Telstra Clear broadband

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jerry, Dec 9, 2007.

  1. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    I got the following letter today:

    *important information regarding your broadband service*

    Over the last twelve months there has been a huge increase in the number
    of customers subscribing to the TelstraClear InHome broadband service.

    Unfortunately this growth is currently resulting in speeds for some
    customers on our 10Mbps plans being less than expected, particularly at
    peak times.

    We are working on installing new equipment to address the current
    situation but this will not be resolved in full until early next year.

    To make up for this situation we have decided to automatically credit
    your account with $10 each month until this new equipment is installed.
    This credit will take place from your next billing cycle. Throughout
    this period you will continue to get the same amount of usage included
    with your plan and your email will be unaffected.

    We appreciate your patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

    Kind Regards.....

    Jerry, Dec 9, 2007

  2. Makes a pleasant, if surprising change when companies actually make an
    effort to show their customers that they care, doesn't it. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 9, 2007

  3. Jerry

    sam Guest

    Its not the speeds, its the outages that are the problem.
    When I asked if they would rebate dialup charges when their cable
    service failed so I had to connect with them via dialup, their helpdesk
    refused and said their T&C doesn't guarantee a fault free service so
    they are not obligated to do anything. This was after 2 extended outages
    in a day, and regular extended outages recently.
    Their helpdesk reponse time was at 70 minutes so there must be a hell of
    a lot of people in the same predicament.
    I haven't received their rebate offer and I don't think extended outages
    are good enough regardless.

    sam, Dec 9, 2007
  4. Jerry

    Donchano Guest

    And actually admit to there being a problem, rather than being forced
    to admit it after denying it's existence - like the spin merchants at
    Xtra.

    Donchano, Dec 9, 2007
  5. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Yep, I was pleasantly surprised :)

    Jerry, Dec 9, 2007
  6. Confirmed and seconded.

    I recently had use of a slingshot adsl connection in a small provincial town
    for a few weeks: Considerably cheaper, twice as fast and with the same quota as
    the Telstra cable connection I usually use.

    Telstra refuse to provide any backup power for their remote demuxes and line
    amplifiers so they all go down in a power cut as well as regular unannounced
    planned outages for maintenance and level checking. Mosts telephone exchanges
    have good backup power systems so adsl connections served directly by these
    exchanges remain up in power cuts.

    Mark Robinson, Dec 9, 2007
  7. Jerry

    CM Guest

    Thank your lucky starrs that the Telstra Clear gods felt you worthy to
    be compensated at all. While outages etc are nothing but a pain in
    the arse, it's the general summary of telecommunications in this
    country (broadband particularly). Personally I'm with Xtra and
    they're about the same.

    CM, Dec 9, 2007
  8. Jerry

    no one Guest

    In Kapiti the phones go down when their is a power outage..

    Plus me thinks you are asking far to much and the cost would be massive, may be you just don't have
    a clue, here all of Kapiti would have to have a Total back up system.

    Just a thought is your house have a UPS system..?

    If not shut up..

    no one, Dec 9, 2007
  9. Then there is something wrong in the exchange.

    Exchanges are *supposed* to have extremely large batteries that run the
    *entire* telephone system.

    The telephone system is supposed to stay usable in the event of a power
    outage.

    Jonathan Walker, Dec 9, 2007
  10. Jerry

    Cima Guest

    Charming Woger...

    Cima, Dec 9, 2007
  11. Woger, Woger, Woger.

    Does your phone plug into the mains by any chance ?

    You see, my phone works fine in a power cut.
    Yes. Several hours worth.
    Et tu Brutus.

    Mark Robinson, Dec 9, 2007
  12. Jerry

    no one Guest

    Yes Telecsum no battery maintenance

    no one, Dec 9, 2007
  13. Jerry

    peterwn Guest

    That applied in the days of exchanges with copper pairs to each
    customer. If there is any intervening equipment which requires power
    that cannot be dragged out of the pairs, there would seem to be little
    tolerance to power failures. Cellular sites would not have too much
    in the way of backup power either.

    peterwn, Dec 10, 2007
  14. Just another good reason why nobody should rely on cellphones.

    Jonathan Walker, Dec 10, 2007
  15. So... in a serious emergency no only will the power be off and no water
    available, but none of the phones will work. due to Telecom having
    deliberately removed the batteries powering the telephone system.

    Jonathan Walker, Dec 10, 2007
  16. ... and IIRC, telecom are going to pull the plug on batteries in exchanges
    by (guessing :) ) about 2011, aren't they ? No more phone callls when the
    power is off ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 10, 2007
  17. Jerry

    Richard Guest

    No, they will have the phone delivered to you via a non copper medium
    by then, so the customer will have to power their equipment. What
    provisions are made for the fiber gear between the house and the
    existing exchange, I dont know, but I know that with fios in the the
    states you have a limited runtime battery in the telco's gear in your
    house, any longer and you need to power it yourself.

    Richard, Dec 10, 2007
  18. I'm sure they know what they expect 'customers' to do. I'll also bet that
    many/most won't be bothered to upgrade something that telecom broke. I
    suspect that telecom satisfaction levels will plummet to new lows ...
    assuming that is possible of course. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 11, 2007
  19. Jerry

    Bugalugs Guest

    Further details here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4178345a28.html

    Bugalugs, Dec 11, 2007
  20. Jerry

    Richard Guest

    Oh yeah, like that new subdivision in orewa thats getting the WxC voip
    product on telecom wholesaled fiber... yeah lots of copper there.
    Most people are very satisfied with the reliability of their landline.
    Infact I think you would be hard pressed to find people which have had
    outages on it which were beyond telecoms control (well, if their copper
    wasnt so decrepid the flooding wouldnt have gotten into it) - whereas
    with internet everyone has loads of outages, so I think you are right
    that unless the internet industry learns from the telco industry about
    uptime that there will be a lot more outages, but if that affects
    customers satisfation, I dont know since most people dont use their
    phone 24/7 to notice any small outages.

    Richard, Dec 11, 2007