Tenergy AA/AAA capacity ratings?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Thomas T. Veldhouse, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. Has anybody here used the Tenergy (All-Battery.com being the largest supplier)
    AA or AAA NiMH batteries? Has anybody tested the actual capacity of these
    things using the IEC standard for this [in partucilar, as implemented in the
    Maha Powerex MH-C9000 (0G* model)?

    I bought a set of four of the 2600mAh batteries and found the following; 1752,
    1806, 1824 and 1948 mAh capacity ratings using this method (break-in on the
    C9000 charger). All tests were started with the batteries fresh as shipped
    from All-Battery. Further, all shows no charge capacity when tested with my
    ZTS MBT-1 Pulse Load Multi-Battery Tester.

    These numbers seem absurd, frankly, a case of false advertising. I admittedly
    have a small sample, only four AA batteries, but there is no sign that they
    come from the same batch. I have read a few reviews of quality and a few
    reviews of lower than expected capacity. Still, 700-800mAh less than the
    labeling suggests is simply wrong. My Maha Imedion batteries are showing
    between 2220 and 2290 mAh consistantly and they are labeled at 2100mAh. You
    obviously get what you pay for. But, more importantly, you should get what
    you are paying for. I bought those Tenergy batteries with the expectation of
    2600mAh and I understand that variance might show these batteres as low as
    2400mAh or so .... but 1800-1900mAh? That is instane and a clearly falsely
    labeled battery.

    Again, I emphasize that I only have four batteries to judge from. Further, I
    bought their low self discharge 2300mAh batteries [3 packs of 4 batteries] and
    I am still in the process of determining the capacity ... but I should know
    soon, but what I saw during the discharge process looked like they would at
    least be approaching 2100mAh, which is much more what I would expect on the
    low-end.

    Anyway, the jury is still out. Does anybody else have experience with these
    batteries and can indicate what kind of capacity they have seen with them?

    I guess this has turned out to be more of a hobby than a useful addition to my
    home as I have more batteries now than I have devices to use them ;-)

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Feb 25, 2008

  2. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    a.hedvalls Guest

    Hello Thomas.

    Tenergy Li-Ion 2600 mAh cells has less capacity than 2000mAh.

    Tenergys CR123 is pretty good.

    A lot more people than you had problems with Tenergy AA 2600 mAh Ni-MH
    cells, they perform not well.

    The best AA Ni-MH cell is probably MAHA Powerex 2700 mAh. Very little
    selfdischarging and pretty much the same capacity that advertised.

    Anders

    a.hedvalls, Feb 29, 2008

  3. CA State AG should be contacted if this is consistant.
    Seems like it is pretty tough to make a poor one use lithium battery, eh?
    I have more coming so that I have a statistical sample. If they all
    consistantly function poorly, I will be drafting a letter to the California
    Attourney General about this business of falsely advertising their product
    [and thus taking away good business from competitors].
    The 2700mAh has plenty of self-discharge [although not bad for a regular high
    capacity NiMH battery]. I am a big fan of the Maha Imedion batteries as they
    are rated at 2100mAh and typically run from 2220-2290mAh in my testing and
    have been the best low-self-discharge batteries I have used to date.
    Thanks for your response.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Mar 3, 2008
  4. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    a.hedvalls Guest

    Hello Thomas.

    Yes Maha Imedion have better capacity than Sanyo Eneloop but only when
    discharging at moderate current (less than 3A), with 3A and more Sanyo
    Eneloop perform better.

    I am testing some Imedion cells and soon, 15/3 and 18/3 comes the 3
    months selfdischarge test.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=182914&highlight=imedion

    Anders

    a.hedvalls, Mar 9, 2008
  5. That is all fine and dandy, but at a 3A draw, assuming the batteries are not
    damaged by this, one should probably be using high capacity batteries instead
    of low self discharge batteries for their applications, eh? I suppose there
    are cases where such use might be useful, but in general ...

    I can't believe that a 3A draw from a single AA NiMH cell would not be a
    damaging draw in any event; at least, for more than a burst.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Mar 10, 2008
  6. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    a.hedvalls Guest

    Hello Thomas.

    Yes, 3A and more is much for a AA cell.

    It was just a comparison between Sanyo Eneloop and Maha Imedion.

    Some of us on CPF use AA cells in flashlight that is draining the
    cells very much.
    Eneloop can deliver much current, that is why I told you the
    difference, Eneloops earlier tested at 8A with good results:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=149804&highlight=eneloop+study

    But for the ordinary user of AA cells this isn't to much to bother of.

    Anders

    a.hedvalls, Mar 10, 2008
  7. Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    Sanyo seem quite comfortable about drawing 4A from an AA
    eneloop. See the discharge characteristic spec at:
    http://www.eneloop.info/uploads/media/Datasheet_-_HR-3UTG_01.pdf

    John

    John Henderson, Mar 10, 2008