The chances Bayer gets 1 pixel color right

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Preddy, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. In a 6M recorded output pixel image, the chances are 1 in 11,333 that a
    single pixel in a Bayer image is the correct color.

    George Preddy, Feb 10, 2004

  2. George Preddy

    per Guest

    What if it's 5M?
    /per

    per, Feb 10, 2004

  3. George Preddy

    Domingo Guest

    ---

    Then I'm one of the luckiest people on the planet - my Olympus turns out
    consistently good images, all with faithful colour reproduction.

    Statistically, the odds against this happening must be astronomical.

    Maybe I should start doing the Lottery?..

    Domingo, Feb 10, 2004
  4. George Preddy

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 10, 2004
  5. George Preddy

    bob Guest

    What a silly statement.

    Given any recorded output pixel from any sensor, the odds are exactly 0
    that it is the correct color.

    When you make a print from said pixel, the odds are 0^2.

    When you view the image under any given light source, the odds are 0^3.

    What difference could it possibly make?

    Unless you happen to be a scientist doing research on recorded color
    values, the only relavant question is, "given any random photograph
    (without anything to compare it to) do you like it?"

    A absolutely adore my boxes of Kodachrome.

    Bob

    bob, Feb 10, 2004
  6. Simon Stanmore, Feb 10, 2004
  7. George Preddy

    Durum Guest

    "George Preddy" wrote

    FYI, you've made 3730 postings so far with no noticeable effect as far as I
    can see. Why continue?

    Durum, Feb 10, 2004
  8. George Preddy

    Dan Dunn Guest

    Have you devoted your life to running down any equipment which you do
    not own?

    Why don't you try adding some (respectable) references to back-up your
    drivel?

    Personally, I think you're pathetic.

    Dan Dunn, Feb 10, 2004
  9. George Preddy

    browntimdc Guest

    And what are the chances of a single dye cloud in film to have
    the correct color?

    Tim

    --

    "The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
    and the second strongest is to resist it."

    Kenneth Graham

    browntimdc, Feb 10, 2004
  10. George Preddy

    eawckyegcy Guest

    The Preddy has discovered the binomial distribution, and has, without
    surprise, made negatively intelligent use of it.

    http://members.aol.com/iandjmsmith/BINEX.HTM

    Or you can just approximate it with a simple multiplication:
    n=6000000, p=1/2^36 (p=1.455191522836685e-11), then the chance of a
    single 'correct' guess in the field of 6000000 attempts is
    approximately n*p = 8.731149137020111e-05, or about 1/11453. (Compare
    to the Preddy's result.)

    Now the Preddy of course has forgotten that a bayer sensor records
    1/3rd of his assumed 36 bits/pixel (a fact that it has admitted many
    times in the past), so the chance of "randomly" guessing the remainng
    bits is is actually p=1/2^24, using his model of the bayer sensor. If
    you grind the arithmetic the probability it speaks of is actually
    about 1/4, not 1/11500 or so.

    But hey, this is Preddy Probability: it _must_ ignore prior knowledge
    and the physical reality that presents it. If it did otherwise then
    it would not be the negatively intelligent entity it is.

    eawckyegcy, Feb 11, 2004
  11. George Preddy

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    What pathetic drivel. Get a life.

    Rudy Garcia, Feb 11, 2004
  12. I've been though more Bayers than I can count on two hands. Most were more
    expensive than my SD9. Only the Foveon outputs quality images.

    George Preddy, Feb 11, 2004
  13. George Preddy

    gsum Guest

    So. if you couln't get decent images from Bayer, why did you
    keep buying them!!!???

    Do you know how to use a camera?

    Graham

    gsum, Feb 11, 2004
  14. George Preddy

    Alan D-W Guest

    I doubt you can count that far Georgy Boy.

    Alan D-W, Feb 11, 2004
  15. I was naiive enough to believe the reviews weren't about pushing mass market
    junk. It took a while, someday you'll get there too.

    George Preddy, Feb 11, 2004
  16. George Preddy

    gsum Guest

    Good point. It has become evident that even the Internet
    review sites such as DPReview are in the claws of the manufacturers
    and cannot be trusted. But exactly the same hype applies to Sigma.

    Graham

    gsum, Feb 11, 2004
  17. Bayer output is interpolated, sorry. You were lied to when you bought it.

    George Preddy, Feb 11, 2004
  18. Film always displays the color it senses. Bayer never does. Bayers cannot
    display a sensed color, they guess all of the pixel colors in every
    interpolated (guessed) image.

    George Preddy, Feb 11, 2004
  19. Wrong, each processed color layer has a single subtractive color dye.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Feb 11, 2004

  20. Hmmm - close top zero chance of that. The only films that have a chance to
    are positive (slide) films of course, and each of these renders colour and
    contrast differently. Same as for Foveon and CFA sensors really

    Simon Stanmore, Feb 11, 2004