Testers begin to unravel secrets of Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John Barnes, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. x64 is down, the 32-bit got interrupted around 72% and is now restarted.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 28, 2005

  2. Got home around 10:30pm, both are done. Tomorrow (maybe) I shall burn the
    DVDs and then we shall see what happens.

    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 28, 2005

  3. No, I'm a pessimist. That way I'm either pleasantly surprised or things work
    out just as I expected! <G>

    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 28, 2005
  4. Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 28, 2005
  5. John Barnes

    Tim Guest

    Thanks. I have VS SP1 Beta, but will multi-boot instead.
    Perhaps this info could be on the web site? I had a bit of a poke around
    there and could not see such a summary.

    - Tim

    Tim, Jul 28, 2005
  6. John Barnes

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Jul 28, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 28, 2005
  8. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 28, 2005
  9. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 28, 2005
  10. John Barnes

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Jul 28, 2005
  11. John Barnes

    Tim Guest

    I tried to install last night as multiboot.

    I got a STOP 7b which if I recall is usually a missing device driver.
    The boot device (try 1) was a 250GB SATA drive on a Silicon Image 3112 SATA
    controller. I expected that common SATA controller drivers would be
    included... The device is not in RAID.
    Tried again to a partition on my main RAID 1 config - hanging off an Intel
    82801ER controller. I *did* expect Intel drivers, but am not surprised that
    RAID 1 drivers are not in there.

    This all assumes that the Stop 7B is due to drivers. Both partitions are a
    long way down the respective discs (IE > cylinder 1024).

    Any hints anyone?
    Is there a new "public" news group for this?

    The documentation - of what I can find so far - implies that XP drivers
    should work. Is this correct?

    - Tim

    Tim, Jul 28, 2005
  12. I am now up and fully functional in Vista 64. It is multibooted with XP
    x64. The boot options are weird, though. First I get a screen that has
    "Longhorn" and "Legacy Windows" and if I choose Legacy Windows I get another
    boot options screen for "Windows XP Professional x64" and "Longhorn" (yes,
    again).
    I get about 5 seconds on each screen to make up my mind. And no, I did not
    have two attempts to install Vista. It all succeeded on the first go.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 29, 2005
  13. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 30, 2005
  14. Yeah, I'm not sure why that happens. But I could do without it. Oh well, set
    the time outs short and get on with business.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 30, 2005