    the tesco software?

    The handset is branded Internet Phone model E337.

    Cheers in advance

    RX.3000, Aug 19, 2006

  2. Thus spaketh RX.3000:

    No unlocking required, it's just a glorified soundcard with speaker and
    mic attached to moulded plastic.

    Can't remember the link, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with
    the drivers for it to be used on VoipCheap, VoIPStunt (which is better)
    and the other one which is slightly better still, plus the others.

    It's not too bad a price for the handset with the credit, but as you
    have found the cost of the calls are rather high compared to other VoIP
    services or even from you standard home phone.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 19, 2006

  3. RX.3000

    Dayvem Guest

    Maybe

    http://www.yealink.com/en/otherdown.asp

    Dayvem, Aug 19, 2006
  4. It's a bog-standard USB device. Yealink phone. I got it to work OK under
    both XP and Linux with X-Lite. There is an application called X-TenMate
    to get the buttons to work under XP, and there is driver support built
    into the latest Linux kernels that make the buttons just work like the
    keyboard equivalents.

    The sound quality seems more than adequate. The coily lead is a bit
    "stiff" though, but it'll ride up with wear...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 19, 2006
  5. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 19, 2006
  6. RX.3000

    paul123 Guest

    Sorry, but every time I hear someone talk about these Tesco phones, I
    always think of Peter Corlett's post where he says he'll wait for the
    blue Value version... Classic! Sums it up as an overpriced service.

    That said, for many it could be a stepping stone to better things.

    The post I'm referring to was here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/uk.t...lnk=gst&q=tesco+value&rnum=2#31c975a66082bcdc

    paul123, Aug 19, 2006
  7. Haha - Very good! I only bought it as I though I't might actually be
    worth 15 quid to see how USB handsets worked under Linux with an asterisk
    system... Money well spent I reckon! I might even try to install their
    s/ware just to use the fivers worth of call credit too... (Which is, as you say,
    overpriced!)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 20, 2006
  8. RX.3000

    paul123 Guest

    After all, it's only 15 knicker.
    As I qualified myself..."for many it could be a stepping stone to
    better things."

    However, in terms of numbers and perspectives.... 5 quid credit with
    Tesco is worth 250 minutes in calls to UK landlines......the 15 quid
    asking price is close on € 22 - or 8 months calling to UK landlines
    on voipstunt etc at 300 mins per week... and you could still have that
    €22 credit on your account.

    paul123, Aug 20, 2006
  9. RX.3000

    Graham Guest

    After all, it's only 15 knicker.

    And for 5 knickers more I got a PAP2 from Comet a few months ago.
    Now that WAS good value.

    Graham, Aug 20, 2006
  10. RX.3000

    jasee Guest

    Yes, but topping up £10 gives you an extra 1,000 clubcard points <g> enough
    for about 10 blockbuster rentals!

    jasee, Aug 20, 2006
  11. RX.3000

    Doz Guest

    I got one due to the fact that I'm emmigrating to NZ and the mother-in-law can
    ring the wifes "local" Tesco voip number. (area 01554)

    Doz, Aug 22, 2006
  12. RX.3000

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    You can use any service that issues local UK numbers for that, if you have
    the same service at both ends it'll be free calls at all times..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 22, 2006
  13. Thus spaketh Doz:

    Sipgate, OrbTalk, VoIPTalk and others issue 'local' numbers, also offer
    free calls between users.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 22, 2006
  14. RX.3000

    erictrantor Guest

    I have read this post with great interest and found the web sites to
    the Sipgate, OrbTalk, VoIPTalk firms. Before I go back to reading the
    small print of each to determine which will suit me best can you
    clarify one small point for me please;
    Do they offer free calls between their own users?
    ie. OrbTalk to OrbTalk
    Do they offer free calls between each others user?
    ie. Sipgate to VoIPTalk for example

    The only info I have gleened from swotting up is that Sipgate used to
    offer cross-user free calls, but now have fallen out with Gradwell or
    something and this cross-user free calls ended?

    As I say, I am not claiming that the above is correct but that I am
    confused by having read some-such. I would greatly appreciate an
    experienced user to clarify for me. Also, if a user of one of the
    many Voip services does not have a number but only a user name how
    does an on-screen dialler call such a person? Is the Voip user name a
    bit like an email address?

    Thanks very much.

    Eric

    erictrantor, Aug 22, 2006
  15. RX.3000

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    Calls are always free between users of the same network. Peering
    arrangements/agreements vary, check with the provider you want to use.
    Not exactly. The current status is that the peering between the two has
    broken from Gradwell to Sipgate (but not the other way round, that still
    works) and they're still trying to fix it.
    Most if not all systems issue a PSTN number wihch is usually an expansion
    of the SIP number which you would dial internally. For example one of my
    Sipgate numbers is 314xxxx and that will work from Sipgate to Sipgate
    users, but from the PSTN you would dial the public number 0121 314 xxxx.

    A full SIP address will be in the format and if the
    equipment you are using is capable of dialling in that form, then it will
    also work.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 22, 2006
  16. RX.3000

    wikedhumor Guest

    Thank you very much indeed. That has put matter very much clearer for
    me. I have spent such a lot of time reading web-pages at the Service
    Providers and completely failed to discover a clear and succinct
    explanation such as yours.

    Eric

    wikedhumor, Aug 22, 2006
  17. RX.3000

    Jono Guest

    .............And to clarify further, it's Sipgate that have broken it & it's
    Sipgate that are <apparently> trying to fix it.

    Jono, Aug 22, 2006
  18. RX.3000

    Brian Guest

    Perhaps what you meant to say was that Gradwell have nothing whatsoever
    to do with Sipgate's decision to stop their customers receiving SIP
    calls from networks other than their own.
    It is not broken in the sense of some unforeseen consequence of a change
    to the network configuration. It was made that way deliberately. They
    are not trying to fix it. Quite the opposite in fact; they have no
    intention of changing back to allowing their users to be contacted by
    SIP URI.

    Brian.

    Brian, Aug 22, 2006
  19. RX.3000

    paul123 Guest

    Just a side note on voiptalk. If you go through their website, you'll
    be asked to cough up 2 squid a month for a geo number.

    However, if you do a search on this group for "voiptalk", you'll find
    the first post by of the first link gives
    you a link to a free geo number plus 2 squids of free calling credit.

    paul123, Aug 22, 2006
  20. RX.3000

    Ivor Jones Guest

    No, but it was an error in Gradwell's case, they are a legitimate peering
    network and it should work.
    Not so in the case of Gradwell. I have spoken to both "sides" on the
    matter and both assure me it will be sorted out, I just can't seem to find
    out when..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 22, 2006