    then upsizing it to 200%, which by the same standard means that the SD9
    outputs 13.7MP files?
    --

    JPS, Feb 14, 2004

  2. George Preddy

    John Navas Guest

    In <c0drgt$2kq$> on Thu, 12 Feb 2004 04:02:09 +0900, "George
    True, but lacking expertise in digital cameras.
    That actually ranks Canon and Sigma as equal on image quality. (Sigma wins
    only on "ease of use.") As for value, CU said:

    If you're after the best value, look to the Canon EOS Digital Rebel...
    False. What CU actually said:

    If we has used the Sigma's image-editing software to adjust exposure,
    contrast, shadows, highlights, and the like, images would doubtless have
    looked better. ...

    The same would of course be true for *any* digital camera.

    CU also said:

    All produced sharp, high-quality images.

    and:

    All seven SLRs are fine performers...

    and:

    If you're after the best image quality, look to the $2,000 Fujifilm FinePix
    S2 Pro [Bayer].

    So do you agree with CU (which you cited) or not? ;-)

    BTW, George, I see you have no respect for copyright -- CU specifically
    prohibits that kind of copying.

    John Navas, Feb 14, 2004

  3. George Preddy

    John Navas Guest

    In <c0e7n8$cqf$> on Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:30:22 +0900, "George
    It ranked them as equal on image quality. Sigma was ranked higher only on

    John Navas, Feb 14, 2004
  4. George Preddy

    John Navas Guest

    In <c0drgt$2kq$> on Thu, 12 Feb 2004 04:02:09 +0900, "George
    p.s. CU also said:

    In our tests, we shot photos using the camera’s default settings and
    printed them without alteration. (The camera uses its own photo-file
    format, but images can be converted to standard JPEG files later.) Under
    those conditions, the 3.4-megapixel Sigma yielded images that were like
    those from a 5-megapixel camera.

    "5-megapixel" is of course less than current 6-8 megapixel Bayer cameras, not
    to mention your (silly) claims of 10.3 or even 14 megapixel resolution.
    <
    So I ask again, do you agree with CU (which you cited) or not? ;-)

    John Navas, Feb 14, 2004
  5. There have been reviews of the SD9, including Phil's on DPReview, that
    indicate the SD9 outputs images on a par with 6 MP Bayer cameras. I
    could care less how many MPs the Sigma is I care about it's output and
    it certainly is on a par with any 6MP Bayer. The Foveon is a
    different type of sensor than the Bayer as we all know and comparing
    it's MP count to a different type of sensor like the Bayer is not
    exactly comparing apples to apples. The image quality and value of
    the camera is what counts to me and both, IMO are fine in the SD9.

    Furthermore, there are times when I value Consumer Report's ratings
    and times when I don't. I believe that they tend to look at any
    product as if it is an appliance. Some things are not viewed that way
    by me - and I'm sure a lot of others in this group. My camera,
    computer, and cars are more than just appliances to me. There are
    intangibles that I take into account that Consumer's Reports could
    never measure in their testing.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 14, 2004
  6. ....

    Sigh.... I suppose I do, Mark. Still I'm an eternal optimist, so I keep expecting
    George to wake up one day, notice what he's been doing, slap himself on the
    forehead, and shout, "Doh!".

    Of course, the other possibility is that he truly is irrational. I think George
    actually
    started out fairly soundly, but as the hyperbole grew and the pride got involved,
    he passed the point of ever admitting that he was wrong.

    Still, if I ever did teach a pig to sing, just imagine...

    (Wiping off the mud)

    --
    Dan (Woj...) dmaster (at) lucent (dot) com

    "Darkness, darkness, be my pillow / Take my hand and let me sleep
    In the coolness of your shadow / In the silence of your deep
    Darkness, darkness, long and lonesome / Is the day that brings me here
    I have felt the edge of silence / I have known the depths of fear"

    Dan Wojciechowski, Feb 17, 2004
  7. George Preddy

    JPS Guest

    In message <c0tdu2$>,
    That will never happen. He trolled comp.sys.amiga.advocacy for six
    *years*, repeating the same nonsense over and over, and when he lost
    interest, he just stopped posting there completely.

    JPS, Feb 18, 2004