Testing UDLD on copper interfaces

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by ango, Oct 27, 2009.

  1. ango

    ango Guest

    Hi all,

    I have to verify the correct working of UDLD protocol on copper
    interfaces.
    In my lab two 6509 Catalysts are connected betweeen them with
    4x10/100/1000 links, taken form a WS-X6148A-GE-TX port adapter. An
    Etherchannel is used to combine these links into one logical channel.
    Autonegotiation is already enabled on the involved interfaces and
    Rapid Spanning Tree is configured.

    I'm planning to enable aggressive UDLD on all these interfaces with
    the "udld port aggressive" command; I'm looking a way to test if it
    works. I think the most critical point would be how to simulate an
    unidirectional link.

    Any idea how to implement it? I''ve read on a forum about one possible
    strategy: to put a non-Cisco L2 device between the two Catalysts and
    unplug one side after the UDLD peers have been created.

    Has anyone tested it successfully? Any other suggestion about
    alternative ways to have an unidirectional link on copper interfaces?

    Thanks
    Alessandro

    ango, Oct 27, 2009