Testers begin to unravel secrets of Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John Barnes, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. Thanks. It's tricky, since we're at the very early stages of this product.
    But this reflects the best thinking at the moment.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005

  2. I queued up both 32 and 64bit editions. There was an interruption of the
    32bit at 77% and the transfer manager rolled on to the 64bit edition. It
    will be many hours.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005

  3. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 28, 2005
  4. Me either. Why didn't you choose the option to have them mail it?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 28, 2005
  5. You do know you can have the dl manager multithread, right? It will run them
    concurrently. If the download limiter is on the MS side (and it usually is
    if you're on broadband), this will speed things up significantly.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 28, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 28, 2005
  7. John Barnes

    Neal Guest

    Man I wish I could get my hands on this. But I am still waiting for my TAP
    so who know maybe if a few months they will have a download for everyting to
    try a trail version like they did with 64bit.

    Neal, Jul 28, 2005
  8. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 28, 2005
  9. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 28, 2005
  10. John Barnes

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    I downloaded my 32 Bit copy from MSDN. I am avoiding the 64 Bit Download,
    due to the Lack of Driver's Available (smaller download = less driver's
    available).

    Kevin Panzke, Jul 28, 2005
  11. No need. Mine's screaming along at around 100 kbytes a second so when I wake
    up in the morning, it'll be done.

    Being a bear for punishment, I'm downloading both the 32 bit and 64 bit even
    though I know I won't be able to use the 64 bit because of the same lack of
    drivers that prevents me from using X64.

    See ya in around 12-14 hours!

    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 28, 2005
  12. I didn't even think about that. Of course the downloads are done now and I
    am burning the dvd's. Natch. Thanks.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 28, 2005
  13. Always the optimist, eh, David? ;)

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 28, 2005
  14. Colin Barnhorst, Jul 28, 2005
  15. But there are far fewer mobos, etc for 64bits, so maybe that's not such a
    factor.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 28, 2005
  16. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    John Barnes, Jul 28, 2005
  17. John Barnes

    Neal Guest

    If that do that I would be happy. I am thinking that the Beta 2 will not be
    out for a while though like 4th quarter. It sounds like this OS will have a
    final relase around 3rd or 4th quarter of 2006.

    Neal, Jul 28, 2005
  18. John Barnes

    Tim Guest

    Will it work under Virtual Server or Virtual PC, should I set up a dual
    boot, or buy another computer?
    Its downloading now...
    - Tim

    Tim, Jul 28, 2005
  19. The target is to rtm in time for pc builders to be able to sell vista
    preinstalled on new systems for the holiday season. Halloween? About then.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 28, 2005
  20. It will not install on VPC. Virtual Server is no doubt the same, although I
    have not tried it on VS SP1 beta.

    You will see about ten minutes of intermittent dvd drive activity and then
    you will get a message that a boot error has occurred. End of the line.
    And yes, I partitioned the vhd first as instructed for all raw hard drives
    by the readme file on the Vista beta cd.

    Do not attempt a dual boot with any version of Windows prior to W2k SP6.
    Doing so will blow up the older OS.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 28, 2005