Testing: Hooking Two Phones to the VOLP Gizmo

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by cpurvis3, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. cpurvis3

    cpurvis3 Guest

    I've just signed-up with Sunrocket (too early to give an accurate
    opinion, but so far no problems (knock wood!)) and would like to
    eventually use the existing house wiring.

    As a simple test, I expected the "gizmo" (what sunrocket calls the
    device) would work if I plug two separate phones into the single gizmo
    jack using a dual phone jack adapter. But both phones didn't work! If
    I unplug either one of them from the adapter, the other single
    connected phone works.

    The reason I'm testing in this way is because I ultimately would like
    to use the existing house wiring (yes I know I would need to make sure
    the house wiring is no longer connected to the land-based provider).
    So I thought a simple test like I described above would work.

    Note: I know the dual jack adapter is working fine, as well both phones
    because I'm still able to test this configuration on my landline phone
    (landline service hasn't been cancelled yet).

    All I'm basically doing is "splitting" the phone line connected to the
    gizmo and attaching two separate phones, and expecting both phones to
    work. What am I missing here in my assumption ??????
    I should mention, but it shouldn't matter, that one of the phones I'm
    using is the expandable type. I'll ty using two regular phones.

    cpurvis3, Jan 9, 2006

  2. cpurvis3

    Moe Guest

    I went with cordia they sent a sipura box for the interface. I
    jumped it to the house phone wiring (of course unhooked the landline
    from the box first) and it is working OK that way. I have two phones
    and a recorder on the lines. I like the old manual recorder better then
    a voice mail box which is also available. One glance at the recorder
    and I know if I've gotten a call. I use a cable modem and two or three
    computers plus the phone through a router. I was having problems the
    other day and changed the router with a cheap one from wal-mart to help
    trouble shoot the problem. The voip was not usable using the new router
    but when I plugged the sipura directly to the phone box it worked fine
    so the cable slow or the new (cheap) router can't handle the load.
    testing to be done.

    Moe, Jan 12, 2006

  3. cpurvis3

    Marc Popek Guest