    can't ping from the switch to the laptop, therefore the TFTP won't
    work either.

    Does anyone have a solution for the problem ?

    Catalyst_user, Mar 17, 2005

  2. Thanks for your response, but the problem hasn't been solved yet.

    This is a part of the switch#show vlan

    VLAN Name Status IfIndex Mod/Ports,
    Vlans
    ---- -------------------------------- --------- -------
    ------------------------
    1 default active 6 1/1-2
    2/6-12,2/14-33
    3/1-6
    4/1-6
    5/1-6
    100 Server active 11 2/3,2/5

    VLAN Type SAID MTU Parent RingNo BrdgNo Stp BrdgMode Trans1
    Trans2
    ---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ ------ ---- -------- ------
    ------
    1 enet 100001 1500 - - - - - 0
    0
    100 enet 100100 1500 - - - - - 0
    0

    VLAN MISTP-Inst DynCreated RSPAN
    ---- ---------- ---------- --------
    1 - static disabled
    100 - static disabled

    As you can see, port 5 on module 2 (router module WS-x4232-L3) is
    assigned to VLAN 100, the management vlan.

    Below is the config of the sc0,assigned to vlan 100, on the Supervisor
    Engine II mod.

    sc0: flags=63<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING>
    vlan 100 inet 172.22.124.11 netmask 255.255.254.0 broadcast
    172.22.125.255

    So I connected the PC to the 2/5 port and used 172.22.124.17 as
    ip-address. So I could ping the switch from the PC now, but not
    vice-versa.

    Port Name Status Vlan Level Duplex Speed
    Type
    ----- ------------------ ---------- ---------- ------ ------ -----
    ------------
    2/5 connected 100 normal auto auto
    10/100BaseTX

    Perhaps the problem is located here:
    switch# (enable) SHOW IP ROUTE
    Fragmentation Redirect Unreachable
    ------------- -------- -----------
    enabled enabled enabled

    The primary gateway: 172.22.125.253
    Destination Gateway RouteMask Flags Use
    Interface
    --------------- --------------- ---------- ----- --------
    ---------
    default 172.22.125.253 0x0 UG 0 sc0
    172.22.124.0 172.22.124.11 0xfffffe00 U 92 sc0
    172.22.0.0 172.22.124.11 0xffff0000 UG 2 sc0

    I cleared the IP ROUTE table, but that didn't change anything. By the
    way, the switch was used at another place, brought here and now it's
    still located in a testing enviroment, so there is no primary gateway
    attached, just a single PC.

    I hope this makes the situation easier to understand.

    Catalyst_user, Mar 18, 2005

  3. Catalyst_user

    Hansang Bae Guest

    It should have work since you could ping the switch from your PC. So I
    would suggest that you turn off your FW software and try again.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Mar 19, 2005
  4. So I'm not the only person here that has experience with M$ WinXP SP2's POS
    firewall, I see....lol

    -Richard

    Richard Graves, Mar 19, 2005
  5. It should have work since you could ping the switch from your PC. So I
    Thanks for this excellent tip. I asked the admin to remove the
    firewall from that laptop and suddenly my problem was solved ! Those
    things make a monday morning feel like a friday evening :)

    Thanks again !!

    Catalyst_user, Mar 21, 2005
  6. Catalyst_user

    Hansang Bae Guest

    It was actually BlackICE Defender about 2 to 3 years ago.

    I was playing with BlackIce and forgot that I had it installed. Took
    me about 45 minutes of troubleshooting before I realized what I did!

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Mar 22, 2005