    http://www.telecom.co.nz/tstick?nv=tpd

    Thanks for your help.

    Podge

    podge, Jul 14, 2008

  2. podge

    Dave Doe Guest

    Dunno about Telstraclear, Vodafone have a Vodem (or a PC card) - the
    major drawback for these devices are:
    * very limited coverage at full speed (basically the main cities only)
    * very expensive data

    Haven't used Telecom's T-Stick, but the Vodem works well I find... at
    work/home the notebook is on WiFi, plug the Vodem in "on the road" and
    it just connects up and works (ie the connections work seamlessly
    together).

    Dave Doe, Jul 14, 2008

  3. podge

    podge Guest

    Thanks Duncan, that's interesting. I found some discussion about the T-
    Stick here:

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=39&TopicId=23839&page_no=1

    Telecom says that:

    "On average our Mobile Broadband cell sites enable download speeds of
    800Kbps and upload speeds of 300Kbps when using a Mobile Broadband rev
    a data device. "

    http://www.telecom.co.nz/tstick?nv=sd

    I guess these speeds would not be as fast as "wired" broadband? If you
    were just using broadband internet at home, do you think it would be
    better and more economical to buy your own router (rather than a T-
    Stick) if you wanted wireless internet for 2 or 3 laptops at home?
    Would the T-Stick system provide a secure way of surfing the internet?

    Podge

    podge, Jul 14, 2008
  4. podge

    Dave Doe Guest

    I think it's up to you to answer that - as it all depends on yer usage.
    If you think you'll be using more than a measly 1Gb a month - then yep,
    it's gonna be very expensive (if say you use 10Gb's!!! :)

    It's also easy and conveneient to share your router 'round more than one
    PC at home (WiFi or wired). Wifi router's are cheap now, and well worth
    the convenience IMO. Just secure it with WPA/WPA2 or a RADIUS server
    and change the admin password.

    Speedwise, well even if one of the PC's is so far away from the WiFi
    that the speed drops way down to 10mbit - it's still faster than yer
    ..8mbit T-stick speed - i.e. you're not limiting your internet speed due
    LAN speed.
    I don't think so.

    Dave Doe, Jul 15, 2008
  5. podge

    podge Guest

    podge, Jul 15, 2008
  6. podge

    Dave Doe Guest

    Dave Doe, Jul 15, 2008
  7. podge

    Craig Shore Guest

    With Vodafone my last few phones have let me use them to do the data
    connection for the computer via USB, Bluetooth, or Infrared. i.e. you
    don't need to buy the Vodem if you have a 3G phone.
    Casual data rates on Prepay at the moment are $10 per mb, which
    changes to $1 per 10mb per day later this month which will make it
    slightly more useable.

    They don't mention how the part charging is going to work which
    concerns me. The Web browser on my phone saves me getting out of bed
    to check the snow report at the moment :)

    Craig Shore, Jul 15, 2008