Test results: DVD+R recorded on DVD-recorder won't play on PC

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Lars-Erik Østerud, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Done som testing to figure out what works and what does not :)

    1) Recording on DVD+R, edit of title afterwards, finalize:
    + Play on some DVD-splayers (haven't found the logic yet)
    + Files readable on PC (can be copied etc)
    - Does not play in MediaPlayer on PC (complete lockup)
    - DVD Shrink gives error when trying to scan the disc

    2) Recording on DVD+R, finalize immediatly (no editing)
    + Plays on most DVD-players
    + Files readable on PC (can be copied etc)
    + Plays in MediaPlayer (but you can't use the position-bar)
    - DVD Shrink gives error when trying to scan the disc

    3) Recording on DVD+RW
    + Plays on all DVD-players
    + Files readable on PC (can be copied etc)
    + Plays in MediaPlayer (but you can't use the position-bar)
    + DVD Shrink scans the disc OK like a standard DVD

    Conclusion must be that if you record directly to a DVD+R you cannot
    edit anything on the disc. Then something is messed up inside the .IFO
    and .VOB files, and MediaPlayer and some DVD-players refuses to play.

    Best choice seems to be recording on DVD+RW. Then you can edit (title
    names, index pictures, add chapter, remove commercials etc) and then
    make a copy to a DVD+R on a PC afterwards to get a standard DVD-video.

    But it's a shame (and strange) that you can't even chosse the title
    name on a DVD+R recording without messing it up (why can't it ask for
    the title name at start or end of the recording, then you wouldn't
    have to write more to the disc - seems like that is the problem).

    BTW: Havn't tried recording two seesion to one disk yet :)

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Jan 8, 2006

  2. Lars-Erik Østerud

    maiet Guest

    fine for me

    - DVD Shrink gives error when trying to scan the disc

    fine for me
    again, fine for me
    works for me

    maiet, Jan 8, 2006

  3. Lars-Erik Østerud

    maiet Guest

    in my testing, a recording done on a +r disc from a cheap +r reocrder wont
    be recognized in dvd shrink. however, on a more expensive recorder its fne.

    maiet, Jan 8, 2006
  4. Lars-Erik Østerud

    GMAN Guest

    That is because many of the cheap walmart type $100 burners record in VR mode,
    whick many pc software titles have trouble with.
    Tmpg DVD author should work as does Ulead 4.0 and others in reading the disks
    though.

    GMAN, Jan 8, 2006
  5. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Guest Guest

    | Conclusion must be that if you record directly to a DVD+R you cannot
    | edit anything on the disc. Then something is messed up inside the .IFO
    | and .VOB files, and MediaPlayer and some DVD-players refuses to play.

    The software on consumer devices tends to be the kind of junk you would
    get from hiring the lowest bidder when letting out a contract to do the
    development.

    | But it's a shame (and strange) that you can't even chosse the title
    | name on a DVD+R recording without messing it up (why can't it ask for
    | the title name at start or end of the recording, then you wouldn't
    | have to write more to the disc - seems like that is the problem).

    Actually it works for me on Panasonic and RCA recorders and Panasonic
    and Magnavox players in all combinations when I've renamed the program
    and/or renamed the disc.

    | BTW: Havn't tried recording two seesion to one disk yet :)

    I've recorded as many as 8.

    I do tend to see other strange errors, which may be software or hardware.
    Things like refusing to finalize and just powering itself off in the middle
    of a recording. I've also had cases of disc filling up after about 5 minutes
    of recording on a fresh new disk just taken from a freshly unwrapped spindle
    and where I can see just a little bit actually recorded on the backside.

    Guest, Jan 10, 2006