    Just wondering if anyone knows much about this, have had it suggested to me
    that it may be causing the problem with not being able to access
    vodafone.co.nz:

    Nik Coughin, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Nik Coughin, Jul 7, 2004

  3. Nik Coughin

    AD. Guest

    Have you tried a traceroute?

    If you end up getting there via overseas routers, then it probably is
    something to do with the peering.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 7, 2004
  4. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Tracing route to www.vodafone.co.nz [202.73.199.35]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.7.1
    2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.138
    3 45 ms 44 ms 44 ms 219-88-160-1.jetstream.xtra.co.nz
    [219.88.160.1]

    4 46 ms 44 ms 43 ms 203.96.122.59
    5 54 ms 50 ms 61 ms 202.50.245.193
    6 47 ms 46 ms 48 ms 203.96.120.30
    7 44 ms 46 ms 45 ms vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz
    [202.49
    ..163.70]
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    etc.

    I don't end up getting there at all, it can't seem to get past
    vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz.

    Nik Coughin, Jul 7, 2004
  5. I know a fair bit about this, and it's not the cause of your problem.
    TelstraClear have absolutely NOTHING to do with the traceroute you
    posted in another post. That connection is Telecon from end-to-end -
    Global Gateway is Telescum's wholesale arm, and you're using Xtra DSL.

    Plus, Testicular a) aren't de-peering until 1 Novermber, and b) don't
    have control of the peering points. Their exit will not affect other
    people at the peering exchange, other than the changes to traffic
    roughts.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Jul 7, 2004
  6. Nik Coughin

    steve Guest

    Looks like their (Vodafone's) firewall does not return pings.

    This is not usual.

    steve, Jul 7, 2004
  7. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Ah... thanks Matthew.

    Nik Coughin, Jul 7, 2004
  8. Nik Coughin

    steve Guest

    UM....shudda been: This is not UNusual......

    steve, Jul 8, 2004