Thanks for responses: Having trouble posting to this group

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DFS, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. DFS

    DFS Guest

    Still can't read using OE, but able to browse in Google.

    This is the only group that isn't working. All other rec.photo groups are
    unaffected.

    Obviously can post - duh!

    Have tried unsubscribing / resubscribing - see over 100k not downloaded
    messages on resubscribe, but whittle that down to zero really fast by doing
    a "download next 1000 messages" a few times.

    Still, no messages, none unread.

    Is it possible / likely that Verizon is blocking the group? Maybe something
    to do with the rash of garbage posts lately? But, if this is the case,
    would it even show up in list of available groups, and would I be able to
    post to the group?

    dfs

    By the way, of course I'm not posting using a "real" email address, but if
    anyone would like to help with a personal reply, try dfsoelter (at) gmail
    (dot) com. It's a throwaway account, but I'd still like to keep it clear of
    as much spam as possible - so I don't broadcast it.

    DFS, Apr 25, 2006

  2. DFS

    dwight Guest

    If you're having problems with only one newsgroup, then I'd strongly suspect
    that the fault lies with Verizon. (Well, that and the fact that others are
    NOT having a problem.)

    Oh, and I was just out your way last week, the first time I've been out
    West. Here in Pennsylvania, we have these things we call "mountains", that
    run up to about 3500 feet. My wife and I drove up Mt. Ranier to Paradise
    (5400 feet?), and that mountain goes up another 9,000 feet from there!
    Damned impressive. A photo waiting to be taken everywhere I turned...

    dwight

    dwight, Apr 26, 2006

  3. DFS

    ASAAR Guest

    Despite the "rash" of garbage posts, they total a very small
    amount, and wouldn't be likely to come to Verizon's notice, not
    would they take any action if they were noticed. I assume that OE
    has some kind of filtering capability. If I had the same problem,
    I'd first see if OE has the ability to easily disable all filters.
    If not, you could install another newsreader, and this would be
    easiest for you if another copy of OE could be installed in another
    folder. If for some reason only one copy can be installed, you
    could install another newsreader. This would at least allow you to
    rule out Verizon as the root of the problem if any other newsreader
    could download new messages. There are a number of free news
    readers you could try, and if you think it might be worth trying the
    free version of Agent, go for version 1.x or 2.x, as version 3.x has
    so many new capabilities that it can be a chore getting it installed
    and working properly.

    One more thing to consider (and again, I'm not familiar with OE),
    is there any way for you to test the possibility that new messages
    really are being downloaded, but OE, for some reason, isn't allowing
    them to be seen? Many newsreaders could easily be configured to do
    this, but obviously it wouldn't usually be done intentionally. :)

    ASAAR, Apr 26, 2006
  4. DFS

    Jim Guest

    In addition to that, you can see Mount Ranier from the waterfront in
    Seattle.
    Jim

    Jim, Apr 26, 2006
  5. It's possible, but it wouldn't be my first guess. Over the years I've
    seen god only knows how many "newsgroup problems" that actually turned
    out to be Outlook Express problems. I'd recommend you get some other
    newsgroup software (there are several good, and free, programs out
    there) and see if it can access the group properly. If it can, then you
    know OE is the problem. If not, your other theory becomes more likely.

    Eric Schreiber, Apr 26, 2006

  6. My wife and I went out there a few years ago, too. We arrived at our
    hotel on a very overcast afternoon, so there was nothing to see. We
    joked about this "alleged" mountain they claimed to have.

    The next morning was sunny and clear, and that heap of rock really made
    an impression. I walked out into the parking lot and my jaw dropped.
    All I could think was "Where the hell did *that* come from?"

    Eric Schreiber, Apr 26, 2006
  7. DFS

    dwight Guest

    Not in the two days I was there! Fairly well socked in the whole time.

    :()

    dwight, Apr 26, 2006
  8. DFS

    dwight Guest

    I can imagine.

    When I flew out of SeaTac, the plane climbed through the cloud layer and
    then banked left. Out of my right-side window, I saw Ranier standing up
    through the clouds.

    http://www.tfrog93.com/ranier.jpg (Best I could do out the airplane window.)

    :()

    dwight, Apr 26, 2006
  9. DFS

    Dave Cohen Guest

    I don't know. I am now using Verizon and OE. I sometimes see two problems.
    a) I post and never see it, doesn't seem to depend on the group
    b) And this is very annoying, I'll post, I never see my post directly but it
    shows up as quoted text when others reply, so obviously it did get posted.
    There is no consistency to any of this.

    An another unrelated issue, I seem to be unable to block either re: in the
    subject line or Lionel in the from line. Blocking works for another group.
    I think the group knows why I want to block those items.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Apr 26, 2006
  10. I'd still suggest trying another News client; then you can see what is
    due to your settings, and what may be a Server issue.
    But then you are giving in to the kook. The "real" Lionel posts with his
    own name, and is a photographer.

    John McWilliams, Apr 26, 2006
  11. DFS

    Dave Cohen Guest

    True, but I did this as a last resort when using 're:' didn't work.
    Back to the original problem. Everything is ok in google. It is also ok and
    this response is using OE in another winxp partition. So it's a problem with
    OE, but only running my main winxp partition. Both use automatic updates and
    of course are on the same machine. I've tried News Express but it refuses to
    let me send with an authitacation error even though I'm suppyling the
    correct data.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Apr 26, 2006
  12. DFS

    Dave Guest

    As far as blocking is concerned, I only used Lionel because blocking
    're:' didn't work. Since nothing works the point is mute.

    As far a posts are concerned, it's something to do with OE which shows
    original post but no threads for any group for any messages over a few
    days old, including groups not provided by verizon (Serif and
    Terabyteunlimited). I'm running winxp.
    I have another partition on same machine running a copy of winxp. OE
    works just fine. Both partitions are configured to accept MS updates
    automatically. If anyone can figure this out they get my genius of the
    year award (purley an honor, no money involved).
    I tried installing sample free news readers in the copy partition
    (that's used to test trial downloads), but having trouble posting -
    News Express keeps telling me authentication fails although I've
    supplied what it asks.

    This post is using google, problem is I can't use google for the other
    two groups I monitor.
    I'll perserve with a different news reader.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave, Apr 27, 2006
  13. DFS

    Dave Cohen Guest

    This is my final post on this topic (if it goes thru'). I downloaded and
    this if from Thunderbird. I like it since it looks like OE. What are rss
    groups.
    Dave Cohen (Also just Dave depending on client)

    Dave Cohen, Apr 27, 2006
  14. All rightly then; good!

    I liked it because it didn't look like OE! But that was about 5 years
    ago, and that on a Mac. I abandoned OE before MS abandoned that app. on
    the Mac....<s>

    John McWilliams, Apr 27, 2006