    to find matter for his humour, but no matter for his instruction.
    __Francis Bacon..Advancement of Learning, Book I(1605)

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Mar 1, 2008

  2. ellis_jay

    richard Guest

    I have one my HP came with. Haven't used it yet.
    You need a drive that will write to the lightscribe disks, which are
    not the same as any disk. But AFAIK, can only print a "shadow" label
    in black and grey. Like a pencil sketch.

    richard, Mar 1, 2008

  3. ellis_jay

    chuckie® Guest

    I have three of them. The availability of disks is very good, HP makes them
    as well as Verbatim, and I'm sure there are others. Your CD or DVD player
    *must* be Lightscribe for it to work, there will be a Lightscribe logo on
    the door front along with the usual CD and or DVD stuff. The cost isn't
    much greater than the CD-RW or DVD-RW, although I can't quote a specific
    difference. It saves trying to stick a label onto a disk, as you can burn
    the info directly onto the surface of the disk (making sure that the proper
    side of the disk is down). I have burned pictures onto disks also, they
    are, as 'richard' noted a greyscale image, not color. The one that I did
    was for my son's wedding pictures and I burned the image of he and his wife
    taking their vows onto the disk. Came out pretty good, all things
    considered. The process takes quite a while to complete, as I recall, that
    particular burn took over a half an hour. Normal verbiage, like a song
    list, goes a bit quicker, but it's still slower than the burning of the
    contents. The two of the three that I have are LG's and the third is a
    Samsung. As long as your HP has the 'horsepower' to burn a CD or DVD it
    should have no problem with the Lightscribe. You basically lay it out just
    like you would a printed CD/DVD label...HTH...luck...

    chuckie®, Mar 1, 2008
  4. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    Can some of them be inserted in to a bay?

    Are color products available for non-professional use, one affordable?

    And how much/what kind of horsepower we talking here?
    Thanx to you and Richard...

    --
    He that cometh to seek after knowledge, with a mind to scorn, shall be
    sure to find matter for his humour, but no matter for his instruction.

    ellis_jay, Mar 1, 2008
  5. ellis_jay

    chuckie® Guest

    They come as regular DVD/CD ROM units, they can be internal or external.
    At this time, greyscale is all that is available AFAIK. I'm sure, somewhere
    down the line, color will happen, but that's not now.
    Just the normal 'horsepower', if you can burn a CD/DVD, you can do
    'Lightscribe', all you need is the proper unit.

    chuckie®, Mar 2, 2008
  6. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    I found this, kinda pricey:

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3398453&CatId=243

    Pixma is supposed to have a line of printers that will print to the cd or
    dvd.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Canon+Pixma+cd+labels&btnG=Search

    If this one works as well as the girl presenting it looks, I want one!:

    http://www.revver.com/video/502733/dymo-discpainter-cddvd-label-printer/

    Is this one of yours?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136136

    looks good.

    I am looking at this one, too:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827140024

    HP has this all in one printer that will print diretly to disks:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...nters&lp=4&type=product&cp=3&id=1175901727289

    Looks great for the money. I found the same price at all the sites I looked
    at. I read 35 reviews and most complained that the black ink went too
    quick. Nearly all reviews liked it. I found only one review where the user
    had actually printed to disk-or at least hinted at it.as he said he liked it
    that function. All but 1 complained about ink being pricey.

    ellis_jay, Mar 2, 2008
  7. ellis_jay

    chuckie® Guest

    The first group are all CD label makers, whether they print onto the CD or
    apply a label. The last two are your basic burners with Lightscribe,
    however, both are external, didn't you want an internal? If so, they are a
    bit cheaper...luck...

    chuckie®, Mar 3, 2008
  8. ellis_jay

    Phat Sam Guest

    When I got my HP LightScribe, (which for the record at the time was
    cheaper than any other Dual Layer DVD Drive, making it the best
    bargain) it had a link on a website I believe that said later on
    colored disc will be available (yet to see them), but they'll still be
    "Grayscale", in that instead of buring black on gold, you'll be
    burning black on blue, black on green, etc. Still 2 colors, just
    changin gthe color of the background more less.....

    Also worth noting to the poster, there's 2 basic technologies
    available that I've seen (the other escapes me at the moment)
    LightScribe (invented by HP) and another technology by another name
    that both does the same thing. The only difference being the type of
    DVD's you have to buy. For LightScribe you buy lightscribe DVD's, for
    the other brand you buy some pictureondisk or something like that
    dvds.... They're both similiar, but at least in this area the only
    DVD's I can find at Office Depot or Walmart are the Lightscribe and
    Normal DVD's, none of that other technology that I've seen online....

    Phat Sam, Mar 3, 2008
  9. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    You speakng about Flashscribe? Or Flashlabel? I think cd's are available
    at Tomshardware dot com and tigerdirect and possibly newegg.

    ellis_jay, Mar 3, 2008