  1. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Go away, asshole troll.

    Ray Fischer, Apr 24, 2010

  2. RichA

    DanP Guest

    So, will you give up the optical viewfinder and live with the Live
    View only?

    DanP

    DanP, Apr 24, 2010

  3. It all depends on the quality of the viewfinders you're comparing.
    On my Powershot S80, Live View is much better than the optical tunnel. On
    Four Thirds, Live View is surpassing the (rather small) TTL optical
    viewfinder at the moment thanks to the EP-2 800x600 EVF. But for APS-C and
    35mm-formats, the TTL optical viewfinder beats Live View in most
    situations.
    As EVFs get better, they will probably surpass these larger OVFs as well.

    Robert Spanjaard, Apr 24, 2010
  4. RichA

    DanP Guest

    I'd love to see it but I know the dynamic range of the EVF is a
    problem that cannot be solved completely.
    Bad OVF's are bad because they are either too small or not transparent
    enough. That is something that can be easily fixed.

    DanP

    DanP, Apr 24, 2010
  5. How?

    Robert Spanjaard, Apr 24, 2010
  6. RichA

    John A. Guest

    By making them bigger or more transparent?

    John A., Apr 24, 2010
  7. Now there's a bright idea. My compliments to you, John.

    A TTL OVF is a compromise of brightness and size, limited by the amount of
    light collected by the lens. That's why the OVF of a Four Thirds-camera
    needs much smaller than a 35mm-format OVF to stay reasonably bright.
    If you want more brightness, you'll have to make it even smaller. If you
    want it to be bigger, it'll become darker.

    If you want your Four Thirds OVF to be as big and bright as a 35mm OVF,
    the optical system will have to be as big and bright too. That means that,
    to match the size and brightness of a 35mm camera OVF with a 50mm f/1.4
    lens, the Four Thirds camera with a 25mm lens would need an aperture of
    f/0.7.

    Robert Spanjaard, Apr 24, 2010
  8. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    That appears to be a silly question. Care to explain?

    Ray Fischer, Apr 24, 2010
  9. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Go away, asshole troll.