Telecom will not have to unbundle local loop - Swain

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Mayhew, May 19, 2004.

  1. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Chris Mayhew, May 19, 2004

  2. Chris Mayhew

    ardz Guest

    ardz, May 19, 2004

  3. Chris Mayhew

    SNOman Guest

    Just read it before I saw your post.

    What a crock of shit!!!

    So I still have to pay my telephone line rental to Telescum and since I
    live just outside Albany and don't have continuous copper from the
    exchange to the house I'm unlikely to get broadband anytime soon. Can't
    wait til the new house is built and I'm back in an area with some other
    options.

    SNOman, May 19, 2004
  4. Chris Mayhew

    steve Guest

    Agreed. It sucks.

    But it could havce been worse. Maurice Williamson might have been the
    Minister under a National-lead government....and we would have the
    do-nothing approach and no telecommunications commissioner at all.

    It's small progress.....but the Jetstream 256k "Surf" option isn't a bad
    option compared to what we have had to put up with until now....and we
    would not have had it without pressure from the Govt....

    (Trying to keep this in perspective......*sigh*.)

    steve, May 19, 2004
  5. Chris Mayhew

    SNOman Guest

    I still don't have/can't get it

    SNOman, May 19, 2004
  6. Chris Mayhew

    colinco Guest

    Unbundling might have produced cheaper but somebody will have to replace
    the existing copper to deliver some of the fantasy speeds that the MED
    and others dream of.

    Without unbundling the replacement may happen sooner.

    colinco, May 19, 2004
  7. Chris Mayhew

    JedMeister Guest

    Probably not many people care anyway. NZ is a agricultural economy and will
    remain so.

    JedMeister, May 19, 2004
  8. Chris Mayhew

    Carl Elphick Guest

    Carl Elphick, May 19, 2004
  9. Chris Mayhew

    Carl Elphick Guest

    Carl Elphick, May 19, 2004
  10. The national Geek party, led by none other than me :)

    kidding... but it was proposed a while back.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 19, 2004
  11. Chris Mayhew

    steve Guest

    Not driven by competition....it won't.

    steve, May 19, 2004
  12. Chris Mayhew

    geoffm Guest

    Why - with no competition to force Telecom to actually do somehting
    about it, they won't bother. THa tis why the copper is run down in
    many parts anyway - no maintenance = big profits for shareholders and
    bonuses for execs.
    Geoff

    geoffm, May 19, 2004
  13. I haven't seen this, butr I know that there have been arguments pointing
    to the fact that "it works in the UK", etc.

    It doesn't work in the UK and moves are now afoot there to force BT to
    unbundle everywhere.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, May 19, 2004

  14. If the UK can't do it how can NZ...?

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 19, 2004
  15. From a business perspective, this kinda makes sense... get the profits
    out and run down the gear until the govt forces you to give it up to
    everyone else.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 19, 2004
  16. So Swain says let the competition install their own copper,
    if they can do it better & cheaper then the market is working...

    I'll sing another chorus:
    they unbundled the copper for electricity cos. pdq

    J.Random Luser, May 19, 2004
  17. Chris Mayhew

    EMB Guest

    In
    And that has been one big fsck up after another. They're now threatening
    the electricity industry with regulation, adding taxes to prop them up and
    doing everything short of admitting that it's been a total failure.

    I'd *like* to believe that LLU would be an improvement, and I think in the
    short term it might be. However at present where Telecom has a guaranteed
    monopoly some upgrades aren't happening (and they probably aren't
    commecially viable anyway) - introduce competition (with it's inherently
    lower profits and spread of those profits across several providers) and
    nobody is going to want to build *any* replacement infrastructure that does
    not make *them* a profit. IMO LLU will fsck rural NZ for even basic
    telecoms infrastructure quite quickly - will anyone want to pay to upgrade a
    local loop for 10 subscribers spread across different service providers?

    EMB, May 19, 2004
  18. Chris Mayhew

    colinco Guest

    Because for the average user electricity is 230V 50Hz from any supplier.
    I haven't noticed my power price dropping.

    colinco, May 19, 2004
  19. Chris Mayhew

    Mutlley Guest

    Don't see how that would change under LLU unless someone puts a DSLAM
    in your street.

    Mutlley, May 20, 2004
  20. Chris Mayhew

    Mutlley Guest

    And under LLU who will pay for this new copper??? Most likely the end
    user..

    Mutlley, May 20, 2004