.30pm.

    I called my ISP today and finally got somewhere, but not all the
    way... The tekkie on the phone tested my line and came back saying
    that the test results suggested a wiring fault within my house. He
    asked me to unscrew the cover on the primary BT socket and plug my
    microfilter into the hidden socket inside. I did that. He phone me
    back and reported that he had tested the line again and now the
    problems were gone. He concluded that the fault is in the wiring in
    the BT socket's cover, and that the solution is to get the cover
    changed.

    However.... all is not solved! I left my microfilter plugged into the
    hidden socket, but his evening, at the usual time (around 20:00 hrs, I
    find I cannot connect to anything on the internet as usual! The only
    difference is that now, my voip service remains fuctional, whereas
    before, it used to be unable to connect whenever my PC was also unable
    to connect to the net.

    Does this shine any light on what teh problem may be?

    Also, I should mention, even during the day when my broadband
    connection is fine, I sometimes find the line goes silent, in the
    middle of a voip conversation. Is that a common phenomenon with voip?

    Many thanks,

    Jake D

    There is one difference, however... Now

    JakeD, Sep 14, 2007

  2. JakeD

    JakeD Guest

    PS... Later the same night, (at 5.30am) I tried again to access the
    net via braodband. This time, neither my PC nor my Vonage device can
    connect. And when I tried to get access via dialup, I find that access
    to web sites is extremely slow and I keep losing the connection.

    (This is all with my adsl filter still plugged into the hidden socket
    inside the cover of the BT master socket.)

    Looks like the 'faulty master socket cover' diagnosis was not the
    solution....

    Cheers,

    Jake D

    JakeD, Sep 15, 2007

  3. JakeD

    Graham. Guest

    It's not so much to eliminate the faceplate itself,

    it's more to do with eliminating any extension wiring connected

    to it.

    If you remember I started to take you down that route,

    but there was no point in pursuing it once you had confirmed

    there was no other wiring.

    The trouble is that the helpdesk are ticking boxes on their script

    rather than analyzing your individual situation.

    You plugged the microfilter into the hidden socket,

    but did you plug the router directly into the filter

    eliminating the 20m extension lead?

    Here is something to think about. The fact that the

    problems are mainly in the evenings an at night may well

    point to an increase in line noise during these times.

    I might be worth thinking if the problem coincides with

    anything electrical being switched on in the house,

    eg. TV, fluorescent or CFL lighting etc.

    Graham., Sep 15, 2007
  4. JakeD

    News Reader Guest

    ..... Equally, if it is not of the aforementioned nature, then it could be
    due to timing, potentially an issue of congestion on your ISPs side.

    Anyhow, what I really want to say is modular swap out fault testing.

    I think you are getting to many things confused here. The previous poster
    Graham appears to be clearly on the right track.

    Still, it is a case of either learn the tech and modular swap out fault
    testing yourself; get someone in; have someone (e.g. on here or a
    knowledgeable tech friend by phone, etc.) hold you hand the whole way
    through to thoroughly / completely test and evaluate everything and isolate
    and determine the origin of the fault; or go the service provider routes
    (your ISP and / or line provider, etc.) - which can be very tough, slow and
    not necessarily get anyone (almost ever - although ultimately it should end
    up fixed one day - with no guarantee of cost, etc.).

    The preferred options would be one of either the first or third option
    (unless the second is equally easy and free for you).

    Anyhow, I am sure someone here will be able to help you work through it all.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    P.s. It is just a bit of a shame that those who are supposed to be
    knowledgeable so often aren't - i.e. service providers and tech support
    people, etc. leading you and others up garden paths.

    P.p.s. In short, you want to eliminate your equipment (ADSL equipment); your
    PC; your internal phone wiring; your phone line; your ISP. Evidently, you
    will not be able to eliminate all of them, the one you are left having
    proven as the culprit is the problem! Hence you would for example, try your
    equipment at a friends house with their ADSL connection; try your equipment
    at your house as is, with a different PC; try with / without extension
    cables; try different ADSL equipment (borrow a friends) at your house on
    your line, etc., etc. Hope some of that helps at least vaguely. Sorry, I
    deal quite often with this (as we all probably have to with quite a lot of
    things), and sadly providers, etc. provide woefully to little education or
    information about their products and services and how they work, etc. and
    also often fail quite dismally to provide practical, useful, efficient or
    effective support or assistance in the event of difficulties.

    News Reader, Sep 15, 2007
  5. JakeD

    News Reader Guest

    P.s. By the way, it is pretty very unlikely that the ATA vs. usual internet
    access use will be different in any way. I.e. if you are experiencing
    connection problems with the ATA and with your PC (even if at different
    times, etc.) then the problem is likely to be further up the chain and be
    something universal to both - i.e. either your ADSL equipment or the line /
    ISP, etc. In short, as it is unlikely to be something specific and different
    in relation to your ATA vs. your usual PC internet browsing, don't let the
    two separate uses of the same one internet connection confuse or distract
    you.

    P.p.s. Specifically, in your post above, you talk about the dial-up
    connection failing. If you plug a phone into the filter (itself plugged into
    the test socket of the master socket), is the line nice and clear, or can
    you hear all manner of crackling, etc. (note, this may be worth checking
    several times at different times of the day, etc.). Have you tried using a
    different ADSL filter?

    News Reader, Sep 15, 2007
  6. JakeD

    News Reader Guest

    Hi,

    Some further bits for you.

    Focusing on your original post:

    - your VOIP continuing to work when the PC does not is pretty unusual, and
    basically cannot be very obviously explained. It is probably just anomalous.
    I.e. from what I can tell you have a line fault. If your VOIP happens to
    work or keep working when the PC does not it is probably just pure chance or
    luck. I expect if you properly tested the VOIP when the PC is not working
    you would find it in fact is not working. I.e. a "connected light" on the
    VOIP ATA does not necessarily mean it is working. It may only check its
    connection every 10 minutes or so; so it may hit a lucky or fluky connection
    and not realised that almost immediately after that it was in fact
    disconnected and would not reveal this for the next ten minutes; equally it
    may be that it is just managing to register "connection" status but could
    not actually support voice traffic over the connection; equally if you kept
    trying with the PC when the ATA "appears" to be working, you will probably
    find that you will just about mange to get half a page to load. I don't know
    how you are evaluating that the VOIP is continuing to work. If you test it
    by actually placing a reasonable length test call and evaluating the audio
    in both directions, then you would most probably find that it is either
    essentially not working at all or barely working (if the PC is not working
    at the same time). Or equally, if the VOIP is just about holding together
    (some audio cutting out, etc.), then you should find perseverance with the
    PC will yield that just about working (i.e. pages timing out, nearly half
    same fate suffered by the PC - it is probably just sending you red herrings!

    - VOIP should not cut out at all - full stop. VOIP should support perfect
    continuous audio and service the same as the best landline you have ever
    used. Their are some caveats, but all other things being equal the
    aforementioned holds true. (If for example you are downloading a lot of
    large files at the same time as trying to use your VOIP connection the audio
    may suffer as it is having to fight to fit down the connection along with
    the download and their is not enough room for both). Equally, if you have a
    bad connection that will cause VOIP to drop out the same as it causes file
    transfers on your / a PC to slow down or drop out.

    - your dial-up experience - if your dial-up is very slow, that is probably
    to be expected - dial-up is very slow (lol - sorry!). If you are comparing
    it accurately to normal dial-up performance experienced in similar
    conditions and it is a lot slower then I would suggest the line may be bad
    (again try the listening test - previous post). It would be useful it you
    could give us some figures or statistics - e.g. connection speed. However,
    if your dial-up connection is dropping out this again suggests a line
    problem. It is worth making sure by double checking any wiring and filters
    again.

    - REAL DEAL - getting to the meat of the subject - if your ISP has performed
    a line test, and has found a wiring fault - this really should be like a red
    rag hanging in front of the face of a bull - i.e. SOMETHING IS CLEARLY
    WRONG! ... lol...in your case, the fact that what you usually get is
    intermittent problems, it is not really any surprise that the fault suddenly
    "appeared" to clear up and then actually return a few hours later. Equally,
    intermittent faults will generously spew red herrings, etc. all over the
    place and cause odd phenomenon's such as ATA working for a minute whilst the
    PC appears not to and vice versa. The reality is, ISP performed test and got
    wiring fault reported; if you have changed nothing and are still directly
    connected to the master socket test socket (without using any extension
    cables and you have tested using either different ADSL equipment and tested
    using a different ADSL cable from your existing ADSL modem / router to said
    master socket); then their is a wiring fault - but not in your house or
    anything on your side - it is anywhere from where BT take responsibility for
    the line (back of the master socket) to the exchange. But in short, it
    sounds like it is unequivocally a line fault!

    Examples could be a road work crew have half severed a cable so it is
    intermittently connecting; water is getting into a cable and making it
    intermittently misbehave, etc.

    Hope some of that helps.

    Feel free to feed back further information.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Sep 15, 2007
  7. JakeD

    JakeD Guest

    Thank you so much for your generous effort in helping me out. (Thanks,
    likewise to Graham.) Firstly, I have to make a couple of embarrassing
    confessions. (1) Contrary to what I said in my last post,it turns out
    that when the fault returned last night, it was with the cover screwed
    back in place on the BT master socket. (I had screwed teh cover back
    on, unconsciously,apparently! These things happen when you get past 50
    and are very tired, late at night... The fact is, I have never
    experienced a problem when the microfilter is plugged into the hidden
    socket beneath the cover, although I haven't tried it for long
    periods. .Perhaps the ISP's tekkie tester was right in his diagnosis:
    that the face plate is theh cause of the problem. I noticed that there
    is a blue wire inside the face plate that goes nowhee, as if it has
    been cut. I was wondering of it was supposed to be one of the wires
    connecting the face plate to the main body of the socket.

    My second confession is that I have now discovered that ther *IS* an
    extension cable hard-wired into the BT master socket... It goes to a
    loud, mains-powered (?) telephone bell only.

    I have ordered a brand new BT master socket on eBay, which I will use
    to replace the old one, and hope that this cures the problem. With a
    bit of luck the face plate will fit the old socket. If so, I will
    simply change the face plate.

    Should I disconnect the hard-wired extension cable going to the loud
    bell? Someone (Graham, perhaps) seemed to imply that having anything
    hard-wired into the socket might be a cause of problems...

    Many thanks (again),

    Jake D

    JakeD, Sep 15, 2007
  8. JakeD

    Jono Guest

    After serious thinking JakeD wrote :
    Without a shadow of a doubt.
    Hmm. One like this <http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm>
    would allow you to keep your bell.

    I believe that once you disconnect the bell, you won't need a new "BT
    Master"

    Jono, Sep 15, 2007
  10. JakeD

    JakeD Guest

    Really? Well that sounds attractive, then. Thanks for the lead. Kind
    of pricey, but if it's gonna work, it'll be worth it. Would the eay to
    wire it in be self-evident? I.e., would the coloured wired go to
    exacly the same places as per teh old face-plate?
    So, if I use on of these filtered faceplates, should I still
    disconnect thehard-wired bell or not?

    Thanks for clarifying, and thanks for the input....

    Jake D

    JakeD, Sep 15, 2007
  11. JakeD

    Jono Guest

    JakeD submitted this idea :
    Very straight forward.
    If you use a filtered faceplate, your hardwired extensions/bells can
    stay in place as they would be hardwired to the filtered side of the
    faceplate - your adsl modem/router would then plug in to the unfiltered
    rj11 socket

    Jono, Sep 15, 2007
  12. JakeD

    JakeD Guest

    PS.. It's a bit strange that the bad connection always seems to start
    around 7.00pm or 8.00pm though.... From 7.00am to 7.00pm, it has
    generally been mostly OK.

    BTW, I'm hoping I can keep the loud mains (?) powered bell, because my
    elderly landlady really needs it to hear when the phone is ringing...

    Jake D

    JakeD, Sep 15, 2007
  13. JakeD

    Jono Guest

    JakeD expressed precisely :
    Not really. Line "noise" generally increases in the evening

    You must filter it. So, unless you can plug it into the "phone" side of
    a filter, in order to keep it, you will need to either cobble together
    a lead that allows you to plug it in to the filter or put a filtered
    faceplate in.

    Jono, Sep 15, 2007
  14. JakeD

    News Reader Guest

    Hi,

    I would just sound a little note or two of caution.

    Whilst by and large this should all be fine, present and correct, etc. -
    their is a possibility that if your extension bell is particularly odd, old,
    curious, inept, ill, etc. it could still cause a problem or problems with
    your ADSL, etc. even if you use a fancy filtered face plate.

    I don't think you need a filtered face plate, it may help but may make no
    difference.

    In short, my thinking goes:

    - if it is something to do with your master socket, it is most probably
    that it has dodgy extension wiring (includes additional device connections
    such as, in your case, the extension bells wiring) or a dodgy connected
    extension device (your bell itself). The master socket itself is probably
    fine.
    - if it is not your bell, it's extension wiring or the wiring of the
    extension within the master socket - then it may well indeed be the line
    itself (back from the back of the master socket off to the exchange). This
    sounds increasingly likely or possible because as you point out, you have a
    time related symptom - particularly one which is evening and night time
    related (which, if I recall correctly, is when noise on lines increases).
    This is unlikely to be related to your bell, et. al. or not so obviously.

    Hence, I would do some of the hallowed modular swap out testing.

    1) - Eliminate all internal issues. Remove the user removable front plate of
    the current master socket. (Assuming no-one has done any super creative
    bodgery and their is nothing else wired in to the master socket / the back
    of the master socket; the wiring into the master socket is good; and that
    the master socket itself is good)... plug your [ known good ;) ] ADSL filter
    into the test socket of the master socket. Conduct extensive testing - good
    hours and bad hours (i.e. night and day) and for extended periods. (Again
    make sure you are testing with known good equipment - i.e. that your ADSL
    kit AND its cables [the cable from the ADSL modem to the ADSL filter] are
    known good - i.e. tested and proven fine at a similar installation somewhere
    else). If everything works fine, your problem is with the bell or its wiring
    into the master socket extension connector. If you still have problems, the
    line is almost definitely dodgy (vis-a-vis my previous remarks concerning
    intermittent line faults - workmen in road, water ingress, etc., etc.) - and
    it is BT's side of the line and their responsibility. Sadly, that doesn't
    necessarily mean it is easy thence to get corrected - but you would at least
    hopefully be starting down the right road. And you can be sure where the
    fault is, and assuming someone knowledgeable on the phone, explain how you
    know and what modular swap out fault testing you have done to confirm and
    isolate the fault origin ;) , etc.

    If we have now identified that everything is fine here (upto step 1 thus
    far - i.e. not a "line" fault) then --->

    2) - Eliminate bell and its wiring. What we are doing now is having
    concluded that the line is ok; we proceed to isolate the bell and its wiring
    to determine if that or potentially the master socket itself are faulty. So
    now we are going to evaluate and attempt to exclude the bell as the cause of
    the fault. (These bells as I say can be mighty odd - especially if old,
    mains powered, etc. - it could introduce all sorts of stray or odd signals -
    and it may be that this is more pivotal at the higher noise night time -
    although the likelihood of that is probably somewhat marginal). I.e. unplug
    it at the master socket (i.e. disconnect any and every extension connection
    from behind the user removable part of the master socket front). Plug the
    (now extensions stripped off / out) master socket front panel back in the
    master socket. Perform the same testing as in stage 1 above by plugging
    ONLY, your ADSL filter into the front of the master socket and then into the
    ADSL filter ONLY your ADSL modem (again... and then perform the above
    extensive testing). If everything broadband side works, the fault is the
    bell, the bells wiring or the way the bells wiring was connected to the
    master socket. If still not working, the master socket front panel is
    buggered (in which case - your new ebay one should fix everything! - unless
    you are very unlucky and happen to get a bad one! - lol - only joking).

    If everything identified fine here --->

    3) - As by reaching step 3 here, we would have identified the bell, its
    wiring or how it was connected to the master socket as the problem - we can
    now isolate which of these last three component parameters could be the
    problem. First exclude "how the bell is wired into the master socket"...
    wire it back in VERY WELL and 100% correctly (lol - read the user manual for
    the bell - more lol's! - or check some online wiring sockets type guides or
    websites / pages, etc.). Fixed problem? It was badly wired in in the first
    place. All solved. Still not working? Your choice - depending on how the
    bell is wired and made (at the bell's end of its phone extension cable!)..
    either unplug the bell from the bell end of its extension cable... problem
    solved? = Bell is bad. Problem not solved = bell's wiring is bad (replace
    bells extension wiring with a new bit of extension wiring). You may find if
    the bells extension wiring is bad, that the problem replicates even with new
    bell extension wiring - as the bell may also be incompatible / introducing
    to much noise anyhow (i.e. is additionally faulty to the bells extension
    cable). If you cannot remove the phone extension wiring from the bell end,
    you may try a few other things; try unplugging the power supply for the bell
    (you say it is mains powered). If that fixes it = bell is the problem; not
    fixed = may be the bells phone extension wiring or may still be the bell.
    Gets a bit harder to produce certainty for you here without a soldering
    iron, etc. But I would at this stage, if you still have the problem and
    haven't been able to further isolate the problem, suggest that buying a more
    modern / new replacement bell WITH wiring should sort it out.

    Hope some of this helps.

    As the other poster suggests, you may find that a special filtered ADSL
    master socket will work with your bell, but it sounds a little like
    clutching at straws, and I would want to know what was the problem cause
    before going down that road - especially as it doesn't appear to guarantee
    to fix it. Further, as you say, it is not cheap, and I would not like for
    you to have forked out for it and fitted it to find your problem persists
    (e.g. if the bell is really "dirty" it may pump untold crap down its
    extension wiring sufficient to overpower any adsl master socket). Equally,
    the above evaluations may help you better identify the culprit with
    certainty which may save you needing to address this side of things anyhow.

    Finally, it is pretty unusual by my understanding, for a master socket to
    "go bad". They are usually pretty dependable, reliable and don't have a lot
    to go wrong in / with them - and even if something has gone wrong it would
    seem unusual or unlikely for it to exhibit by causing this kind of problem
    (instead you might get loss of ring tone, etc.). Generally the master socket
    is BT's responsibility. In short, if the fault is from the test socket back,
    it is BT's problem (essentially no matter what - but in reality so long as
    it is not caused by something "you" have done; a common example of a normal
    fault cause not due to the customer would be damage due to lightning). If
    the fault is with the front part of the master socket; it is probably really
    BT's issue, but they may or probably will claim it is your fault and
    something you have done to it and so want to charge you for its replacement
    or repair. To be fair, unless you have obviously staved it in or plugged
    something really weird into it or the extension socket and melted it, I
    expect BT would replace it as faulty due to no fault of your own, etc. I
    think it is most likely an intermittent line fault; followed by something to
    do with the bell being bad or dodgy.

    Hope that helps.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    P.s. Let us know how you get on :) .

    News Reader, Sep 15, 2007
  15. JakeD

    News Reader Guest

    Hi,

    Good point ;) - lol... Sounds like that is almost definitely the short
    version answer of my reply post ;) .

    Belt and braces in my version if you want to be / make sure, etc.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    ;)

    News Reader, Sep 15, 2007
  16. JakeD

    JakeD Guest

    Yes, I certainly think so. I will print out your comments and use them
    to systematically find the problem by process of elimination. Thanks
    also to Jono for his help. You both have been more helpful than I
    could ever have hoped for. I mean, I have posted awkward problems on
    the usenet before but have never had such a concerted effort at
    helpfulness before, so I'm truely grateful.
    That's what I thought (that the master socket and everything else
    going back to the exchange was BT's responsibility. Unfortunately,
    this supposition was blown out of the water when I called BT a couple
    of days ago. They said that any faults must be taken up with TalkTalk,
    as they are the company now supplying the service via theBT line. I
    phoned TalkTalk to report the "faulty face plate" and they informed me
    that the master socket was my responsibility since it was inside my
    house! They said that they only accept responsibility for the wiring
    *outside* the house. I did try to take issue of the fairness of this,
    but the gal was adamant. She advised me to pay a local independent
    telephone engineer to come and change the master socket. I respended
    with: "well, I can wire in a new master socket myself. I've done that
    kind of thing before." Her response: "I wouldn't advise that; it's
    dangerous. I recommend you get a bloke out of the yellow pages." My
    contemplated response: "Dangerous? Yeah, I suppose I could, in theory,
    trip over a discraded banana skin and kill myself by knocking my head
    on the corner of the master socket...." My actual response: Should the
    bloke out of the yellow pages have any particular qualifications or
    certification?" Her response: "No". My response: "Well, I may as well
    do the job myself then. I don't have any qualification or
    certification either, and I have done it before, successfully." Her
    response: "Well, if you're confident, then go ahead..." My
    contemplated response: "Well I might be confident I could live if I
    jumped off the Empire State Building... It doen't mean I will..." (-;

    Anyway, after reading your comments, it seems like the master socket
    *may* not be the problem and the mains-powered bell *might* be the
    problem. I will probably wire in the new faceplate acquired from ebay
    and see if that cures the problem. If not, I will disconnect the
    mains-powered bell and see if that cures the problem - and take it
    from there.

    Thanks a million for the substantial help. It's not every day one
    receives focused help like that when in trouble. I will post a
    progress report...

    Jake D

    JakeD, Sep 16, 2007
  17. JakeD

    JakeD Guest

    I see... Thank you for explaining that.

    Jake D

    JakeD, Sep 16, 2007
  18. JakeD

    News Reader Guest

    Hi Jake,

    Thanks - and you are most welcome.

    As for BT and Talk Talk... they are just not really teaching their people
    what to say and failing to teach them to say things that are actually
    particularly or very useful or helpful! lol...

    BT could do with kindly explaining the reality... e.g. (an example of what
    their kind of script could / perhaps should be) "your supplier is Talk Talk"
    (then... assuming you are LLU or wholesale line rental with Talk Talk...)",
    that means when you have a problem you have to tell them about it and then
    they will get our division called Open Reach to check and repair any fault".

    Talk Talk could similarly do with some improvement - evidently actually the
    boundary is drawn at the master socket and I am pretty certain Open Reach
    would do a fair bit of screaming and shouting if they knew or suspected some
    service providers were telling customers otherwise - and encouraging anyone
    but them (Open Reach) to fiddle with, adjust or repair, etc. master socket
    side and beyond (off to the exchange), equipment / line, etc. Sadly, as with
    many of these organisations, and as above, often the front line staff are
    not very well trained, etc. and often worse, are left to or encouraged to,
    come up with their own idea, thought or suggestion of a best answer!

    In the latter sort of situations, one often has to do a certain amount of
    compensatory or corrective creative jiggery pokery (in one's presentation of
    a situation or problem) - e.g. in your case for example, saying "the 'line'
    just as it goes into the house looks knackered / damaged", to overcome the
    nonesense BS about the master socket being your (the customers)
    responsibility! Then when the Open Reach guy comes round, you just explain
    that Talk Talk told you the master socket was the customers responsibility,
    etc. and they will probably sigh and go oh well, thank god you managed to
    get us (Open Reach) out as that is the right thing to do and we are the
    people that are supposed to deal with the master socket and line side of
    things! lol. But... this is only sound reasoning or a sound approach to take
    if you are sure (or VERY sure / sure enough [again read certain or VERY
    sure]) that the master socket is actually bad or you can end up with a big
    unnecessary call out bill from your provider Talk Talk / and / or Open Reach
    (i.e. that one is sure any fault is definitely on the Open Reach side not
    the consumer premises / consumer premises equipment side of things), etc.

    In any event, all good, etc. :)

    Keep us posted. Thanks for your kind words and I hope some of the
    suggestions are helpful, etc.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Sep 16, 2007
  19. JakeD

    JakeD Guest

    Thanks very much for putting me in the picture about Open Reach etc.
    After reading your comments, I think I had better not involve Open
    Reach at this stage, because of the loud bell that has been hard-wired
    into the main body of the master socket. I have no idea who did that
    job; it may well not have been done by a previous resident, and if so,
    I could be accused of buggering up their socket and receive a huge
    bill for call-out +repairs. I would think it makes sense for me to
    just quietly change the cover plate and then, if necessary, quietly
    remove the loud bell, (leaving no trace, where it was wired into the
    socket) and take it from there. Does that make sense?

    Jake D

    JakeD, Sep 16, 2007
  20. JakeD

    JakeD Guest

    PS. Today, during one of the breaks in my bradband connection, I
    disconnected the loud bell from the BT master socket. This made no
    difference; I still could not conect to the net.

    When the new master socket arrives, I'll try replacing the face plate.

    Jake D

    JakeD, Sep 16, 2007