Technicolour TG789v3 from Zen

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Jim, Jul 15, 2014.

  1. yes.

    The Natural Philosopher, Jul 18, 2014

  2. Jim

    Davey Guest

    Satirical? I thought it was taken from life.........

    Davey, Jul 18, 2014

  3. The point was that the OP (who you failed to quote) had written 99p not £99.

    The ??? was in response to this monumental misreading.

    The Natural Philosopher, Jul 18, 2014
  4. Jim

    Mark Guest

    The OP says £99.
    ???

    Mark, Jul 18, 2014
  5. Jim

    Mark Guest

    What he said ;-)

    Mark, Jul 18, 2014
  6. he didnt actually. You have to go a bit furrher back in the thread.

    "You could if you could find it. I've done this with an old BT ADSL
    modem router I bought for 99p on Ebay"

    The Natural Philosopher, Jul 18, 2014
  7. I'm aware it happens. Like you though, I doubt Zen do. That's also based
    on what I know from our commercial relationship with Technicolor.

    As an aside, the BT Home Hubs that lock the DSL username will still
    accept the credentials of a Plusnet subscriber.

    Plusnet Support Team, Jul 18, 2014
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Penny's dropped.

    Something like the coundrum which questions whether
    a falling tree makes a noise if there's no-one around
    to hear it.

    Jim, Jul 18, 2014
  9. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Don't need VPN. Would've liked dual-band wifi, but as
    only the wife's laptop has 11ac it isn't a priority.

    Jim, Jul 18, 2014
  10. Jim

    Jim Guest

    If by OP you mean me, I don't think I did, quote:
    Anyone know whether this one is a special, specific
    to Zen or can it be used with any provider ?
    (£99 from Zen) unquote.

    Jim, Jul 18, 2014
  11. That wasn't the OP, that was me. The OP was asking about a Technicolor
    router available from Zen for £99. My later mention of the somewhat
    lower price of 99p was in connection with a quite different one.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 18, 2014
  12. Jim

    Adrian C Guest

    Regarding Technicolor commercial relationship, is there a support
    helpdesk for aid with the implemention of CLI features?

    I'm trying to fill the siaddr (next server) DHCP / BootP field. Not
    quite hitting the right CLI command to do it.

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2131.txt
    Top of page 8.

    Adrian C, Jul 18, 2014
  13. Jim

    DrTeeth Guest

    Why buy from an ISP anyway? Surely you can get better deals from a
    retailer?
    --
    Cheers,

    DrT

    ** You've never known happiness until you're married;
    ** but by then it is too late.

    DrTeeth, Jul 18, 2014
  14. Not being sure at the time exactly what would be needed, I decided it
    would be safest to buy something specifically recommended for use with
    the service. The cheapest router they offer is the Technicolor TG582n,
    and the price of £35.94 didn't seem unreasonable for such a thing.

    If I ever want more flashing lights and more technical gizmos to play
    with, I know these things are available at a price, but in the
    meantime the router I've got just sits there and works.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 19, 2014
  15. Jim

    Adrian C Guest

    Yup. That kind of works for one method of contacting PXE boot servers.
    However my lan is a bit all over the place...

    Seems a few heads have been banged against wall on this, for the moment
    (yup, me PXE booting things) I'm using another DHCP server (dnsmasq)
    configured as a proxy.

    http://www.neologue.co.uk/mwuki?title=Thomson+Speedtouch+telnet+interface

    I'll eventually crack it....

    Adrian C, Jul 21, 2014
  16. Nope, although I have a few contacts I could reach out to if absolutely
    necessary.

    I'd need a bit more background on exactly what it is you're trying to
    achieve though.

    Plusnet Support Team, Jul 22, 2014
  17. Jim

    Adrian C Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment

    Inside my local network, I'm trying to boot PC thin clients from a PXE
    boot server that's hosting a TFTP daemon - and normally that takes using
    DHCP options to define where that is.

    At the moment I'm using an additional Proxy DHCP service running on
    another machine (dnsmasq - works brilliantly), but in theory it should
    be possible to do without that by

    1) configuring 'next-server' directly (I wish...), or
    2) using DHCP option 66/67, or
    3) mucking about with menus and broadcast/multicast with DHCP option 43

    http://www.incognito.com/tips-and-tutorials/dhcp-options-in-plain-english/

    Unhappily, although the telnet CLI offers much of the promises of named
    option commands (see following) to do the task, none of them actually
    change the siaddr bit in that BOOTP/DHCP packet that I'm actually
    sniffing with Wireshark.

    Some of my CLI configuration attempts, option 66/67

    :dhcp server pool config name=LAN_private state=disabled
    :dhcp server pool optdelete name=LAN_private instname=bootfile
    :dhcp server option instdelete name=bootfile
    :dhcp server option tmpldelete name=bootfile
    :dhcp server option tmpladd name=bootfile optionid=67
    :dhcp server option instadd name=bootfile tmplname=bootfile
    policy=requested value=(ascii)pxelinux.0
    :dhcp server pool optadd name=LAN_private instname=bootfile
    :dhcp server pool optdelete name=LAN_private instname=tftp_server_name
    :dhcp server option instdelete name=tftp_server_name
    :dhcp server option tmpldelete name=tftp_server_name
    :dhcp server option tmpladd name=tftp_server_name optionid=66
    :dhcp server option instadd name=tftp_server_name
    tmplname=tftp_server_name policy=requested value=(ascii)192.168.1.123
    :dhcp server pool optadd name=LAN_private instname=tftp_server_name
    :dhcp server pool config name=LAN_private state=enabled

    And option 43

    :dhcp server pool config name=LAN_private state=disabled
    :dhcp server pool optdelete name=LAN_private instname=opt43
    :dhcp server option instdelete name=opt43
    :dhcp server option tmpldelete name=opt43
    :dhcp server option tmpladd name=opt43 optionid=43
    :dhcp server option instadd name=opt43 tmplname=opt43 policy=requested
    value=(byte_array)0601070807000e01c0a8018e090d000e0a426f6f745365727665720a090070726f6d7074203a4704000e0000ff
    :dhcp server pool optadd name=LAN_private instname=opt43
    :dhcp server pool config name=LAN_private state=enabled

    also adding Option 60

    :dhcp server pool config name=LAN_private state=disabled
    :dhcp server pool optdelete name=LAN_private instname=opt60
    :dhcp server option instdelete name=opt60
    :dhcp server option tmpldelete name=opt60
    :dhcp server option tmpladd name=opt60 optionid=60
    :dhcp server option instadd name=opt60 tmplname=opt60 policy=requested
    value=(ascii)PXEClient
    :dhcp server pool optadd name=LAN_private instname=opt60
    :dhcp server pool config name=LAN_private state=enabled

    Given that some of this is relevant to IP Phones as well as network PC
    booting, I'm hoping technicolor have a application note somewhere
    detailing hidden commands on enabling this stuff.

    Adrian C, Jul 22, 2014
  18. On 22/07/2014 11:51, Adrian C wrote:
    --8<--SNIP--8<--
    I'll see if I can get any answers for you Adrian...

    Plusnet Support Team, Jul 25, 2014
  19. Jim

    Adrian C Guest

    Thanks :)

    Adrian C, Jul 25, 2014
  20. I've uploaded the Technicolor DHCP config guide here -
    http://users.plus.net/QL:FC6411D2

    There's also a text file here containing some older commands used for
    BOOTP which is similar -
    http://users.plus.net/QL:717E6B6A

    Depending on the firmware on the 789vn the commands may be slightly
    different from those in the guide. Hopefully it helps point you in the
    right direction though.

    Plusnet Support Team, Jul 25, 2014