tftp boot problem + Cisco 805

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Andree Toonk, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. Andree Toonk

    Andree Toonk Guest

    Hello,

    I want a cisco 805 router to boot its IOS image with tftp, but it always
    loads its old image from flash...
    I looked on the console suring boot time, it doesn't even try to boot via
    tftp, so it looks like the command boot system tftp c800-y6-mw.123-5.bin
    192.168.1.18 is ignored.
    I seem to do something wrong, maybe someone can help me.

    This is a part of my config:
    <>
    Current configuration:
    !
    version 12.0
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    service password-encryption
    !
    hostname Cisco805
    !
    boot system tftp c800-y6-mw.123-5.bin 192.168.1.18
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    ip name-server 192.168.1.18
    ip address-pool local
    !
    !
    process-max-time 200
    !
    interface Ethernet0
    description connected_to_officenetwork
    ip address 192.168.1.250 255.255.254.0
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no keepalive
    !
    </>

    show version:
    Cisco805#sh ver
    IOS (tm) C805 Software (C805-OY6-MW), Version 12.0(4)XM, EARLY DEPLOYMENT
    RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info
    Compiled Thu 17-Jun-99 18:20 by linda
    Image text-base: 0x0013B000, data-base: 0x00589000

    ROM: TinyROM version 1.4(1)
    Cisco805 uptime is 1 minute
    System restarted by power-on
    System image file is "flash:aaa0843.bin"

    Cisco C805 (MPC860) processor (revision 0) with 47176K bytes of virtual
    memory.
    Processor board ID JAD044205PN
    CPU part number 33
    Bridging software.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 Serial(sync/async) network interface(s)
    8M bytes of physical memory (DRAM)
    8K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory
    4M bytes of flash on board

    Configuration register is 0x2102

    Cisco805#sh flash
    Directory of flash:/

    0 ---- 49096 Aug 02 1999 23:35:03 TinyROM-1.2(2)
    1 ---- 49096 Nov 08 2000 03:38:37 TinyROM-1.4(1)
    41 -r-x 2529320 Jun 18 1999 01:26:58 aaa0843.bin

    4194304 bytes total (1507328 bytes free)

    hope someone can give me some advise,
    Thanks,
    -Andree

    Andree Toonk, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Andree Toonk

    Bryan Guest

    Can you ping the tftp server once the router boots? The router will default
    to the flash image if it can't load an IOS that is listed in the boot system
    commands.

    Bryan, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Andree Toonk

    Andree Toonk Guest

    Hi Brian,

    Yes I can ping the router once it's booting.
    It seems it doesn't even try to tftp, I don't see messages saying it can't
    reach the tftp server, or if its trying to...

    -Andree

    Andree Toonk, Dec 30, 2003
  4. Andree Toonk

    RR Guest

    Also check the config-register it should be something like 0x---2

    RR, Dec 30, 2003
  5. Andree Toonk

    Andree Toonk Guest

    Hi RR,

    - Andree

    Andree Toonk, Dec 30, 2003
  6. Andree Toonk

    Yokoi Guest

    Hi,

    It seems you are using supernetting (255.255.254.0). Please check the
    subnet mask in your tftp server. Both are using the same. Also,
    disable any firewall software running in the server.

    Good luck,

    R.Garcia

    Yokoi, Jan 2, 2004
  7. Andree Toonk

    zaphod1979

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    How does it find the tftp server?

    I have the same problem. But it occurs to me that as specified the router can never boot from tftp. When it first boots, it needs to contact the tftp server specified. But how can it do this? Until the ios and running config are loaded, there will be no functioning interfaces on the router, therefore there is no way for the router to contact the tftp server to load the ios in the first place. So booting from a network location seems to me to be a paradox!! Anyone shed any light on this???

    zaphod1979, May 21, 2009