    How does this actually work; really don't understand "Port" usage by a PC ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Feb 5, 2005

  2. Robert11

    why? Guest

    Yes. If there is no running application to connect into then no
    connection can be made.
    A bit paranoid? It's not really so much an open port that's an issue
    it's the code that has weaknesses in it, allowing vunerabilities.
    How is complex. Lots of TCP/IP tutorials, see www.google.com although
    that's possibly too much info :)

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/p/port.html
    (2) In TCP/IP and UDP networks, an endpoint to a logical connection.
    The port number identifies what type of port it is. For example, port 80
    is used for HTTP traffic. Also see Well-Known TCP Port Numbers in the
    Quick Reference section of Webopedia.

    Me

    why?, Feb 5, 2005