    Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
    not really good value for money when you consider the competition...

    What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?

    Adam Rosner, Nov 13, 2006

  2. Adam  Rosner

    Finch Guest

    I'm on the 10 Megabit plan... I find that:

    - When it goes wrong, it goes really wrong. Trying to get anyone to
    help you out of standard business hours results in "Reboot" "I'll book
    a technician". I have waited WEEKS sometimes to get resolution on
    faults.
    - Local internet is uber fast, matches what they say.
    - International is slow. Really slow at times.

    Personally, I have heard really good things about www.gasp.co.nz - I'd
    switch but they don't cover my area yet.

    Finch, Nov 14, 2006

  3. Adam  Rosner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    I am in chch too, and on tc cable. I agree that national is almost
    always fast, but that international is nowhere near my 4 megabit. I
    know this web site has lots of bandwidth to push with, so that is not
    it. Using winmtr, I have found congestion at TC's upstream provider.
    So basically, just like Telecom, they just rate the spead between you
    and their head end, which is usually only one or two hops on a tracert.
    Tool:
    http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/
    Bad hop:
    ae-32-56.ebr2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net - 44% packet loss
    Web site:
    researchchannel.org

    International seems to have poor performance from any ISP in NZ, and it
    does not seem to matter who you ISP is. Don't say it is because the pipe
    is full, here are the facts on why that argument is void:
    http://www.karen.net.nz/home/

    Dave Taylor, Nov 14, 2006
  4. Adam  Rosner

    juicyjuice Guest

    I have quite a bit of experience with Telstra, as I was with them for nearly
    2 years in Australia.
    Their customer service is 'scripted', meaning, those who first answer the
    phone basically have no clue about anything except what the script in front
    of them tells them. Which is great for common problems and n00bs.. problems
    are sorted very quickly. But for us more adapt users its very painful. Once
    you have worked out their system like I have, its easy to jump these guys
    and get to someone decent, in fact my calls are answered within a few
    minutes these days. I dispute that earlier poster about late night/early
    morning calls, it depends on how you operate your choices on the automated
    phone system :p I've been answered within 2 minutes by a top level
    technician at 2am.

    I have never had any problems with Telstra's side of speed to the Internet,
    my speed has always been my maximum (10mbit), even with International sites
    that can provide or do not cap the speed. I've only noticed minor slowdown
    in peaktimes once, and that was quite recently, last friday i think, but
    still above what adsl users get.

    Reliabiltiy was kinda flakey in my first month (august-sept) - with one
    night in september of a 5 hour outage, but since then it has been pretty
    solid. I do have my firewall pinging their gateway router, and it does
    register minor minute outages in early 5am mornings every few days, but
    nothing to jump up and down about, prolly maintenance. Reliability in
    Australia was actually worse, but that was a few years ago on ADSL.

    Billing is a nightmare with Telstra, always has been, same in Australia,
    fine if you dont change anything, but if you say change plans, or have some
    option that isn't norm, like a so called granted free month, then hell..
    trying to get the invoices right, can take several phone calls. But they are
    very understanding and helphful and usually rectify any problems, sooner or
    later lol

    Overall, I would say that TC Cable is probabaly the only broadband choice in
    NZ capable of actually delivering what they advertise.

    juicyjuice, Nov 14, 2006
  5. Adam  Rosner

    juicyjuice Guest

    Oh i did however forget to mention that I agree with others about the NNTP
    service or 'lack of' although we seem to be fine so far this month lol
    Havn't had any problems with mail.

    juicyjuice, Nov 14, 2006