    Should I have both checked or just one of them?

    thanks,
    chuck

    john, Aug 5, 2005

  2. john

    why? Guest

    That would be IPv4 and IPv6.
    http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_InternetProtocolVersion6IPv6IPNextGenerationIPng.htm

    http://www.ipv6.org/impl/windows.html

    The biggest difference is the address range,
    a rough guide would be

    IPv4 - running out of addresses for devices
    IPv6 - enough addresses for every grain of sand on the planet.
    340 trillion, trillion, trillion

    the numbers
    http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPv6AddressSizeandAddressSpace-2.htm

    You only need IPv6 if you have IPv6 devices, having 1 on it's own isn't
    needed and if you have an internet connection most likely your router
    won't support IPv6 , nor your ISP or much of anything else yet. Saying
    that there are some test setups and for home / office use IPv6 is fine
    IIRC on Linux/Unix.

    You could have 2 IPv6 devices connected together by tunnelling it over
    IPv4 and other fun things.
    Me

    why?, Aug 5, 2005