    (I'm a newbie.). 55mm? cannot use old 35mm lenses? which companies &
    which models?

    thanks to alll

    Dave, Jan 3, 2007

  2. Dave

    Warren Block Guest

    The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 has a built-in, non-removable zoom lens
    that's equivalent to a 36mm to 432mm zoom on a 35mm camera.

    If you already have some lenses, look at the digital SLRs made by the
    same manufacturer.

    Warren Block, Jan 3, 2007

  3. It can take a front-mounted teleconverter. Olympus and a few other
    companies make 1.7x and thereabouts converters that will mate to the
    55mm front thread that the FZ7 has.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 3, 2007
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    thanx 4 help.. may a manually-adjustable zoom lens be used?

    Dave, Jan 3, 2007
  5. I doubt it. Typically, these teleconverters are fixed zoom, providing a
    constant multiplier to the camera's built-in zoom lens. I've seen
    various models advertised up to about 2.5x, which would give the FZ7
    something like a 1000mm equivalent lens. No guarantees on how good of an
    image you'll get, though.

    Honestly, I'd see how far you can go with the built-in 432mm equivalent
    lens. If that doesn't give you enough reach for the birds that you're
    after, then look into extenders, but at least give it a try before
    spending more money.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 3, 2007
  6. Dave

    Warren Block Guest

    The FZ7 zoom lens is manually adjustable with the control ring around
    the shutter release. The review of the FZ7 at http://www.dpreview.com
    has some good pictures and comparisons.

    Warren Block, Jan 3, 2007
  7. Dave

    Tony Nazar Guest

    I have an FZ-50 and the Panasonic teleconverter DMW LT 55 which will
    take it out to around 700. My primary aim was bird photography. I
    recently took some photos of a squirrel in a tree about 40 ft away. I
    cropped the image and came up with a satisfactory (not excellent, but
    adequate) result. I was handholding. When shooting songbirds or
    squirrels tripods and monopods just don't work for me. I dropped
    consideration of using spotting scopes because without very expensive
    scopes and physically large sensors in the camera, output will be less
    than good.

    I bought the FZ-50 new and the lens used from B&H - an outstanding
    company to deal with btw - at a cost of approximately $700.

    While shopping and comparing I was truly tempted by the Nikon D50 with a
    Nikon 80-400VR lens and a decent WA zoom to supplement. It would have
    replaced my Oly E-20 and an FZ 10. I know the Nikon would have been
    capable of providing output in the excellent category because of its
    physically large sensor.

    Why did I go with the Panasonic? Cost. The Nikon with lenses would have
    run me $2500. Since I'm retired I had no need for great resolution. I
    won't be selling 11X14's of that squirrel. Since I'm on a modest income
    I'd have needed to factor in the cost of a divorce. <smiling>

    Go to: depreview.com as suggested, but also check out
    imaging-resource.com

    Advice is fine, but you need to do a lot of research.

    Tony Nazar, Jan 3, 2007
  8. Dave

    J. Clarke Guest

    J. Clarke, Jan 4, 2007
  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    basically bc (this time of year in particular) I'm cheap & poor!

    Dave, Jan 4, 2007