The Borg took on a poor student.... who fought back and won!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bling-Bling, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. Bling-Bling

    Bling-Bling Guest

    Bling-Bling, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Bling-Bling

    Peter Guest

    sorta long - but an interesting read
    (should be compulsory reading for those who think Microsoft is all goodness
    and light)

    Peter

    Peter, Apr 5, 2005

  3. Bling-Bling

    steve Guest

    steve, Apr 5, 2005
  4. Bling-Bling

    Adam Guest

    Well worth the read ... though he "won" his case, the killer for me
    is:

    "Zamos is no longer allowed to speak about the case, which is just the
    way Microsoft wants it."

    Adam.

    Adam, Apr 5, 2005
  5. Bling-Bling

    Windows User Guest

    Once you dig through all the bullshit and obfuscation then this last
    statement near the very bottom sticks out like dogs balls

    "Microsoft's academic program is a special low cost program that
    promotes education by providing students and qualified academic
    institutions software at reduced prices. This program can be abused
    when software is purchased for academic prices and resold to the
    general public."

    In NZ there are restrictions on what end users can sell so why this
    should be different is a mystery

    Windows User, Apr 5, 2005
  6. Bling-Bling

    Windows User Guest

    Anyone believe this?

    Windows User, Apr 5, 2005
  7. Bling-Bling

    Mercury Guest

    "sorta long"?

    Huge waffle.

    What was the point?

    Mercury, Apr 5, 2005
  8. Bling-Bling

    Max Burke Guest

    Windows User scribbled:
    Naaaa....

    It's just anothe MS bashing post from some Linux 'advocates'.....

    Max Burke, Apr 5, 2005
  9. Bling-Bling

    shannon Guest

    *RTFA*
    Its a Windows user's fight with Microsoft all the way, I don't think linux
    is mentioned at all.

    shannon, Apr 5, 2005
  10. Bling-Bling

    Bret Guest

    Try reading all the words on the page and you wont look so foolish :)

    Bret, Apr 5, 2005
  11. The mystery is explained in the article. The guy bought the items in
    good faith, found he couldn't use them, and then was told that Microsoft
    wouldn't accept the returns. So he could either a) say goodbye to his
    money, or b) try to recoup his losses by reselling the items.

    Microsoft forced him into the latter course by its policies and
    behaviour. And then tried to sue him when he followed it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 5, 2005
  12. Bling-Bling

    Max Burke Guest

    shannon scribbled:

    See the subject line and the OP's comments, and their previous 'advocacy'
    for Linux tha consists only of Microsoft bashing....

    Max Burke, Apr 6, 2005
  13. Bling-Bling

    shannon Guest

    Don't stalk him, you have plenty of opportunity for your anti linux
    trolling in linux threads.
    Microsoft were obviously heavy handed corporate bullies in this incident,
    they deserved the criticism.

    shannon, Apr 6, 2005
  14. Bling-Bling

    Windows User Guest

    I don't
    The guy buys adcademic software and ends up reselling it on Ebay
    To someone he doesn't know if they are a qualified education user or
    not

    Windows User, Apr 6, 2005
  15. Bling-Bling

    Windows User Guest

    Ah no
    He had several recourses
    One of them was to the shop (Not owned byMS) where he bought the stuff
    And that shop said "We will not take returns of software"
    A policy that many shops happen to have incidentally

    Windows User, Apr 6, 2005
  16. Bling-Bling

    Bling-Bling Guest

    Another recourse he had was to return it directly to Micro$oft within 30
    days. He wrote to Micro$oft by registered mail well within that time
    window, so he knew when they received his letter. Micro$oft chose not to
    reply until after 34 days had passed.

    So he was forced into the only remaining avenue for recovering his money -
    ebay.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Apr 6, 2005
  17. [/QUOTE]

    People's biases are well known. If they weren't it would take 1 post from
    either chris or max for it to become obvious.
    That's why there are advocacy groups guys. Suggest you take it to those :)
    Mayhap ... but some seem to do the job wiithout money. :)
    Certainly they seem to add very little in the way of data to the "debate" :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 6, 2005
  18. ... what's that quote about never seeing a conspiracy where simple
    incompetence explains everything ? :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 6, 2005
  19. Bling-Bling

    Windows User Guest

    Interesting no cross reference to this \
    Ie nothing to prove that MS deliberately shafted him
    Try applying some critical comment to stuff you quote from other
    people

    If the license said he could not resell then he could not resell

    The license does say clearly that the only people who have any rights
    to the software are educational users
    Reselling academic license software to non educational users would be
    clear breach of this
    The shops have to check that people buying the stuff qualify

    I'd say the background to this is widespread ripoffs of people buying
    the academic software and reselling it on ebay for a higher price
    If that be the case then MS is quite entitled to take action to
    prevent this happening
    So any sane person would read a case like this against that background
    and say he was a fool and he should have been more careful

    Windows User, Apr 7, 2005
  20. Bling-Bling

    simondo Guest

    But hang on:

    1) Nothing in the information available publicly from Microsoft precluded
    him on-selling the software. This preclusion was only apparent if you
    loaded the software onto your machine. So the preclusion was hidden from
    him unless he opened the box and loaded the software, which would have
    prevented him from returning the unopened software to Microsoft for refund
    within 30 days as was his publicly stated right.

    2) At what point was he guilty of "irreparable injury to its business
    reputation and goodwill" to Microsoft or "unfair competition" with
    Microsoft "... claiming that his $143.50 in profits forced the company to
    sustain "substantial impact.""???

    If Microsoft went after me in this manner when I'd abided by their
    disclosed/outside of the box policy, I'd be pissed as well.

    simondo, Apr 7, 2005