    .... is it "referendums" or "referenda" ?
    :)
    Trevor.

    Trevor §m¡th, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Trevor §m¡th

    Guest Guest

    If you think it matters, then you really do need 24 hour help.

    Guest, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Trevor §m¡th

    Guest Guest

    Is that what you call a referendum on whether to have referendumass?

    Guest, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Trevor §m¡th

    ICee Guest

    Both are correct.

    ICee, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Trevor §m¡th

    Guest Guest

    Motions everywhere, that day..Scary place, the wrong side of the
    Woolwich ferry.

    Guest, Apr 20, 2004
  6. Trevor §m¡th

    Rifleman Guest

    'em.

    ROTFLMAO!

    Rifleman, Apr 20, 2004
  7. Trevor §m¡th

    Guest Guest

    Should be in the London Tourist Guide, "For the most interesting and
    exciting experience of your life, try the Woolwich pedestrian tunnel
    at 00:30 on a Saturday morning. Remember to tip generously".

    Guest, Apr 20, 2004
  8. Trevor §m¡th

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, slumpy mused:

    | Referendiae.

    From the root "referendibus" ...

    mhicaoidh, Apr 20, 2004
  9. Trevor §m¡th

    Rifleman Guest

    You mean a no 27 referendibus?

    Rifleman, Apr 20, 2004
  10. Trevor §m¡th

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Trevor §m¡th mused:

    | ... is it "referendums" or "referenda" ?

    According to Merriam-Webster, both are correct pluralizations (now, is
    *that* a word?).

    mhicaoidh, Apr 20, 2004
  11. Trevor §m¡th

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Rifleman mused:

    | My fairly comprehensive Latin dictionary has no such noun as referendum
    | anyway, so the plural could be anything you want it to be!

    Check for "referendus" and "referre" ....

    mhicaoidh, Apr 20, 2004
  12. Trevor §m¡th

    Rifleman Guest

    That's because "referendum" is not a Latin noun......

    Rifleman, Apr 20, 2004
  13. Trevor §m¡th

    Scraggy Guest

    By Ali G?

    Scraggy, Apr 20, 2004
  14. Trevor §m¡th

    Rifleman Guest

    Referendus is not there, and referre is the stem of refero, referre,
    retulli, relatum - to carry back, bring back, which is a verb, not a noun
    therefore it can't have a plural.

    Rifleman, Apr 20, 2004
  15. Trevor §m¡th

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Rifleman mused:

    | Referendus is not there...

    Then your dictionary is not nearly as comprehensive as you thought. ;-)

    mhicaoidh, Apr 20, 2004
  16. Trevor §m¡th

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, slumpy mused:

    | Quite possibly a joining of two words into one.

    From one source:

    Etymology: New Latin, from Latin, neuter of referendus, gerundive of
    referre to refer.

    mhicaoidh, Apr 20, 2004
  17. Trevor §m¡th

    Rifleman Guest

    Well it's an A Level Latin dictionary so pretty comprehensive I would have
    thought......

    Rifleman, Apr 20, 2004
  18. Trevor §m¡th

    Guest Guest

    II + II ?

    Guest, Apr 20, 2004
  19. Trevor §m¡th

    slylittlei Guest

    A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
    arboreal in it's habits: Trevor §m¡th stated for the record...
    <idly musing...> If they held one on cannabis legalisation, would that be a
    reeferendum...?

    I'll get me coat...

    slylittlei, Apr 20, 2004
  20. Trevor §m¡th

    Guest Guest

    Dear Mr Slumpy,
    Congratulations on passing the new style A Level Applied Mathematics
    Magnum Cum Laude (sorry, following the changes, this is now knows as
    Gud Onya Bruce).
    Your certificate (sorry, paper thingy) will be with you by return of
    post. Please sign the blue thingy and put it in the yellow paper
    thingy and put it in the red thingy at the corner of the road, next to
    the library (sorry big building thingy where you get your videos and
    tapes from and look up girls underwear on the puters).

    Guest, Apr 20, 2004