TDK disk problem

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by MarMac, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. MarMac

    MarMac Guest

    Hi there,

    I bought a 50 pack of TDK DVD-R disks. They are supposed to record for 4
    hours in EP mode. In fact, I have gotten 4 hours out of several of them
    while recording some shows from TV. It was in 1 hour or one half hour
    increments and had no problem.

    I recently recorded the New Battlestar Galactica miniseries on DVR from my
    satellite dish. I was going to transfer it from the DVR onto DVD using my
    GoVideo combination DVD/VCR. However, when I tried to transfer it, it said
    the disk was full at 3:52, not 4 hours. It wouldn't go to the full 4 hours.
    I tried another one and it did the same thing. Does anyone know what the
    problem could be?

    I did the entire Galactica series in one hour segments and it got the full
    four hours. It doesn't make sense to me, you would think that it would
    maximize the space on the disk better if it were not stopped and divided up
    into different files.

    I am trying it this time with Maxell DVD-R disks and hopefully, it will work
    with these.

    MarMac

    MarMac, Jan 20, 2005

  2. MarMac

    MarMac1 Guest

    After reading this post, I can see where this paragraph would bring some
    questions; I should have said, "I did the entire ORIGINAL Galactica series
    (the one with Loren Greene) in one hour segments and it got the full four
    hours per disk, i.e. 4 one hour episodes each disk."

    Hope that clarifies my original post.

    MarMac

    MarMac1, Jan 20, 2005

  3. MarMac

    Joe S Guest

    The amount you can store on a disc isn't actually based on time, but
    storage space. How much space your DVD recorder utilizes to record any
    given show is a function of its internal processing. It is not likely
    that a different brand of disc would result in a different result as
    they all store the same amount of data (4.7GB).

    If you were recording just a black screen (no moving image at all) I'm
    guessing you could fit a very many hours on a disc. If you recorded
    complex video (car race, surfing contest, etc.), that should likely take
    more space per hour.

    Discs are cheap...try some fun experiments to see just how your GoVideo
    works.

    Joe

    Joe S, Jan 20, 2005
  4. MarMac

    MarMac Guest

    Thanks Joe,

    I understand what you are saying. However, it still doesn't explain why I
    was able to do 4 or 5 disks of one hour shows and it did a total of 4 hours
    plus about 4 or 5 seconds for each disk, yet for this 4 hour mini series, it
    showed up 8 minutes shorter. There was no blank screen recorded, just TV
    viewing. I don't know if the newest Battlestar Galactica would have made a
    difference with the special effects or not, but it still doesn't make sense
    to me.

    BTW, I rerecorded it onto a Maxell DVD-R and this time got the whole 4
    hours.

    ???????

    Thanks.

    MarMac

    MarMac, Jan 21, 2005
  5. MarMac

    Justin Guest

    MarMac wrote on [Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:45:24 -0600]:
    And then you go on to prove that you don't.
    More movement, more things going on at once, all sorts of different
    factors.

    Justin, Jan 21, 2005
  6. MarMac

    MarMac1 Guest

    No, I actually alluded to that when I said, "newest Battlestar Galactica
    would have made a
    difference with the special effects or not," With all of the new special
    effects, that must be it.

    HOWEVER, it doesn't explain why a Maxell disk, DID record the entire 4 hour
    miniseries and a TDK didn't . . . . on the same machine. Can you make me
    understand that???

    MarMac

    MarMac1, Jan 21, 2005
  7. MarMac

    MarMac1 Guest

    The reason that I am asking this is that I am planning on recording the
    entire new Battlestar Galactica series as it comes on. I don't want to use 4
    hours of wear and tear on my machine and have the last 8 minutes of the
    series get cut off. I know that DVD-R disks are cheap, but I don't believe
    in just wasting them either. I may just do them in 3 episodes per disk.

    On my GoVideo dual DVD/VCR, it lists a "remaining time" on the recording
    status screen. I wonder how accurate that is? Is there anyway to tell how
    much of the disk has been used and how much is remaining?

    Seeking to learn, forgive me for being dumb!

    MarMac

    MarMac1, Jan 21, 2005