    not see them for a while. I wonder if EL is converting to an
    outsourced news feed. As an ISP news feed, it sucks (See MISS, above),
    but it's not normally down, in this fashion.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2005

  2. Blinky the Shark

    joevan Guest

    Not down. Working fine here in USA.

    joevan, Sep 16, 2005

  3. Blinky the Shark

    trout Guest

    I guess he's gone back to phoning people, to see if their refrigerators
    are running....

    Or spending his days pretending he's thrown the ball for the dog.
    "Ha ha. I tricked you."

    trout, Sep 16, 2005
  4. As an EL customer, I *am* in the USA. :)

    <trying again>

    Weird. Still no go. Still getting the 502 error.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2005
  5. I don't think he will be around until half-term.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 16, 2005
  6. I'll bet his dog is smarter than he...er...than that.

    Meanwhile, the Earthlink Thing is weird. joevan just reported it okay;
    I still get the "Service restricted to Earthlink member networks" error.
    I'm on an Earthlink dialup.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2005
  7. Blinky the Shark

    Mike Easter Guest

    I frequent the EL support ng/s. It is a common problem for EL to get
    'mixed up' about which netblocks it should consider foreign and which
    ones to allow access to the EL newsservers.

    In the past it tended toward considering some foreign blocks to be
    acceptable which were actually foreign, which allowed previous
    relationships, say between Charter and EL [someplace Charter provides
    infrastructure for EL access, then they get a divorce and you can't get
    EL thru' Charter there anymore] would allow the now Charter person who
    maintained an EL email addy [some kind of deal] to still be able to get
    EL newsservers - but then when the foreign vs 'domestic' gets
    straightened out, the now Charter person with an EL email addy can't
    access EL news with their Charter IP -- only with the 10 hours of EL
    dialup which also comes with the package.

    And so forth. Many such stories. Including those who would access EL
    thru' a dialup infrastructure, say level3, who should be able to access
    EL news because the dialup access is supposed to have a 'deal' with EL;
    but the 'deal's' ability to know what is what is so complex they can't
    keep it straight.

    As a result, when you try to access by some infrastructure which EL
    doesn't recognize as non-foreign, then you can't get in.

    I've had no trouble accessing EL news. My infrastructure is via TW
    called RR fiber, but my EL IP is named mindspring.

    Mike Easter, Sep 16, 2005
  8. Of course the dog may have figured it out and is throwing the done to
    Neville <VBG>

    Top

    Top (retired), Sep 16, 2005
  9. Could they have hired Neville? Or Trish?

    Top

    Top (retired), Sep 16, 2005
  10. I used to. I gave up because it was always "must be your
    configuration", never an EL issue.
    In fact, just to be doing *something* constructive <g>, I dropped my EL
    connection and logged in again -- and I can raise the news servers okay.

    Yes, I used the same dialup POP (Point Of Presence, not Post Office
    Protocol <g>).

    This time EL realized I was *on* EL. Duh. :)

    Thanks for the backgrounder, Mike.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2005
  11. Julie P. in charge of security? :)

    For the record, EL's NNTP is working now. As I discovered, and as Mike
    Easter confirmed, EL sometimes can't figure out that when you're
    connected via an Earthlink dialup you're an Earthlink subscriber. Duh.

    I dropped my connection and dialed in again (via the same phone number)
    and now it lets me access NNTP.

    Yeah, it's gotta be neville. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2005
  12. I think something or someone hasta be boning neville. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2005
    Nah. He's just a plain bonehead.

    The Old Sourdough, Sep 17, 2005
  14. Blinky the Shark

    clot Guest

    Hell's Bells! This is serious news. I rely upon Mr. Nevilleson's weather
    forecasts. I wouldn't dare to sail the Irish Sea without his sound
    information. What am I going to do? (there ain't no cure for the
    summertime blues).

    If this persists, you realise there could be another round of
    redundancies coming up!

    C :)

    clot, Sep 17, 2005
  15. Turned out to be EL not recognizing (at least one of) their own dialup
    access numbers. They couldn't tell I was *on* EL. Duh. I dropped
    off and called back, and with the new connection (even via the same
    phone number), everything was normal.
    I'd love to help you, son, but you're too young to vote.
    I checked with the Department Of Redundancies Department, and they have
    nothing planned.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 17, 2005