The chances Bayer gets 1 pixel color right

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Preddy, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Unfortunately, Sigma doesn't run a review site. They have gotten smarter
    about paying sites like dpreview their due protection money. But
    unfortunately they are wasting their time and cash, there is no way any of
    these "pro" review sites is going to publish an accurate full color
    resolution test like this one...

    http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_05/essay.html

    ....since all of their sponsors (except Sigma) would instantly go packing.
    Unfortunately, these review sites are about selling and pushing merchandise,
    not reviewing, as they are funded by the very same products they "review."

    Consumer Reports is non-profit, and interestingly they rate Canon DSLRs very
    poor relative values. The 300D being the worst Canon value,
    interestingly...

    http://www.pbase.com/image/25842929/original

    Consumer Reports also says if their preset testing rules would've allowed
    RAW adjustments, the SD9 would've won overall...

    http://www.pbase.com/image/25967061/original

    George Preddy, Feb 11, 2004

  2. What mathematical ability.

    George Preddy, Feb 11, 2004

  3. George Preddy

    Tim Brown Guest

    Wrong!

    1. Color negative film displays the complement of the color it senses.

    2. B&W film displays shades of grey (but that's not what I originally
    referred to.)

    3. An individual dye cloud can only display cyan, magenta or yellow.
    SO it has the same 3 color limitation as the Bayer system

    4. No film is completely accurate at even recording color over a large
    area. It's a matter of preference. Just compare Velvia to Astia.

    I'm responding to you from Google because you're in the killfile of my
    regular newsreader.

    Tim

    Tim Brown, Feb 11, 2004
  4. George Preddy

    Guy Scharf Guest

    By combining quotes from two different articles and different reviews,
    you're creating a lie. CU doesn't say anything of the sort.

    The quote you imaged is from the November 2003 issue and is a
    technology comment. That issue did not review the Sigma SD9. None of
    the 34 cameras reviewed in that issue was a DSLR.

    In the technology preview, CU says the pictures would have looked
    better if they had made adjustments to the raw files. But the same
    statement can be made about any camera capable of recording raw data.

    The Ratings you imaged are from the March 2004 issue. That issue
    reviews seven DSLRs in an extremely short half-page review, something
    CU calls a "Quick Rating." There is no discussion in that article
    about Foveon technology. In fact, the article says "[all DSLRs
    reviewed] have 5- or 6-megabpixel resolution or the equivalent...."

    Foveon technology is interesting. Deliberate falsehoods just turn
    people against it.

    Guy

    Guy Scharf, Feb 11, 2004
  5. Clearly CU rated the SD9 higher than the Canon DSLRs, and as you said, that
    scan proves it won overall if RAW mode is allowed to be adjusted and not
    left on Auto.

    George Preddy, Feb 11, 2004
  6. Wrong.

    George Preddy, Feb 11, 2004
  7. George Preddy

    OLM Guest

    They rate the Sigma SD9 as a 3.43 Megapixel camera, and the two Canons as
    6.3 Megapixel cameras.

    OLM, Feb 11, 2004
  8. George Preddy

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 12, 2004
  9. Consumer Reports is non-profit, and interestingly they rate Canon DSLRs very
    Consumer Reports is and has always been a farce. They review
    out-of-date stuff using bizarre criteria.

    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 12, 2004
  10. George Preddy

    Guy Scharf Guest

    That scan proves *nothing* about what would have happened if *all*
    DSLRs had been reviewed as using RAW mode and optimized later. And
    that is the comparison that could have been valid.

    As others have noted, CU reviews of technical subjects (cameras, cars,
    stereos, ...) are rarely held in high regard by people experienced with
    those subjects.

    Guy

    Guy Scharf, Feb 12, 2004
  11. George Preddy

    Tim Brown Guest

    And while the chance of that is close to zero it is not as close to
    zero as the chance of our plumbing the depth of George Preddy's
    ignorance.

    Tim

    Tim Brown, Feb 12, 2004
  12. George Preddy

    Tim Brown Guest

    Wrong.

    Tim Brown, Feb 12, 2004
  13. George Preddy

    DM Guest

    *PLONK*
    Get your head out of your arsehole. It's nice outside.

    DM, Feb 13, 2004
  14. George:

    Do you actually think before you make these pronouncements? If what you
    say is true, then only ~530 pixels in a 6MP image would be correct. Don't
    you think it would be just a tad noticable that effectively all the pixels are the
    wrong color?

    Or have you ever considered that since a great many people find the output
    of their digital cameras, whether DSLR or not, to be pretty good, that just
    perhaps, it is your theory that is incorrect?

    --
    Dan (Woj...) dmaster (at) lucent (dot) com

    "Darkness, darkness, be my pillow / Take my hand and let me sleep
    In the coolness of your shadow / In the silence of your deep
    Darkness, darkness, long and lonesome / Is the day that brings me here
    I have felt the edge of silence / I have known the depths of fear"

    Dan Wojciechowski, Feb 13, 2004
  15. ....

    I've asked you before, and you did not answer.

    I'll ask again... Would you please name your prior cameras? I'm personally interested
    to see what you've been able to compare to your SD-9. I'd also love to see a few of
    the photos from your earlier cameras that so convinced you that no camera without a
    Foveon sensor could possibly take a decent picture.

    Dan Wojciechowski, Feb 13, 2004
  16. George Preddy

    OLM Guest

    Quoting from that article: "the 3.4 megapixel Sigma yielded images that
    were like those from a 5 megapixel camera".

    Or translated to Preddy logic: "the 10.2 megapixel Sigma yielded images
    that were like those from a 1.25 megapixel blurred Bayer camera".

    OLM, Feb 13, 2004
  17. George Preddy

    Giorgis Guest

    Hmm, let's use maths to disprove the above

    If we assume that there is only one correct colour
    Then if we take two different films (you pick)
    If they display differnt colours the the argument is mute.

    Offcourse I could be wrong if the statement is saying the film senses
    colour. Well so does the crust in my rice pudding if I leave it out long
    enough.

    Giorgis

    Giorgis, Feb 14, 2004
  18. George Preddy

    Mark Herring Guest

    Dan:
    Do you really not know the answer to this? (Hint; GP is a complete
    fool. Further, he appears to be an attention seeker who thrives on
    tweaking us to get a reaction.)

    Never try to teach a pig to sing--it wastes your time and annoys the
    pig.
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Feb 14, 2004
  19. George Preddy

    John Navas Guest

    In <c0at1s$que$> on Wed, 11 Feb 2004 01:09:50 +0900, "George
    Where the heck do you get such nonsense?

    John Navas, Feb 14, 2004
  20. George Preddy

    Mark Herring Guest

    John;
    You have not followed the GP saga---above statement is nothing
    compared to other absurdities uttered (typed)

    Mark Herring, Feb 14, 2004