tft monitor breakdown - but at which point? input invited ...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Jun 1, 2006.

  1. Got up this morning, went to check email, monitor asleep.
    I wiggle mouse, get short flash of dim picture, then black.
    [expletive deleted]

    shut down comp, reboot, same on reboot sequence: the bios screen flashes on,
    than off, text screen flashes on, then off, no windows screen at all.
    At this point I better give some tech info: we're looking at an ATI 9600xt
    video card, a HP1955 monitor (19") connected via dvi cable. My thought was: the
    backlight is broken.

    Have breakfast and a cuppa, take a dump.

    Carry tft monitor to wife's computer, plug it in to the vga output, IT WORKS!

    Carry wife's analogue vdu to my comp, plug it into the vga output, it works.

    Use a vga to dvi cable to plug wife's comp into dvi input on my monitor, works.

    Carry my monitor back to where it belongs, plug back in via dvi-dvi (daring
    move here) and it [expletive] works.

    ==========
    Well and good so far, but what happened here?

    I don't think the cables were loose. The monitor still reacted several times to
    change of picture with a wee flicker, but didn't hold the display. Besides,
    they were fixed tightly with the screws.

    Video card overheating? Unlikely. The comp was running over night, but windows
    had shut down hdd and monitor, there was no activity beyond desktop - and it
    was a cold night to boot. Also, I've left the comp on for weeks at a time
    before and never had this problem. Hmmm - opinions?

    The shuffling and bumping things around 'fixed' whatever went wrong? What kind
    of backlight do these monitors actually use?

    I am happy things are working right now, but I think I had better prepare for a
    recurrence of the problem, so I'd like some useful input. Anybody have a
    similar experience with their tft monitor?

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jun 1, 2006

  2. Everything went fine for a few hours, then, suddenly, the monitor went black
    again.

    Shut down the comp, reconnected via vga cable, it works.

    Then after 10 mins it went black again. In fact did so while I was typing this
    message.

    Power-cycled the monitor, now it goes.

    grrrrr ...

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 1, 2006

  3. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sorry to hear this Peter. When I read your first post my thought was
    "intermittent fault". Hopefully just with the backlight or backlight PSU.
    I've seen dual "MTBF" numbers quoted for the same monitor, one for backlight
    and one for panel, with the backlight one usually being significantly lower
    than the panel one.

    Hopefully it's not too expensive or is covered by warranty/CGA...

    Good luck.

    ~misfit~, Jun 1, 2006
  4. Peter Huebner

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Is it completely dead or is it just that the backlight isn't working?
    (ie, you should be able make out a very faint and dark image on the
    monitor when it has gone dark).

    I've got a couple of Toshiba laptops that do this, it is an effect of
    corrosion on the FL inverter connectors and easily fixed; maybe your
    problem is similar. It may be some other inverter fault of course, which
    I wouldn't think would be expensive.

    Good luck.

    -=rjh=-, Jun 1, 2006
  5. The screen goes completely black. Backlight seems to be off. Led still working,
    monitor makes high frequency flirring noise (not very loud).
    For the time being it's up again. But I guess I will end up having to send it
    in some time soon. Fortunately it should still be under its 3 year warranty.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 1, 2006
  6. Peter Huebner

    Brendan Guest

    Demons. Plain and simple. Your monitor has had truck with the spawn of
    satan. It really is as simple as that.

    A less popular explanation is that the components in your monitor/vga card
    (capacitors most likly) are weak and playing up. Dry joints also possible.

    When you moved it around, it allowed the monitor to 'reset' it's firmware,
    or it jiggled the dry joint.

    Why now after years ? Heat. Heat has opened up the joints or weakened the
    components, etc.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #291262 +(3996)- [X]

    <Mendo> lmao there's a wicked lookign spider on my monitor and if i move
    the mouse around he chases after it
    <spitfire> haha mendo
    <spitfire> take a screen shot
    <spitfire> wait
    <spitfire> that made no sense

    Note: All my comments are copyright 1/06/2006 4:55:48 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 5, 2006
  7. Peter Huebner

    BTMO Guest

    Heat as in the fiery sulfurous heat of hellfire and damnation???

    Personally, I think your "demons" suggestion is spot on...

    BTMO, Jun 5, 2006
  8. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I agree. I know that it's not a widely accepted theory but I've successfully
    exorcised several, previously problematical PCs now and they're running fine
    now that they've accepted Jesus as their saviour.

    With access to all the evil on the internet is it any wonder that demons
    will find machines that they can prey on? I urge all my frinds to paint
    crucifixes on their PCs and add Holy Water to the liquid-cooled ones coolant
    tanks.

    ~misfit~, Jun 5, 2006
  9. Peter Huebner

    BTMO Guest

    You know, I remember reading about some pastor in the US who used *exactly*
    this argument as a cause of the downfall of society...

    BTMO, Jun 5, 2006
  10. Peter Huebner

    Brendan Guest

    Go Tell it on the Mountain, Brother!

    lol

    --

    .... Brendan

    #409 +(4383)- [X]

    <DaZE> at my school.. the cop from DARE passed around 3 joints to show
    everyone... and he said "if i dont get all three of these back this schools
    getting locked down and everyones getting searched till i find it.." and
    like 30 minutes later when everyone got to see 'em and they got passed back
    the cop had 4

    Note: All my comments are copyright 5/06/2006 3:55:10 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 5, 2006
  11. Peter Huebner

    Brendan Guest

    lol, yes. We all know those who use computers are damned already. Damned if
    you do, damned if you don't. Doubly damned if you use windows.

    It's all there in the microsoft EULA. Plain english. It even talks about
    the blood of your child, untold riches, etc.

    It's all right there. Don't believe me ? Read every single word of it then
    get back to me.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #205195 +(3699)- [X]

    <MortalKombat> stfu mat|t u cu.nt
    * Acaila sets mode: +b MortalKombat!*@*
    <@Acaila> FINISH HIM
    <mat|t> rofl
    <MortalKombat> omg wtf man
    * MortalKombat was kicked by Acaila (forward, forward, back, back, forward,
    punch)
    <@Acaila> FATALITY!

    Note: All my comments are copyright 5/06/2006 3:51:28 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 5, 2006