Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by Barb Bowman, Mar 28, 2007.

  1. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

  2. FWIW department...

    I have screen shots of a fully successful test of a Belkin F5D7230-4 v6002
    router here...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Mar 28, 2007

  3. GREAT tool! My Linky passed everything but uPNP. I still have my wireless
    problem, so I have 100' of cat dragging around the house. I am waiting until
    I upgrade the tablet to Vista so I can really dig into it. Yesterday, the
    fulfillment center told me I cannot get a 64bit upgrade even though the
    tablet is compatible :(
    Tony

    Tony Linguini, Mar 28, 2007
  4. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Tony, check for newer firmware for your Linksys (what model/hardware
    rev/firmware rev is this?)

    Many of the devices that fail will pass with newer firmware.

    I've been testing a new tablet that is fully x64 - see my blog for
    info -

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Mar 28, 2007
  5. FWIW department part 2...

    My old Buffalo WBR-G54 running the 2.20 firmware passed all of the tests...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Mar 28, 2007
  6. Linksys WRT54GS rev 6 Firmware 1.52.0 (most current)
    Tony

    Tony Linguini, Mar 29, 2007
  7. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Mar 29, 2007
  8. Barb,
    I was the one with the DLink that when enabling wireless, the router would
    constantly reboot. You suggested downgrading the firmware, and that worked
    UNTIL I changed hard drives and clean reinstalled Vista Ultimate 64bit. I
    had so many issues then that I bought a new (compatible I thought) Linksys.

    Now, when I enable wireless, I lose all of the hard wired computers (XP or
    Vista), and the wireless connection cycles (on the XP tablet) every 120
    seconds or so. That is why I figure I'll wait until the fulfillment center
    sends me the Vista upgrade for the tablet. Installing Vista on the tablet
    will give me a new set of issues.

    I read your blog and am anxious to let you know how my tablet works with
    Vista.
    Tony

    Tony Linguini, Mar 30, 2007
  9. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    which Linksys (details) and what NIC? I can't remember all the
    threads.

    which tablet do you have?

    Barb Bowman, Mar 30, 2007
  10. Linksys is WRT54GS revision 6. (Wireless G broadband router)
    NIC is Intel onboard Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec) LAN subsystem using the
    IntelĀ® 82573E/82573V
    Gigabit Ethernet Controller

    Tablet is Asus R1F and I LOVE it so far (even with XP Tablet os on it)
    Tony

    Tony Linguini, Mar 31, 2007
  11. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    does the Linksys router have the 1.52 firmware?
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...937314B274&displaypage=download#versiondetail

    Barb Bowman, Mar 31, 2007
  12. Yes, and I even re-flashed it at the direction of Linksys support (even
    though I knew I aldready installed it)
    Linksys also told me to set the Vista computer to a static IP to the router,
    but IPV6 negates that. If I disable IPV6 I get no internet, or a way back
    into the router.
    Tony

    Tony Linguini, Mar 31, 2007
  13. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what is your wireless security type - WPA2? WPA? WEP? does changing
    the encryption type on the router and client(s) make any difference?

    Barb Bowman, Mar 31, 2007
  14. I do not use any encryption, I disable wireless when I am not using it.
    Tony

    Tony Linguini, Mar 31, 2007
  15. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    could you please try with WPA or WPA2 and leave wireless enabled on
    the router? running with no encryption is very scary. (note that
    security and safety aside, this may make a difference to your
    experience - there was a similar issue a while back that had to do
    with encryption and lost connectivity).

    Barb Bowman, Mar 31, 2007
  16. Well, I have it working with WEP. Forgive me but I have never dealt with any
    wireless security. The Linksys site only addressed WEP. Doesn't WPA(2) need
    one of those hand held password devices?
    Tony

    Tony Linguini, Apr 1, 2007
  17. That was too good to be true. The XP tablet just disconnected and
    reconnected BUT it ran longer than it ever had.
    Tony

    Tony Linguini, Apr 1, 2007
  18. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    not sure where you are getting the idea about handheld password
    devices. all you need to do is enter the passphrase in the router's
    admin page after you select WPA or WPA2

    for XP SP2 see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_wirelesssecurity.mspx
    for some screen shots and instructions.

    Barb Bowman, Apr 1, 2007
  19. OK, I have WPA2 working, but I am back to the same old disconnect every few
    minutes (on the tablet)
    When I visit my daughter, I connect to her apartment complex open wireless
    with no problems at all.
    I was thinking of blaming One Care, but that negates that theory. This
    weekend I am taking her a Vista computer, and I am afraid I am going to
    really start issues there. One thing that seems weird, when the tablet
    starts disconnecting, I start seeing other available wireless networks, that
    are not really there. Strange.
    Tony

    Tony Linguini, Apr 2, 2007
  20. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    a couple of things -
    when you power down the Vista computer completely with the hardwired
    Intel Nic, does the XP tablet keep it's wired connection ok with
    WPA2?

    the wired computer - is it still set to static or DHCP?
    can you set to DHCP and unbind IPv6 ?
    can you disable UPnP on the Linksys as a test?

    I can't comment on the computer you are bringing to your daughter -
    too many unknowns.

    What do you mean about seeing other wireless networks that aren't
    really there?

    Barb Bowman, Apr 2, 2007