    snap head that you otherwise could carry in a pocket, or your camera
    bag, a grooved shoe, brass tips like the surveyor's wood tripod with
    rubber covers for indoor, and marked indexing wheels in both axes.

    Mark Johnson, Dec 9, 2003

  2. I think inspector gadget has one of these!

    -=Plane Mad=-, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Mark Johnson

    Jim Townsend Guest

    If you've ever tried to shoot with a long lens (400mm+) on a windy day, the
    best tripod will be very sturdy and weigh at least 30 lbs. You missed that
    aspect :)

    Jim Townsend, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Mark Johnson

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Anything that "portable" could never be sturdy enough to keep
    high-quality (i.e. bulky and heavy) telephoto zooms with a max
    focal length of over 400mm absolutely steady.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 10, 2003
  5. RE/
    This one hits a few of those: http://www.uni-loc.co.uk/

    I've never used anything else, so I can't compare...but I get a lot of use out
    of all the goofey heights/angles it can be set at....and it does break down into
    a unipod or walking stick... But it's kind of heavy for a walking stick...even
    for a tripod IMHO....

    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 10, 2003