Tell Me It Isn't So! Mk III's Focus Unfixable! (Rob Galbraith)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 10, 2007.

  1. Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 10, 2007

  2. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Scott W Guest

    I am glad I did not run out and buy one as soon at is was announced.
    Seems to be to be wise to wait a few months after a new model is
    released before buying one.

    Canon is not the old one to have problems in early units, the Leica M8
    was really something to watch,
    and I seem to recall problems with some models of Nikons when they
    were first released.

    But rush out and buy a D3 sight unseen and hope for the best, maybe
    there will be no problems with it but maybe...

    Scott

    Scott W, Dec 10, 2007

  3. Personally, I think it is a lot of stink over nothing. It was only a very
    tiny sampling of Mk IIIs that have the problem. Of course all of this gets
    blown out of proportion on the internet. Percentage wise there was very few
    people actually having issues.
    Yep! D200 banding and D70 GLOD or whatever the problem was. Again, very
    small samplings that got blown out of proportion.
    I'm not sweating it. The Damn D3 is aging like a fine wine out in the South
    Pacific. By the time the thing comes the novelty will have already worn
    off.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 10, 2007
  4. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Douglas Guest

    According to "Shutterbug" magazine the problem with Canon's 1D Mk III is
    only in a narrow range of situations (all the ones I need) and is no worse
    than the 1D Mk II. The article in issue 446 is quite interesting to read.

    Since getting a s5 Fuji Pro, I've started the long (and expensive) change
    over back to Nikon. I've never been satisfied with many aspects of Canon
    DSLRs. Not the least their AF capabilities which the Fuji (a D200 in drag)
    doesn't seem to have.

    The 5D and a couple of lenses went last night. I expect if no one turns up
    for the 20D stuff it'll go to EBay after Christmas. The arrival date for my
    D3 is "late January". I hope it arrives on time... Just the same, the Canon
    1 series of EOS cameras all had bugs. The latest 1D series seems to be
    following in the tradition.

    So far,
    The 10D had a problem when changing lenses Err99 was common.
    The 20D had a major focus issue not cured at the first warranty repair which
    took almost 3 weeks.
    The 20D grips were duds. 3 of mine wouldn't use the second battery and one
    killed the camera.
    The 5D was relatively trouble free except for the shocking banding issue
    when I used a 580EX flash at full power.

    The 580 EX itself has no clue about functions it is "supposed" to have. Like
    switching modes when the light falls below a (Canon) pre determined level
    (must be below candle light) and it has little or no ability to interact
    with the camera the way you'd expect a $500 flash to.

    The newest 20D had a 3mm back focus error at 1 foot (300mm). and from day 1
    it had junk floating around in the viewfinder. It took Cannon AU nearly 4
    weeks to charge me an $85 service fee and leave the junk in the viewfinder.
    Now it has a slight forward focus issue! Fortunately it only matters with a
    1.4 lens and I hardly ever use it.

    To date the s5 Fujifilm Pro record is much better. The camera is basically a
    D200 Nikon with a you-beaut sensor. The first one got dropped on it's lens.
    I had it repaired while I waited at a local camera repairer who used a Nikon
    lens mount to do the job and he even gave me a guarantee it would focus
    correctly! The second Fuji is at about 8,000 clicks and hasn't missed a
    beat.

    The Nikon flash system is something Canon should seriously consider buying a
    license to use. Flawless, even when used on a Canon camera!

    Just my take on Canon's I had since the 10D was released. Not a happy
    experience.

    Douglas

    Douglas, Dec 10, 2007
  5. Actually Rita, the issue with the focus was not a small sample. If you go
    over to sportsshooter.com, most of the guys there had the issue.

    All of the shooters that had them at the AFL this year, had the problem.

    It was actually more the reverse, only a small sampling of the users didn't
    have the problem.

    Hopefully Canon gets it sorted soon, I have a lot of friends that are
    suffering over this, as CPS cannot keep up with the repair demands and
    people are having to hire gear to do their jobs. I have heard stories of 3
    months waits for the repair to be done. Yikes.

    This problem has caused something that I am sure that Canon didn't think
    would happen for a while, it has allowed Nikon back into the major paper's
    here in Aus.

    Mick B

    Michael Brown, Dec 10, 2007
  6. That's my point. Most of these people got the problem by osmosis from
    hanging around internet forums. This plagued the D200 banding issues when,
    in fact, there was a very small sample of D200s that *actually* had real
    banding issues. It was chaos in these forums with everyone worrying about
    banding.
    It's not that I don't believe you, but "all" might be an overstatement.
    I've had slight issues with the Mk III and 500/4L IS using a 2x TC, that's
    it. And I'm not fully convinced that it was the Mk III's fault. There are
    lots of variables that one can attribute to user error. Well, that's behind
    me know.
    You bring up a good point. If a CPS member or any customers sends a camera
    back for this problem Canon is going to apply the updated fix whether or not
    there ever was an actual problem. This doesn't mean that all these people
    really had the problem to begin with.
    I think Nikon nailed it with the D3 and still wouldn't have any problems if
    Canon didn't have bad press about the Mk III. After owning a Mk III for
    several months all I can say is it is an amazing camera. If it weren't for
    the D3, I wouldn't have sold the Mk III. That's how close I came to giving
    up on Nikon. The only problem I have now is where the hell is my D3?

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 11, 2007
  7. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Annika1980 Guest

    Yeah, along with about 100 pounds of ass!

    Annika1980, Dec 11, 2007
  8. When I say all, there was only 3 of them that had the III at that point, and
    they definitely had focus issues on all 3 cameras. Being that they were all
    from the same organization, they probably bought them in a batch.

    Michael Brown, Dec 11, 2007
  9. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    Shit. Beat me to it. I would've gone for 200 pounds, though.

    Kinon O'Cann, Dec 11, 2007
  10. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    I downloaded a few of the high-speed sequences, examined at full res each,
    and can only conclude that the diffeences between the two camera is minimal,
    at best. Both are quite good, neither is perfect.

    Kinon O'Cann, Dec 12, 2007
  11. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Annika1980 Guest

    And it is a safe bet that no Nikon could touch either one of them in
    focus-tracking ability.

    Annika1980, Dec 12, 2007
  12. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    Ay, there's the rub. Will Galbraith subject the D3 to the same testing as
    the Canons? Will he publish downloadable file groups so we can really see
    what's going on? I really hope so. Despite Galbraith's shortcomings, I'm
    becoming a fan.

    Kinon O'Cann, Dec 12, 2007