    of the moon, etc, and I'm wondering if using a 2X TC would work with the
    scope. Or, will it make the exposure so long motion will be excessive?

    Anybody have any experience in such situations?

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 23, 2009

  2. Dudley Hanks

    PixelPix Guest

    The moon itself is as bright as a sunny day and exposures are
    generally quite short, so I think you may get away with using the 2x
    if it fits OK. Depending on your cam and it's noise characteristics,
    you also have the availability of using higher ISO to compensate for
    the 2x light loss.

    Cheers

    Rusty

    PixelPix, Mar 23, 2009

  3. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    --
    Take Care,
    Dudley

    The moon itself is as bright as a sunny day and exposures are
    generally quite short, so I think you may get away with using the 2x
    if it fits OK. Depending on your cam and it's noise characteristics,
    you also have the availability of using higher ISO to compensate for
    the 2x light loss.

    Cheers

    Rusty

    Noise doesn't seem to be too bad with the XSi high ISO speeds, so I wouldn't
    be afraid to use it. Also, I can switch in the optional high speed noise
    reduction routine -- haven't had to use it yet, so I don't know how
    effective it is.

    Thanks, Rusty, I'll give it a try and see what happens.

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 23, 2009
  4. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Thanks, Rich, appreciate the tips.

    Pulled the scope out this evening to check it out. My wife could only find
    the following info:

    Skywatcher
    d=130mm
    f=900mm

    Couldn't find anything written on the lens, but it came with 2 eye pieces
    with the following data printed:
    Super 10 Long eye relief
    Super 25 wide angle long eye relief

    Also, has the EOS t-mount for mounting Canon SLR cams.

    Probably won't get around to actually shooting anything for a week or two,
    since it sounds like we're in for a stretch of cloudy weather. As soon as I
    can get it out and take some shots, I'll give it a try.

    Once again, thanks.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 24, 2009
  5. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Pulled the scope out this evening to check it out. My wife could only

    Thanks, Troy, those links sound very interesting. I'll check them out while
    I'm (im)patiently waiting for a chance to set it up and click some pics.

    We've had the scope for a number of years, but never took any shots with it.
    Set it up a few times for the kids to look through, but (with the help of
    the LCD on the back of the XSi), this will (hopefully) be the first time
    I'll be able to see anything through it.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 24, 2009
  6. Dudley Hanks

    Twibil Guest

    Hint: read up on your Galileo.

    ~Pete

    Twibil, Mar 24, 2009
  7. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Yep, the XSi has mirror lockup, and I've got fairly easy access to that menu
    item. My camera actually has a fairly wicked kick when the mirror moves
    around, especially when using Live View, so I'll probably have to compose
    shots in Live View, and then go back to regular mode and shoot with mirror
    lockup.

    I want to pick up a remote control so I won't have to depend on the 2 sec.
    timer.

    Take Care, and thanks for the tip.

    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 25, 2009