Tesco Internet Phone closing

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Mar 25, 2010.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    I had a look at the Localphone website and couldn't find what I was
    looking for.

    Can Tesco numbers be ported to LocalPhone? I have a very good Tesco
    number that I'd like to keep if possible and don't mind paying a
    small(ish) fee to keep it. Or are there any other cheapish options to
    port elswhere? I only need to keep the number and accept calls on that
    number.

    Localphone.com numbers are no longer free.
    Also, the site is a tad confusing, when you sign up it appears that
    it's just a callthrough service, you have to convert your account to voip,
    and there are two buttons labelled 'voip' to confuse you. Its the lower one you need

    Then you can add a geographic number.

    Try sipgate.com instead. very easy to navigate website, free geographic number,
    and some good features including voicemail.

    I don't use them for outgoing calls except 0800 etc,
    I use a separate service smslisto.com, but when my credit runs out I will
    move to voipgain.com
    Even if you are using a device that only supports a single account, it is still
    possible to direct incoming calls to the same device

    Graham., Apr 3, 2010

  2. Graham.

    Voiptalker Guest

    Apparently you can't transfer a number from LocalPhone TO another
    company - the question is if they will accept and transfer from
    another company, ie a Tesco number. I understand their "add a
    geograpic number" as saying they'll provision you with a voip geo
    number.... Or does it?
    Main issue with Sipgate.co.uk is that I'm in Spain and you can't
    register for a UK geo number from outside the UK. Don't know if
    they'll port/transfer Tesco numbers? If so, then it might be an option
    (using some kind of UK proxy service).
    Yeah Graham, I also use a couple of Betamaxes, voipstunt and
    smsdiscount, for my outgoing with voiptalk as a backup on an Asterisk
    box.

    The main thing is to keep that nice Tesco number if at all possible.
    Cheers

    Voiptalker, Apr 3, 2010

  3. Graham.

    Soruk Guest

    Don't know how - Tesco's prices were higher than Freshtel's, at least
    for UK calls.

    Soruk, Apr 7, 2010
  4. Graham.

    Soruk Guest

    Soruk, Apr 7, 2010
  5. Graham.

    Dom Guest

    Tesco have sent me the unlock instructions and I have managed to use my
    betamax account :)

    Shame about the 05 number that I have for incoming calls..

    I have looked at http://www.ukddi.com/

    Is there a way on the Siemens phone I can use betamax for outgoing and
    another provider with an 01 OR get ukddi to work ~not sure how to though

    Thanks all

    Dom

    Dom, Apr 24, 2010
  6. Graham.

    Dave Saville Guest

    Well seeing as how you can have 6 VOIP accounts on the thing - yes. I
    have at least four - I think :)

    Dave Saville, Apr 24, 2010
  7. Graham.

    Dom Guest

    Well seeing as how you can have 6 VOIP accounts on the thing - yes. I

    Do you have an unlocked Tesco internet siemens (dp450 ip) phone flashed
    with the unlocked software?

    Once unlocked tesco say to look at the manual for a Gigaset S450 IP
    http://gigaset.com/medias/sys_master/A31008-M1713-L121-2-7643_en_GBR_NET.pdf
    and it does say 6.
    But in the web configurater I can only see the option of 1 and can not see
    how to add extras,

    Dom, Apr 24, 2010
  8. Graham.

    Dave Saville Guest

    I thought you were supposed to do the unlock thing and *then* load the
    "normal" firmware - Then you should see 6 + their own network.

    Dave Saville, Apr 24, 2010
  9. Graham.

    Dom Guest

    http://gigaset.me.uk/Unlock_Tesco_DP450_IP.pdf

    I got e-mailed the above.

    It updates to latest tesco first.. then unlocks and then does another
    software update,

    I still can see only 1 voip :-(

    Dom, Apr 24, 2010
  10. Graham.

    andrew Guest

    Yes it's the loss of the incoming local number that bugs me.

    What use for the internet phone adapter now?

    AJH

    andrew, Apr 25, 2010
  11. Graham.

    Dave Saville Guest

    Go to the status page. What does it say for version:

    Firmware version: 022230000000 / 043.00
    EEPROM version: 183

    Is the latest for S450IP.

    You are on the "connections" page?

    Dave Saville, Apr 25, 2010
  12. Graham.

    Dom Guest

    Went to the status page and says:

    Software
    Firmware version: 022230000000 / 041.00
    EEPROM version: 183

    Looks like it has there for NOT updated with latest firmware

    i goto bas settings and software update and it says i have the latest :-(

    Dom

    Dom, Apr 25, 2010
  13. Graham.

    Dave Saville Guest

    It *ought* to be possible to download the image and apply it locally.
    Never tried though.

    Dave Saville, Apr 25, 2010
  14. Graham.

    davehare

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    help please

    1st post here so if i've done anything wrong or put it in the wrong place i apologise now

    help needed

    been running tescos internet phone for a few years now. obviously we need to change as of tomorrow. being as we are in rural spain an internet based phone system is our only communication. 2 of us in the area have tescos siemens dp450. i have unlocked both from the tescos network. i have signed us both up for a sipgate account and phone number. i have installed the sigate details on the web configurer for both our phones. i also have the xlite softphone on my desktop from when i first sorted sipgate couple weeks ago. heres the problem

    i can recieve a call from a uk landline or mobile number no problem on the dp450

    she can recieve a call from a uk landline and mobile no problem on her dp450

    i can call 10000 test number from the xlite software no problem

    i can call her dp450 from the xlite software no problem

    she can call me on the xlite software from her dp450 no problem

    what we cant do is call each other from the dp450. likewise if i try and call 10000 from my dp450 it doesnt work. neither does hers.

    need to try get it sorted asap as we have friends and family in uk and other countries who all need to download and sort this so we can chat.

    really hope theres some helpful people out there who can help

    only info i know that you may need is

    as we are in a rural area there is no mainstream internet provider. so we are on a shared network. i dont see this as a problem i dont think she would be able to call me on the xlite from her dp450 and vice versa. i do hear about problems with routers and firewalls and something called nat? in my house i have plugged the phone directly into a switch and the internet, BEFORE my router and obviously before any firewall. that said im sure that my internet provider will have some kind of firewall and router system to distribute his signal. but i wouldnt have a clue as to what to ask him for to allow my phone to wrk, IF thats the problem. any more info you might need to help id happily provide. only other thing i can think of is on sipgates site where it tells you how to configure it does mention about making some changes in dtmf menu. but the image on the page does open so i cant tell if they are set right or not

    sorry its long winded just wanted to give as much info as i could think of

    looking forward to some help

    dave (got a very frustrated wife now) hare :)

    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
    davehare, Apr 26, 2010