    there that this happens to? Redial and its all good again. Wonder if I
    should tell clear something there end needs fixing.

    John

    kapute, Jun 3, 2006

  2. From this description, it's sort of hard to tell what may be causing it...
    It could be a number of factors including, line condition, type of modem,
    location, etc.

    What make and model of modem are you using? (e.g dynalink? Lucent tech?)
    Which location are you trying to connect from? (e.g suburb city and
    whether the location is rural or not) Did this start happening recently,
    or just when you signed up with Clear? What other devices are attached to
    your phoneline?

    One thing I can suggest is to go to the modem manufacturer's website and
    see if there is firmware or driver updates for your particular modem and
    see if that helps improves things.

    Hope that helps a little.

    TyphoonTycoon, Jun 3, 2006

  3. kapute

    kapute Guest

    its a lucent, in new plymouth. normal connect speed is 52k, but laptop
    connects at 53.3k. (no longer got it though) this has been ongoing, for
    long long time. i personally think that a clear server is crapping out
    or somesuch buggy thing happening. maybe they have some kind of
    authentication service that blocks it, who knows, since a redial
    usually gets it all going good again. usually first thing i do is load
    a group of 5 tabs, when the connection is stable this is fine, but
    first thing after dialing up its iffy, you can see lots of bytes being
    transferred, then two minutes later, no bytes transferred. pressing
    refresh, and still no bytes transferred. then you redial and its all
    good. will try another computer and see if that does it as well.

    kapute, Jun 4, 2006
  4. kapute

    Tony Guest

    Hmm.. the hundred thousand + dollar Lucent apx8000 crapping out (killing
    hundreds of users at a time) or the $20 winmodem in the laptop, I wonder
    which is more likley ?

    I would bet its interference on the line or a bad driver on the laptop.

    Tony, Jun 4, 2006