The battle moves on from why pay for an OS to why pay for an application(database)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thing2, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. thing2

    AD. Guest

    Huh? You're relying on them? :)

    Some of them probably wouldn't even know what a transaction was, or the
    slightest thing about J2EE.
    I'm not a J2EE (or Java at all really) developer, but I've always had
    the impression that J2EE transaction stuff was all high level container
    and component stuff far removed from the JDBC level. Components could
    define their own transactional methods, and these filtered up to other
    components etc.

    I'm not a J2EE developer though - the closest I get is admining JBoss
    servers.
    J2EE is a very heavyweight bureaucratic overengineered framework with
    lots of development overhead. In the Java world there's quite a movement
    away from it to lighter frameworks that are quicker to develop with.
    J2EE is probably only justified for really really huge projects. 5 yrs
    ago though it probably seemed like an improvement over C++ / CORBA stuff ;)
    They can be added. The standard permissions while not as flexible or
    'rich' are simpler to admin and are usually all that is necessary on
    most Unix servers.

    Unix has traditionally been used more as an application server than a
    file server, as opposed to Netware and NT that started life as mainly
    file servers. ACLs are very important for a file server, but not so much
    for an app server.
    Strange, I would've though the intruder would then try to exploit more
    vulnerable services on the inside servers or desktops rather that just
    go sniffing around fileshares for files. Once they've rooted some PCs or
    servers, ACLs don't really matter and passwords can then be sniffed etc.

    After all, most intruders want the machines not the data (unless of
    course it is for espionage - pretty rare though).
    Yep.

    AD., Feb 18, 2006