    Anyone know whether this one is a special, specific
    to Zen or can it be used with any provider ?

    (£99 from Zen)

    Jim, Jul 15, 2014

  2. Have you asked Zen? It seems perfectly reasonable to ask a vendor
    about the capabilities of something they're selling.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 16, 2014

  3. I'm using this device as a combined VDSL modem/router on one of my
    Plusnet FTTC lines at home.

    Admittedly, I didn't get it from Zen, but if theirs doesn't work with
    other ISPs, it would be the first instance of Technicolor locking
    routers to a supplier that I've seen.

    Plusnet Support Team, Jul 16, 2014
  4. Slight correction.

    It's a 589vn v3 I'm using on my Plusnet line and a 799vn v2 on my BT
    Retail line.

    same probably applies for the 789v3 though (aesthetically, it's
    identical to the 589).

    Plusnet Support Team, Jul 16, 2014
  5. I'm using a Technicolor router (though not the same model the OP is
    enquiring about) which I did get from Zen. I'm using it on a Zen
    account so cannot say whether it's locked, but it does show the Zen
    logo in the setup pages, so some customising must have been done.
    Whether this customising is only cosmetic or also extends to aspects
    of its performance is something I would want to check if I wanted to
    use it on a different service.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 16, 2014
  6. The GUI on our routers is customised too, however they can still be used
    with another DSL provider.

    Plusnet Support Team, Jul 16, 2014
  7. That's good to know, but it doesn't tell us about Zen. I've found that
    some routers supplied by BT won't save the settings if you enter an
    address that isn't one of theirs, so it does happen. I'd be surprised
    if Zen do this, but I'd still want to be sure before spending money.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 16, 2014
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    It is indeed and it appears I'll have to ask
    them as there doesn't seem to be any Zen subscribers
    on here.

    Jim, Jul 16, 2014
  9. Jim

    Graham J Guest

    There are lots, but they don't generally use the Zen-supplied router.
    For example I generally use Vigor routers, and I support 26 Zen
    connections. I have used TP-Link TD-W8960N routers for some recent
    connections, where a simpler VPN configuration is adequate.

    Graham J, Jul 16, 2014
  10. Well, as it happens I'm a Zen subscriber, but if you think about it
    that makes me one of the people least likely to be able to tell you if
    a router will work on a service *other* than Zen... :)

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 16, 2014
  11. Jim

    Davey Guest

    Ditto. It works, why would I worry about it?

    Ask Zen; if anyone should know, it would be them. They are a friendly
    bunch of folks.

    Davey, Jul 17, 2014
  12. Jim

    Mark Guest

    Even if this is the case I'm sure you could reflash it with standard
    firmware.

    Mark, Jul 17, 2014
  13. You could if you could find it. I've done this with an old BT ADSL
    modem router I bought for 99p on Ebay because there was nothing to
    lose by trying, but I wouldn't plan to purchase a new one with the
    intention of modifying it straight away. If you're spending money on
    something new, it's far more sensible to make sure beforehand that
    you're buying the right thing for the job.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 17, 2014
  14. Jim

    Mark Guest

    Agreed. At £99 it seems somewhat expensive for a basic ADSL router
    but maybe it has some unusual feature that the OP needs.

    Mark, Jul 17, 2014
  15. Jim

    Jim Guest

    That's the one I have: TD-W8960N V5 0x00000001
    so I'll keep that and see how it goes after it's
    up and running.

    Why has Technicolour and Vigour have to be mis-spelt?

    Jim, Jul 17, 2014
  16. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I had thought of that ...

    Jim, Jul 17, 2014
  17. Jim

    Jim Guest

    So I've noticed. And professionals.

    Jim, Jul 17, 2014
  18. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Don't think I'll bother if the TD-W8960N is a goer.

    Jim, Jul 17, 2014
  19. Jim

    Jim Guest

    They recommended the cheaper TG852N, but I probably
    won't buy it.

    What am I missing? I've been trying to figure out
    your sig for some time:

    If a man stands in a forest and no woman is around
    is he still wrong?

    Jim, Jul 17, 2014
  20. ??

    The Natural Philosopher, Jul 18, 2014