Telecom the Worst Internet provider in the world

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by whome, Dec 20, 2006.

  1. whome

    whome Guest

    Very interesting - a company that deals with ISP's all round the world has
    stated that telecom is the slowest in the world . I expect this is partly
    due to their poor upload speed of 128. I don't get this upload speed limit-
    why don't they increase it to 512 - surely this would be easy and it would
    solve many probs.

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/3905450a4560.html

    It's love in the slow lane - thanks to Telecom

    You've heard of speed dating. In New Zealand it's conducted in the slow
    lane, according to a British Internet dating executive.

    But it's not because we're too conservative to sign up, or because we're
    suffering a man drought.

    It's because New Zealand has the slowest Internet connections in the world,
    Dating Association chairman Robert Fathers says.

    The British Internet dating executive has complained to Telecom NZ that many
    of his association's member websites were losing millions each month because
    of slow connections.

    Telecom "stands out a mile as the clear winner of the worst Internet
    provider in the world", Mr Fathers said.

    Costly 2Mbit connections were delivering actual Internet speeds equivalent
    to a 28k modem, and contacting customer support was "like disappearing into
    a black hole".

    Telecom spokesman Nick Brown said it was working with Mr Fathers to deal
    with his concerns.

    His claim that Telecom was one of the worst Internet providers worldwide
    appeared to be based on website loading times, which were influenced by a
    range of factors and not just the user's Internet connection speed, he said.

    whome, Dec 20, 2006

  2. whome

    none Guest

    Whilst I'm not Telecom's biggest fan, I find it incredibly doubtful that
    NZ broadband has any noticeable impact on the income of UK dating sites
    - let alone impact in the millions of dollars per month.

    none, Dec 20, 2006

  3. whome

    Kent Smith Guest

    It's to hobble free voip and video services so they can market their own
    expensive services.
    http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,8748,205500-201471,00.html?link=hpr

    Be interesting to see if these work reliably over 128kb/s or if the packets
    from these devices are somehow mysteriously prioritised over the telecom
    network. :)

    The default badwidth for ojo is 150kb/s, you can reduce it but it reduces in
    quality and framerate. I find Telecoms page, although technically correct,
    is cunningly misleading in that it states "a 7" screen, it's more than 3
    times the size of any hand held mobile phone screen". However the
    resolution, if you read the manufacturers technical specs is 176x144 during
    a call. So although larger, is the same resolution of a mobile phone. I
    believe if most people were aware it was the same res of a mobile, they'd
    choose not to buy it. Then again there's plenty of people running SDTV on a
    42" screens. :)

    Anyone used one of these ojo things?

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Dec 20, 2006
  4. whome

    Phil Guest

    whome wrote, On 20/12/06 3.02 p:
    The article is very vague on who this guy actually is. All a quick
    Google search turns up is this site: <http://world-dating-partners.com/>
    Look at how much money you can make!

    Is the NZ internet dating scene even worth millions of dollars?
    His sites don't even seem to target NZ.

    Yeah, they're also influenced by the ISPs transport to the UK.

    I won't deny that Telecom's DSL service is pretty crap, but I get pretty
    decent local speeds on it - the line isn't the issue, it's the ISP.

    -Phil

    Phil, Dec 20, 2006
  5. whome

    David Empson Guest

    The comment was from the UK-based chairman the Dating Association,
    saying their members in New Zealand (presumably people who are running
    dating web sites in New Zealand) were complaining about slow
    performance.

    I agree about the claim of the cost impact - if NZ's Internet is so slow
    that local dating web sites are losing potential paying clients, then
    where else are they going to go? Overseas dating web sites will be even
    slower for people in NZ, due to the thin and expensive piece of wet
    string between NZ and the real Internet.

    David Empson, Dec 20, 2006
  6. whome

    Fred Dagg Guest

    So maybe if these sites are worth "millions of dollars a month" they
    should consider colocated servers...

    Fred Dagg, Dec 20, 2006
  7. whome

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Yup. Usually the sort of people that run these sites aren't too
    adverse to talking out of a hole in their arses.

    Fred Dagg, Dec 20, 2006
  8. whome

    diogenes Guest

    Hold on a minute guys. The article does not actually say the millions
    were lost through NZ connections. If you are wanting to bash the
    wankers at Telecum for goodness sake get your facts straight.
    The reference to slow connections costing millions is in a separate
    paragraph to that criticising NZ Telecom. It does not specifically
    link the lost millions to NZ and therefore should most logically be
    taken to refer to slow connections worldwide.
    You are allowing yourselves to be used by the con artists that run
    these dating sites. They have their own agenda.

    diogenes, Dec 20, 2006