  1. samg

    samg Guest

    Will the churn fee be charged to the user or the isp?

    samg, Oct 12, 2004

  2. user from what I have read.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 12, 2004

  3. samg

    Nik Coughin Guest

    What is the churn fee?

    Nik Coughin, Oct 12, 2004
  4. samg

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    It's that sick feeling in your stomach when you find out you have to pay
    a $100 fee to change ISP's cause the one your with is CRAP :)

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 12, 2004
  5. samg

    samg Guest

    bugger. I was hoping it was to the isp and that they would absorb it to
    attract new customers.

    samg, Oct 12, 2004
  6. samg

    Gordon Guest

    They will do eh? Sure thing.

    Gordon, Oct 12, 2004
  7. samg

    Chris Hope Guest

    I thought I read that the ISP had to pay it in order to prevent ISPs
    stealing other ISPs customers. It causes vendor lock-in if the end-user has
    to pay the churn fee.

    Chris Hope, Oct 12, 2004
  8. samg

    Gordon Guest

    Maybe later, but this will churn fee will only add to Telecom's profit.

    To me, a churn fee is ^&&^%$ %$65&(, read so much like Telecom. Where the
    %&*^% is the level playing field. We will have shops saying you have not
    bought anything but nevertheless you owe us a $567 churn fee at the rate
    we are going.

    So people, if you can obtain the services you require without paying
    Telecom, please do so. Ironically it is the "churn" which will kill it.
    For *real* competition is needed.

    Gordon, Oct 12, 2004
  9. When a user moves from Jetstream to UBS (or between UBS providers), the ISP
    is charged a "churn fee". If the ISP passes this churn fee onto the user is
    up to the ISP. It is not charged to an ISP if the customer is a new
    connection. This is an incentive for ISPs to gain "new users", not just
    poach each other's customers.

    So what happens when a customer moves from a UBS provider back to Telecom?
    Telecom pay Telecom?

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Craig Whitmore, Oct 12, 2004
  10. samg

    samg Guest

    ah thanks. Im looking at upgrading to jetstream and are looking at joining
    xtra for their free connection/1st month deal or orcon bitstream. The orcon
    salesperson I spoke to made out that if I left xtra to change to orcon after
    six months, xtra would charge me the churn fee. I would prefer to join
    orcon, and Im going to see if they will do a deal on the connection fee now
    rather than paying the same as a churn fee in the future.

    samg, Oct 12, 2004
  11. samg

    Stewbaby Guest

    Hopefully, Telecom pays the customer! Given that the customer has
    already been paying Telecom for nothing, a refund would be due to the
    customer.

    Hopefully,

    Stewbaby

    Stewbaby, Oct 12, 2004
  12. samg

    MarkH Guest

    Interesting that Xtra offer a service that telecom won't currently
    wholesale to other ISPs and if you join now and try to exercise free choice
    in a competitive market later you get fined for it.

    Wouldn't you think that telecom giving an exclusive deal to Xtra and
    keeping that deal unavailable to all other ISPs for six months would be
    quite illegal on the grounds that they are using their market dominance and
    control of the copper to squeeze out the competition?

    I say they should be give 2 weeks to offer the wholesale deal to the other
    ISPs, if they don't then they should be fined $1M per day until they
    comply. If only NZ had a commerce commission with some balls!

    MarkH, Oct 13, 2004
  13. ah thanks. Im looking at upgrading to jetstream and are looking at
    Be carefull. A number of customers have been "bitten" by this. Over the last
    few months Xtra and some other ISP's have been advertising "Free
    Connections". This free connection means you (depending on the deal) are
    "locked" into Telecom Jetstream for 6 Months and if you leave before that
    (leave = going to a UBS plan) then you have to pay a "disconnection fee". So
    you either pay $100 for the install or pay later $100 to move to a UBS
    provider).

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Oct 14, 2004
  14. samg

    Ryan_Jacobs Guest

    Whoa! Before continuing - let me clarify something - do you work for
    Orcon? I know the answer, but, I'd like to give you the opportunity of
    being upfront about this first.

    What you have stated is partially true. But, you embellish the truth
    somewhat.

    Maybe you'd care to inform people the full facts?

    Hint: going to another plan will not cost you a single cent - if you
    remain with the same provider.

    /Begin Sig
    Welcome to RJ's house of idiots
    #1. Redbaiter - the puppet - dances when I say so
    #2. Harry the troll - monkey see, monkey do
    #3. Mr Scebe - 007, licenced to bore
    #4. <Position vacant>
    /End Sig

    Ryan_Jacobs, Oct 14, 2004
  15. samg

    MarkH Guest

    Are you sure that Craig made any kind of suggestion that staying with Xtra
    would cost you? The way I read his post was that changing from Xtra to
    another provider would cost you $100. The way I read your post is that you
    don't disagree with this point.

    MarkH, Oct 14, 2004