    Perhaps I should sell this statement on TradeMe, it might be worth something
    as a collectors' item?

    BS

    J Smith, Nov 20, 2006

  2. J Smith

    Matty F Guest

    Why don't you phone them and tell them that you'll do just that unless
    they grovel.

    I have been phoned several times by TelstraClear wanting me to buy
    their ASDL.
    I have never been a customer of theirs and I explained that I never
    will be because of the total unhelpfulness of their support staff when
    I've contacted them on behalf of some of their customers. TelstraClear
    should spend a bit more money on their helpdesk and waste less on
    trying to get new customerrs.

    Matty F, Nov 20, 2006

  3. J Smith

    steve Guest

    TC have owed me $5.35 cents for 3 years now....and dutifully send me a
    statement each month telling me I have a credit balance.

    I have asked them to close the account and send me a cheque, but they said
    they can't do that for some reason that remains obscure even now.

    But 36 x 45 cents worth of postage would cost them a lot MORE than just
    giving me my own money would.

    steve, Nov 20, 2006
  4. J Smith

    Vista Guest

    I have also heard similar problems, and I believe fair go also featured a
    similar problem. Maybe you should take them to task over this and send them
    a bill for your time in sorting it out, as obviously their billing system is
    stuffed and they know it.

    Vista, Nov 20, 2006
  5. J Smith

    Warwick Guest

    I just had service terminated by slingshot for non payment (they were
    debiting a cancelled credit card). But I could sill log in, negotiate DHCP
    and get an IP. Usenet requests were explicitly refused by the server. No
    web pages would load. So I ran some traces to domestic and foreign IP
    addresses. I'd get to about 4 or 6 hops and then all requests timed out. It
    was like the internet had disappeared at the router just down the road. I
    rang their 0800 number and got no answer. I assumed catastrophic router
    failure, that they knew about it and the problem would be resolved shortly.
    After a week I spent the required 20 minutes waiting for response on 0800
    and discovered it was a billing problem that could be fixed in seconds.

    What an idiotic way to terminate service. You'd think an email might be
    more appropriate and effective.

    cheers

    Warwick, Nov 20, 2006
  6. J Smith

    Dave Doe Guest

    Bloody computers, who programs them! :) Phone TS accounts and they'll
    sort it - surely.

    Dave Doe, Nov 20, 2006
  7. Please pay it.
    It's the 20th of the month and it looks like their international
    usenet feed has stopped yet again! Your payment could be the amount
    they need to increase their monthly quota :)

    Malcolm Moore, Nov 20, 2006
  8. Don't forget the goodwill generating $7.95 late payment fees.

    Mark Robinson, Nov 20, 2006
  9. J Smith

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Umm, how would you get the email if your service had been terminated?

    Oh, you mean warn you first? :)

    ~misfit~, Nov 20, 2006
  10. J Smith

    Tony Guest

    I just had service terminated by slingshot for non payment (they were
    I would say you were being allocated a private (rfc1918) ip address,
    hense could access things withing their network only.

    Tony, Nov 20, 2006
  11. J Smith

    whome Guest

    He he thats a good one. This is the prob with computer systems in that they
    just do as they are programmed. I'd say this is due to some poor business
    analysis work and/or testing.

    Of course when you speak to them they would sort it out immediately.

    Send this to a newspaper, Telcos hate being in the news.

    whome, Nov 20, 2006
  12. J Smith

    peterwn Guest

    Just ignore it. The joke will be on Telstra Clear when you have a
    Baycorp record showing that you owe them 1 cent. Or when you receive a
    default summons to appear in court for 1 cent and you tell the local
    paper.

    peterwn, Nov 20, 2006
  13. J Smith

    J Smith Guest

    But couldn't their computer system be programmed to print an exception
    report for all "overdue" balances under $1 and exclude these statements from
    being mailed out? Yes, I need to speak to them, but like all other big
    businesses, they don't want to talk to you. You wait and wait and wait for
    someone to answer. Try ringing a bank (TSB excepted), an airline, the IRD,
    the Cook Strait ferries, a Telco, and then settle down with a good book for
    half an hour or so waiting for a reply. These days, it seems to be regarded
    as good business to REALLY ANNOY your customers, perhaps the Universities
    are teaching this philosophy, because it is now a very widespread practice!

    J Smith, Nov 20, 2006
  14. J Smith

    thingy Guest

    The in-competence of their billing dept exceeds the in-competance of
    their hell desk by several factors IMHO....about all I can say is about
    par for a Telco...then there are their sales guys who will lie to you,
    mostly not answer emails and phone calls, change their minds.....

    If I had a choice about Broadband/Cable I'd move....Paradise were
    great....Clear just suck....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 20, 2006
  15. J Smith

    Fred Dagg Guest

    LOL!!!!

    That's absolutely classic! Really, it is!!!

    You should get hold of TV3. They love things like this.

    Fred Dagg, Nov 20, 2006
  16. J Smith

    Don Hills Guest

    |Bunch of arrogant assholes. sounds like a job for Fair Go. It won't
    |make any difference, but it will expose them for the wankers they are.

    It *was* a job for Fair Go, a few weeks ago. Andy Knackstead fronted up
    again to explain it. Yes, it was a cock-up, and they fixed it, but initially
    they were caught in a Catch-22: They knew it was broken from the beginning,
    and tried to waive the 2 cents, but were told they were legally obligated to
    collect it. Law makers 1, common sense 0.

    Don Hills, Nov 20, 2006
  17. J Smith

    Warwick Guest

    ipconfig revealed address 202.***.***.*** which is not a private one. Or is
    it?

    Warwick, Nov 21, 2006
  18. J Smith

    whome Guest

    Yes of course , this is why I say it is a design fault that a decent
    business analyst would detect.

    I've worked on such systems and they always have something to either
    writeoff small balances or roll the balance forward to the next invoice.
    Obviously telstras either is configured incorrectly (probably) or does not
    have the facility (unlikely).

    Point taken about the phone system- they are usually quite diabolical. I
    note that not many companies answer systems have 'your call is important to
    us' anymore.

    whome, Nov 21, 2006
  19. J Smith

    Vista Guest

    It allcomes down to the customer. The customer expects to pay as little as
    possible, but costs including wage costs, do go up and customers don't like
    price rises. Therefore to compete with other companies they must cut back on
    costs such as customer service.

    Vista, Nov 21, 2006
  20. J Smith

    J Smith Guest

    Ultimately, it's customer service that wins new customers and keeps existing
    ones. Making it difficult to talk to a company representative on the phone
    is sure to reduce the number of customers before too long. Perhaps this is
    what these large congloms want, but it sometimes gives newer, fresher, and
    smaller companies the chance to get going.

    J Smith, Nov 21, 2006