Telecom Xtra Wireless Connections.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by BMR, Mar 24, 2005.

  1. BMR

    BMR Guest

    Hey All,

    We have an Xtra Wireless connection, and at the moment it is connected just
    to one PC. What I would like to do is buy a Wifi AP & associated PC-card, so
    we can use the internet no matter where we take out laptops in the house.

    The thing is, the Xtra service requires you to authenticate, and it doesn't
    like more than one computer authenticating at a time. So, I have two options
    as I see it:

    1. Have some old dog of a PC running ICS and have a permanently
    authenticated session to Xtra (ICS? no thanks!)

    2. Buy a router (of some sort) and have it do the authentication, connect
    the second interface of the router to the wifi network and viola.

    For option B, what router would be the cheapest, yet the best for the
    situation? Someone recommended a Cisco 831, but it's a little pricy for what
    I want to do.

    BMR.

    BMR, Mar 24, 2005