Technics SA-DX950 receiver and Dolby Pro-Logic

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Martin Nadeau, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I have a Technics surround receiver (SA-DX950) with built-in DTS, Dolby
    Digital and Dolby Pro-Logic decoders. It's been working very well for
    me with DVD's containing Dolby Digital and DTS material.

    However, I'm having problems with Dolby Pro-Logic material, which in my
    case is mostly the signal coming from my digital cable box (plus the
    rare DVD). My cable box is set to send a Dolby Digital signal; when it
    is received by the Technics receiver, I can see both the Dolby Digital
    and the Dolby Pro-logic logos light up on the display screen. However,
    in such cases the sound only comes out from my center channel speaker
    (although some of it "bleeds" through the main stereo speakers). Most
    of this material seems to be encoded in stereo (as the L and R icons on
    the receiver's display indicate), but it only comes out through the
    center speaker.

    Is there anything that I don't understand? Shouldn't the receiver
    automatically decode the Pro-Logic signal and play it accordingly?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Martin Nadeau, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Dolby Pro-Logic material, which in my
    Check the settings of the cable box and how it's set to put out the feed with
    its digital output.

    As for both Dolby Digital and Pro Logic indicators coming on at the same time
    on your receiver, this is likely to be normal. Sometimes, a stereo feed with
    Pro-Logic is encoded in Dolby Digital as opposed to straight PCM to conserve
    bandwidth. It's also possible that your cable box may be encoding the stereo
    feed into Dolby Digital on its own.

    Think of it this way: For stereo/matrixed surround broadcasts, the encoding
    format is Dolby Digital 2.0 while the actual surround format is Dolby
    Pro-Logic.

    Dolby Digital and DTS can both be more than 5.1. They can be 6.1 (Dolby
    Digital EX/DTS ES) all the way down to 1.0. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Aug 30, 2004

  3. Martin Nadeau

    Rich Clark Guest

    I have a DX-1050, a very similar unit.

    DD and DPL are not mutually exclusive. A two-channel signal can be (and
    frequently is) encoded using Dolby Digital. That's DD 2.0.

    If the two channels comprise a stereo signal, that signal can be Dolby
    Surround encoded. If the two channels are identical, it's "2-channel mono."

    In either case, the receivers DD light will indicate (correctly) a DD
    signal, and the L/R lights will also activate, indicating signal on those
    two channels.

    The receiver, if set to "surround," will automatically try to decode the
    stereo signal using its DPL circuitry. So the DPL light goes on as well.

    If the content of both channels is the same, however, DPL will decode the
    sound as the center channel signal. (That's what the center channel is in a
    Dolby Surround encoded signal: the sound that is of equal amplitude and in
    the same phase in both channels.)

    Do *all* of your channels come in mono all of the time? What if you use the
    analog audio connections between the cable box and the receiver?

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Aug 30, 2004