    opened it yet and will return it if I find out it is, in fact, what I
    expect - a simple repackaging.

    Dr. Nick

    Dr.Nick Riviera, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Dr.Nick Riviera

    Wade365 Guest

    << I bought it hoping for an all new anamorphic transfer but haven't
    opened it yet and will return it if I find out it is, in fact, what I
    expect - a simple repackaging. >>

    Generally it's printed somewhere on the package as anamorphic or "Enhanced for
    widescreen TVs".

    Wade365, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Apparently you haven't seen the packaging. It's very vague. It lists
    the transfer as "NEW" but uses the same exact wording as the old DVD
    from a few years back leading me to believe it is, again, just a
    repackaging of the old DVD. If you had the new one, you'd know what I
    was talking about.

    Dr. Nick

    Dr.Nick Riviera, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Dr.Nick Riviera

    Wade365 Guest

    In a different thread I was asking about the new issue of "Ninja Scroll" and
    the WS version, because the story was originally framed for 4:3... someone else
    piped in with the fact that yes, they are sort of pulling a "reverse P&S" and
    re-cropping 4:3 so that they fit 16:9 screens, essentially eliminating the top
    and or bottom of the frame and enlarging what's left over in order to fit the
    screen.

    If TCM was shot on 16mm and there is no way to make a proper WS print other
    than the butchery described above, then I would avoid any version of TCM which
    claims anamorphic content... but that's just me.

    If it isn't re-cropped, has anyone at least seen the transfer to tell us if
    it's any better than exsisting versions?

    Wade365, Oct 17, 2003
  5. Dr.Nick Riviera

    PW Guest

    If it isn't re-cropped, has anyone at least seen the transfer to tell us if

    I bought the new version (partly because it was cheaper than the
    first...it was always $32.99 or higher at Best Buy), and I have never
    seen the first DVD transfer, but the scene the Digital Bits makes
    mention of,(the scene that is supposed to dissolve from the house to
    the full moon, but instead the moon just "pops" up and there is no
    dissolve, appears to be fixed on this version), however there are
    still "lines" present in some parts of the print, especially towards
    the end.

    I think there will never really be a "superior" transfer of this film.
    Yes, the laserdisc did look great, but it didn't look like a
    widescreen David Lean epic either. According to the DB article, the
    original 16mm print as stored very badly, and this I'm sure may have
    contributed to the condition it is in now. I am not a die-hard fan of
    the movie, but I enjoy watching it and am glad to have this version on
    DVD.

    Hope this helps,

    PW

    PW, Oct 17, 2003