    If you have a 400D could you check for sensor dust using the same steps
    outlined in the site above and let me know what you find?

    Bill.

    Bill Hilton, Oct 11, 2006

  2. Bill Hilton

    Celcius Guest

    Bill,
    I found your test very interesing and I'm looking forward to the follow-up
    as well as people's comments. What I found strange is the fact that new, the
    sensor was already "dirty".
    I might add an idea that popped up to my mind while reading : what might be
    acceptable to some may become unacceptable to others. You were right in
    saying that some of those specs might not show up on an ordinary photo while
    they do on the DDD.
    Cheers,
    Marcel

    Celcius, Oct 11, 2006

  3. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    I just thought of another test to run ... turn off the "automatic
    sensor cleaning" feature so the sensor cover won't vibrate, then put a
    100-400 IS lens on ... this one zooms by extending the barrel, forcing
    air out the back of the lens and into the chamber when you zoom from
    400 to 100 mm, long suspected as a source of dust.

    So I'll trombone this lens a dozen times then re-run the dust check and
    see if I get any new specks. If I do then I'll turn back on the ASC
    feature and see if these are cleaned. You would think this is the kind
    of dust that the ASC would clean up. Will probably do this in the next
    few hours.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 11, 2006
  4. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    ..
    Marcel,

    I think I have bad luck with dirty new cameras from Canon. The first
    digital I ever bought was the 1Ds and I was really, REALLY nervous
    about having to learn how to clean the sensor by practicing on an
    $8,000 camera :) So I was really careful when I put the lens on and
    didn't want to take it off ... then I stopped down to f/32 to a panning
    shot and the dirt was awful ... I just went back to that frame and it
    had 113 specks on it ... here's a 100% crop snippet, it was about this
    bad all over the frame ... this is from a new camera ...
    http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/tests/1ds_dust_W0286.jpg
    ..
    I agree. For me I know I have a problem if I see the specks at 25%,
    typically when previewing the images with the RAW converter. Probably
    the 25 specks on the 400D sensor would not show up in my normal
    shooting except when I stopped down for panning, but still I would
    prefer to remove them :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 11, 2006
  5. Bill Hilton

    Celcius Guest

    Hi Bill!

    Please don't get angry at me. I find this pretty clean... You should have
    seen my 350D before I decided to clean it with a Pecpad and Eclipse ;-)
    I do agree that it's a darn nuisance. I have a Canon, but I doubt people who
    have a Nikon 70D, Canon 20D or anything else for that matter who change
    lenses and tell us that everything is fine!

    Take care,

    Marcel

    Celcius, Oct 11, 2006
  6. Bill Hilton

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Thanks Bill. I've marked that URL for future reference.

    The sensor dust removal stuff is all quite new. I'd expect that
    in a little while Canon might come out with updated instructions
    or the community will more or less agree on a proper set of
    instructions.

    Still, the problems you found are worrisome.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Oct 13, 2006
  7. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    (Sorry if a similar post appears twice, the first one crashed as it was
    uploading so dunno if it made it ... don't see it so probably not).

    I posted an update to the site, trimming down the first part a bit and
    adding some new tests.

    Turned off the auto sensor clean and played trombone with a 100-400 IS
    L trying to stir up the air in the chamber to see if I could add more
    dust ... this was too successful, adding ten new spots, including one
    so big than even Marcel might be bothered by it ... then turned ASC
    back on to see if five cleaning cycles would clear up the new dust
    specks ... read about the results at the link ...

    Also tried a 27 shot burst to see what effects a rapidly flapping
    shutter might have if there is known dust in the chamber ...

    Then I did a manual sensor clean, first with the Sensor Brush (which
    got most of it) and finally with a Pec Pad and Eclipse ... first time
    I've ever had a speck that wouldn't clear up with a Pec Pad.

    Added a summary and my conclusions at the end. Canon lovers may
    cringe, Canon haters will enjoy reading it ...

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 13, 2006